The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Anyone perform for those on the wrong side of the velvet rope? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chase
View Profile
New user
Arkansas
98 Posts

Profile of Chase
Hey. Anyone have any experience performing for those waiting in line for a club or bar? We have a couple of watering holes in town that are busy enough to have a "velvet rope" for those who aren't VIP's. Management has mixed feelings about those waiting. Of course they don't want to let too many in at a time and overwhelm the atmosphere/staff/fire code. At the same time, they don't want people to get fed up and stop waiting in line. They love that their clubs are the hot spots and love the long lines waiting to get in. We developed a plan for me to spend a few minutes outside after taking care of VIP's and chilled out tables inside. The problem is... the "line" crowd has a totally different vibe than indoors.
Anyone else ever do this? Did you perform for groups of 4-5? 10-12? Did you do more stand-up material? Did you use voice amp? It's almost as loud outside as it is inside.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Wow ..even though I probably wouldn't do it[past my bedtime Smile]..I think that is a great idea!

Tell us more.

Best.
Rich
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I've worked the line at many events and it can be a lot of fun. Although the atmoshpere may not be the same as for the VIPs inside, there is a certain comeraderie that develops among people as you wait in line for any length of time. It also helps to communicate that the club recognizes, respects and cares for the people waiting to get in. You would be the club's ambassador in charge of communicating that message. I think it's a great idea.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
While I don't think the people let into the club are VIPs but rather CYDs or HYGs the line actually is a pretty fun group. You find more joking and good natured types in the line than you find bitter and angry people. There was a fellow who started working the line waiting to see Jay Leno, did it on his own w/out pay, and he was hired by the show to work it and now it is his regular gig. VIPs in Arkansas....priceless!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Anyone perform for those on the wrong side of the velvet rope? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL