The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Glass eating - the real thing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tamip
View Profile
New user
Israel
12 Posts

Profile of Tamip
Hi all.
I have been looking for a method to eat real glass for quite a while, and I could'nt find anything. Im not talking about trick methods like the "geek magic" DVD, I'm searching for a practical method to chew & swallow real glass.
do you know of anything like that?
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
There is a method in swami/mantra,but I do not know how good/safe it is,

also I think the best place for this to be asked would be here

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......amp;8902

in the believe it or not forum
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2007-02-03 12:21, Tamip wrote:
Hi all.
I have been looking for a method to eat real glass for quite a while, and I could'nt find anything. Im not talking about trick methods like the "geek magic" DVD, I'm searching for a practical method to chew & swallow real glass.
do you know of anything like that?

Just one question. WHY?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Find someone who knows it, and learn from them. There are a lot of risks to this, that aren't obvious. Don't just go to a guy who read about it on the internet. Find an expert.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Like Harley or Todd.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
AThe swami/mantra does have the classic effect in there. This is a classic stunt more than magic. In the Mantra they tell you what kind of glass to look for, and how to grind it between your teeth.

Remember that what goes in, always comes out.
Aim To Amaze
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Let me reiderate the fact that :

ONE SHOULD NEVER EVER LEARN A DANGEROUS STUNT FROM TEXT OR VIDEO...

The ONLY way to learn is from a PROFESSIONAL...not someone that "knows how" or "can" but some one that makes a living at it.

And another thing...the Author of Swami/Mantra NEVER ate glass.

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Swami-Mantra has lots of information, most of it being half of what one really needs to know. Find an expert who will teach you, in person.

Let us not give advice here, about how to do things that are dangerous, to people we don't know. It's unprofessional and irresponsible.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Tamip
View Profile
New user
Israel
12 Posts

Profile of Tamip
Ok, thanks for your comments.

as far as I know,swami-mantra is a collection of "swami" magazinez, not all written by one man. I hope the guy that wrote about glass eating knows what he's doing.
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I learned how to eat fire from a book. It's not where you read it, it's the common sense you apply to it.
Aim To Amaze
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Not necessarily.

Common sense isn't a substitute for knowledge.

But hey...what do I know...right?

Go ahead and eat all the fire and glass that you want, just make sure you read those instructions!

Brett.
Blog:
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 01:24, montemagic wrote:
I learned how to eat fire from a book. It's not where you read it, it's the common sense you apply to it.
And, in emergencies, people have delivered babies by reading how in a book, but given the option, no thinking person would choose that over the knowledge and EXPERIENCE of a professional.

Common sense is gained through experience--how does someone without experience have the common sense to know if they're reading something incomplete or poorly conceived?
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I gather from your website that you're a veterinarian or work in the field; I work part time as a tech. How many times have you had an owner come in flush with wrong information (or a wrong understanding of information) they got from reading some animal enthusiast's website? How many have argued with you when you, with all your years of training, try to correct their misunderstanding?

Yes, a person can learn something by reading about it. And sometimes they even understand it.

montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Self preservation is instinctual common sense.
Aim To Amaze
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Yeah, but unfortunately, when someone sets their face on fire 'cuz they don't really know what they're doing, self preservation just means running around in a panic trying not to die.

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
There is no instinct in nature that tells a person to eat glass or put flamable fluids in their moutth, so conversely, no instinct to take over when things go wrong.
Isn't that part of the point? We do things that are against common sense and instinct?
Books and internet are both crap. The only real use for them in this business is to find out who can teach for real.
Without training, it is just an accident waiting to happen.
Gwyd
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
You are built in with survival instincts. That is why when you go to attempt something such as this you get scared and don't do it, if you are confident in your ability you carry it out. I agree that learning from a professional is the best way to go, but it is not the only way to go, remember that professionals are the ones writing these books. Do your research, and determine whether or not you feel ready. Some people do benefit more from having someone walk them through things, others teach themselves. If you want to eat glass, you are taking a risk no matter who has "taught" you how to do it. A teacher will tell you the same thing a book will, YOU still have to carry out the actions. No teacher can chew it for you, they can give you insight, exactly the same way a book does. So seek out someone to read the instructions to you, your chances of getting hurt are going to be pretty much the same. You can die from eating glass. You can perforate your bowel, get septic, and die. A professional can chew up the glass, spit it in your mouth, and you could still die from eating glass.
Aim To Amaze
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Why yes, several professionals HAVE written books. There's one fire-eating book that's actually good. Most, aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I know of one professional, who gives away a copy of his book, to everyone who hires him. My sense of sarcasm cannot begin to say enough about this person. Uh...totally irresponsible...oops, no sarcasm there.

There's a considerable difference between learning from a book, and from a teacher, or at least, a good one. A book cannot tell you, when you're about to make a serious mistake, or what to do about it. A book cannot guide you through the learning process in a way that takes your individual pecularities into consideration. A book cannot make a judgement call about either time or order in which a student is prepared to learn the next step

My bookshelf contains most of the English-language books on this artform, that involve discussion of how a stunt can be done. There are bits and pieces of good information in some of them, but most are garbage, written for profit by people who might be fans, who want to show off how much they know about "secrets".

Matt, you mention fears. There are socially-conditioned fears, and hard-wired ones. They serve a basic function of preserving the integrity of our bodies and our egos. Whether preservation of egos is a worthwhile thing, I'll leave to others to discuss. A good teacher will see both types, and help the student learn to work with them. A book can't do that.

You learned to eat fire from a book. Maybe you found the right book. Good for you, you lucked out. But the technical lessons of fire, do not apply to other stunts. I see from your website that you're selling the Iron Palm. Guess what? Card tricks won't damage your body much, when they go wrong. Stunts will. We're not talking about cards here.

www.bladewalker.com
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
Quote:
... But the technical lessons of fire, do not apply to other stunts. I see from your website that you're selling the Iron Palm. Guess what? Card tricks won't damage your body much, when they go wrong. Stunts will. We're not talking about cards here.

Cute, completely off topic and inapplicable to the discussion, but still cute.

I will repeat that learning from a professional is a great way to go. Tamip's quest for methodology on glass eating can very quickly and easily be solved by a book, and since he is asking on these forums we already know he has sense enough to not try and just eat some glass. So Tamip, as you see from previous posts there are books out there on the subject, it is real, and you can find your methods there. Oh, guess what, Eating glass is DANGEROUS! But I don't think you have to join the circus to learn how to eat glass. Quite honestly, I would bet that after you read the method, you won't want to eat glass at all.

And so you know, Card tricks are not stunts. Learning card sleights from a book is completely different from learning stunts. That my friend is a great example of common sense, and I didn’t think you need it spelled out for you, but I do it for the benefit of others.
Aim To Amaze
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Monte just let me ask you one question... "Do you, or have you ever eaten glass" If the answer to that question is yes... you may be able to add something usefull to this discussion, if the answer is no... then you need to ask the question to yourself "Do you really feel morally just in giving advice to someone to do a dangerous stunt, that you really don't know anything about?" You'd have to agree that the chances of getting hurt by eating glass would be reduced if everyone that tried it had a teacher that DOES do the stunt and knows exactly what he/she is talking about.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Glass eating - the real thing? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL