The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Hello,

I'm not a beginner to magic, but I'm also not very great. Would you recommend Wilsons book? I know this book is great for beginners, but could a person with one year experience gain anything from it? Would it be worth the money?

P.S.
Are all of the sleights and tricks obtainable from the Internet, somewhere?
'Pick a card, any card'
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
SBosma,

I do not know what kind of magic you do perform. So it is difficult to comment. However, Mark Wilson`s book provides a great and affordable overview of the world of magic with a lot of good insights.

Most sleights and tricks can be bought from Internet-shops as well. Use the search engine for some recommendations and also some more details on the book.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&133

Andy
Cards never lie
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I am a working professional and I refer back to this book constantly. It is always the book I recommend immediately to any beginner of magic, as well as to anyone that is just looking for a great resource. Many of the routines you can take and add more complicated sleights and unique presentations to create killer professional effects.

P.S. Nearly anything can be found on the internet if you look long enough - that shouldn't matter. This book is so cheap to contain so much invaluable information, you should just invest the money in it.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Brian,

we posted at precisely the same time. That is magic

Andy
Cards never lie
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Considering how good this book is, and the low cost to obtain it, you would be very hard pressed to find a better deal anywhere else, including the internet. I say bite the bullet and invest in this excellent book.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
I got this book for $5, it's a no brainer.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Great book, been a standard for years, covers a wide area of magic, and if you want one autographed, you can buy it from Mark and Nani on their site and ask them to auto it. http://www.markwilsonmagic.com
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 23:09, Andy the cardician wrote:
Brian,

we posted at precisely the same time. That is magic

Andy

Wow - real magic in the real world. Why can't all magic be like that? Smile
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Wow, five dollars. Didn't know it was that cheap.

Thanks for the info everyone.
'Pick a card, any card'
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

The official list price is a little bit higher - just check Amazon
Cards never lie
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I can't recommend this book enough. Regardless of what type of magic one likes to perform, you'll find something of interest inside.

It is a great reference to have in any magical library and will become used often.

Mark. Smile
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Well as for me, all I can tell you is that in all the posts I've seen I'd say there is on one who wouldn't recommend Wilson's Complete course.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
How does this book compare to Royal Road and/or Card College in regards to material covered? Is there going to be a huge overlap or are they different enough that it is worth picking Mark Wilson's book up as well?
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
OK, that was supposed to be a NO, not an ON, but the silly forum wouldn't let me edit it right away...
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
PBiddy412
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
27 Posts

Profile of PBiddy412
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 10:05, tupawk wrote:
How does this book compare to Royal Road and/or Card College in regards to material covered? Is there going to be a huge overlap or are they different enough that it is worth picking Mark Wilson's book up as well?

Royal Road and Card College are strictly different from Mark Wilson's book. Mark Wilson's book covers many different aspect of magic such as card tricks while Royal Road and Card College are strictly for cards alone.
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
Allright, This'll be on my next purchase.
'Pick a card, any card'
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
The sponge ball routine I got out of this was worth the 5 bucks alone. As soon as I get a set of cups and balls I will be taking notes from this again.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Quote:
On 2007-02-04 22:33, sBosma wrote:P.S.
Are all of the sleights and tricks obtainable from the Internet, somewhere?

Am I the only one that read this part of his post?
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Habu, Tupawk posted a reply just after you did, which is why the edit feature was no longer available.

I did read the part about him wanting to obtain the information for free from the internet but quickly dismissed it. I assumed that the reason he asked was because he thought the book might cost over $40. Most books in magic are not cheap.

sBosma, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic covers so many areas that I just don't know where to begin. There are tricks on nearly every conceivable subject and area of magic. From close-up to stage. From cards, to coins, to impromptu, to the classics. It really is a complete course in magic.

If you want an "alternative", try Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic. It is a condensed version of the complete course, is smaller and has fewer effects in it. It also costs a little less, depending on where you purchase it.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
sBosma
View Profile
New user
BC Canada
57 Posts

Profile of sBosma
I didn't think it was that expensive, I just thought it was around 25 dollars. That's why I asked if it was obtainable from the internet. I would've just researched on the internet for awhile instead of paying. Since it covers ALL areas of magic it probably is available on the net, but it's cheap so I'll buy it.

Thanks again,
Spencer.
'Pick a card, any card'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL