The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and restored silk (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Look into Killer Kut by John Kaplan... I have a blast with it.. a nice variation.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2007, Bob Sanders wrote:
Harry,

Could you be specific? LOL

It is hard to beat the basic books. The more time I spend in them, the more convinced I am that "new magic" is usually a function of ignorance of what already exists.

Gee, I thought I invented "take a card". You mean it happened before MTV? But I do it in color! LOL

Discovery never stops if you are open to the possibility that others can think too.

Enjoy your magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Gee! I thought I had invented THAT card trick! Only I had "higher class patter! (I called it "Select a card!"

I imagine you know that "Creativity is the art of concealing your source!"

Thanks for the good thought, but, I am enjoying retirement! hee hee
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree totally with Robert Blske and others who "endorse" PHOA'S C&R silk!

I saved any 18" silks that were getting a bit "used". They were for standing ovation encores!
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

I saved any 18" silks that were getting a bit "used". They were for standing ovation encores!

I saw Mac King expose this on one of the "World's Greatest Magic" TV shows.

The spectator was amazed and delighted the first time Mac did it.

I will never forget the look of disappointment on her face when he showed how it was done.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7363 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I remember one time I got some Phoa's C&R silks in envelopes all packaged up as a track. They came in a collection. I must have had 20 to them. It must have been for Dick Oslund's Army show because the silks were all ugly kaka green. YUG!!
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Heck No! I always used pukey purple!

Actually, I had 'graduated' from the Navy long before Phoa's c&r silk existed.

I was in the Navy in the days of wooden ships and iron men! --and, now we're all rusty.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

I saw Mac King expose this on one of the "World's Greatest Magic" TV shows.

The spectator was amazed and delighted the first time Mac did it.

I will never forget the look of disappointment on her face when he showed how it was done.

I'm very sorry to hear that Mac King exposed PHOA's c&r ailk. I don't do it regularly. (Hey! I'm retired.) Fortunately the average viewer has a short memory.
roberto37
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of roberto37
Phoa Yan Tiong Cut and Restored Silk is also on vol. 2 of Close up art magic of Lewis Ganson.
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
338 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote
I saw Mac King expose this on one of the "World's Greatest Magic" TV shows

I believe it was Tom Mullica who exposed Phoa's Cut & Restored Silk on WGM I.
Mac King took over the teaching/exposing segment (Mac King's School of Magic) on WGM II and continued through WGM V.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22358 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Brad Jeffers, you are correct, I remember seeing a video of Tom Mullica outside by a pool in Vegas showing the trick with a men's handkerchief, then I was shocked he exposed it, I guess for comedy effect. Just because a trick is really simple is no reason to expose the working to the general public.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

I am 99% certain it was Mac King who exposed the Phoa C&R silk. He did a "Mac King's School of Magic" segment on several WGM episodes, where he performed and then explained various "simple effects".

Have Fun Fooling Your Friends!!! kind of thing. Ugh.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22358 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Mac King may have very well did, I have not seen it. I did see Tom Mullica do it on television as well.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
435 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Why do people expose these sort of tricks. Is it just to stroke there ego? Just asking.....
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Dan, that is a good question.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1452 Posts

Profile of JNeal
It is a form of ego aggrandizement... But it usually comes from the show producer who says something like " can you come up with a trick you can teach? If so, I can use you in a mother segment which will give you more air time."

Almost never is it an idea of the performer himself.... Rather they 'go along to get along' and don't put up any counter suggestion....
visit me @ JNealShow.com
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

It wasn't done out of malice I'm sure. The other things exposed were what many would consider "throwaway tricks". The Phoa C&R is in a different class, but whoever it was exposed it probably just thought of it as a quickie nobody cared about.

The important thing about this episode is that, watching the spectator's face, the effect even when done with minimal presentation created a sense of wonderment.

And exposing the method, after the commercial break, destroyed that and created nothing but disappointment.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, wally wrote:
Is pho as cut restored silk on video / DVDs.

I don't know if it's taught on video , but you can learn it in Tarbell as mentioned and I think it's also in Karl Fulve's book on handkerchief magic .

You can watch if performed here by Scott Cervine, at the 0:51 mark:

https://youtu.be/NbJZdz2fr_Q?t=51

Here it is performed by David Copperfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl0-sjkkDbw

(I recall that Doug Henning also performed it one of his early television specials , but I can't find a clip online)

And performed by the originator , Phoa Yan Tiong , starting at the 0:27 mark:

https://youtu.be/Pq5p-egJMq4?t=27

Alternate version performed by Phoa Yan Tiong -

https://youtu.be/ESNjOSw_epk?t=14

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, cheesewrestler wrote:
I am 99% certain it was Mac King who exposed the Phoa C&R silk. He did a "Mac King's School of Magic" segment on several WGM episodes, where he performed and then explained various "simple effects".

Have Fun Fooling Your Friends!!! kind of thing. Ugh.

Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Mac King may have very well did, I have not seen it. I did see Tom Mullica do it on television as well.

It was TM who exposed it , not Mac King. I think Mac did teach a simple trick where a paper napkin is torn and restored on one of the WGM shows , but no great damage done with that (other than to implant in the audience's mind the principle of a duplicate , but a duplicate is easily 'disproved' by most presentations of a torn & restored paper effect. )

R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
188 Posts

Profile of R Don
It might have been Oprah who asked Doug Henning to open
the silk up square when he was a guest.After he completed the
Phoa version. He put it away. That was unexpected from her
but maybe she was thinking that he could do so.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1537 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Jun 28, 2015, R Don wrote:
It might have been Oprah who asked Doug Henning to open
the silk up square when he was a guest.After he completed the
Phoa version. He put it away. That was unexpected from her
but maybe she was thinking that he could do so.

Ouch. Never saw that , but I can imagine it was a bit awkward .

Performing for a talk show host who isn't necessarily sympatico with magicians can be a little bit dicey . It's partially because you're at a disadvantage on their home turf , they are in the dominate position if they want to exercise that option , to put the guest on the 'hot seat' ... think about Michael Ammar almost getting busted by David Letterman (also with a handkerchief trick , by the way) ... which would never have happened with Johnny Carson or Dick Cavett . I guess the lesson to take away is that it is better to perform something where you are totally clean at the end in those situations.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Cut and restored silk (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL