The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Aristrocats?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
To be honest, I enjoyed the creativity it involved. Even with my faith and what I believe in, I still study comedy to a high degree and while I would prefer the award go to something different. This looks like a lot of fun, just having one joke, the punch line given, and a whole world of opportunities to just be CREATIVE.

Also, my favorite was Steven Wright, to hear that story come out of that guy made my day. I also hope this could be applied to magic somehow: Taking a trick, and completely personalizing it. (I realize that some people already do that) but that might be a fun thing for a convention...Take a cut and restored rope, and everyone go around writing in the plot and patter, all coming to the same conclusion, "THE ARISTOCRATS!!" ---err I mean--"ITS RESTORED!!"
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
Wow, that would be an amazing exercise in creativity. Either the C&R rope, the ambitious cards, or some other "stock" effect.

Granted, a more pathetic level of this is already done in the magic world, as 427 magic creators come up with versions of "Collectors" or "Chink a chink".

However, I would say the one effect in magic that already enjoys "insider glory" status among magicians is the Cups n Balls: So many different variations of the same effect. But in the end, the methodology is not different, merely the timing and presentation. Perhaps this is why someone said that a magician is measured by how well they do the Cups and Balls. (I don't remember who said that, however.)
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
From my understanding the Aristocrats was a high-class family, hence the joke: The dirtiness with a high-end name.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Six has put the 'special' in Special User. Good job. Top notch!
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
HA-HA, thanks for ending the kicker. We were thinking Bitterman.

Six, I actually didn't know it was a family. I thought it was just a group of people, so thank you too!

Anyway, Brent Allen, it was Vernon who said that ‘cups and balls would be another good one too.’ The event would be more of a fun thing, but it might take a magician to "open up" a while these days for fear of stealing.

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Never have so many missed the point. The joke, start and end are always the same. It's what the person telling the joke brings to it that makes it special. The middle part is the point. It's not about the song, it's about the singer. How deep into your darkest thoughts can you go to add something to the story that noone else has come up with. That's the beauty of it.
If anyone is interested in how the idea of the movie came to be I can tell you the story. It was inspired by the late great Jay Marshall if anyone is interested.
SWNerndase
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of SWNerndase
MM--

Agreed the concept of "singer not the song" is what the joke evolved into over the years, and that's the main point of the documentary. The original joke though (as told in the film by Jay Marshall) was as SIX suggested: a disgusting act and the performers are oblivious to that fact and have given in a high class name.

I love Jay's little touch of buffing his nails against his lapel as he delivers the punchline. Kills me.

SWN
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
In contrary, I think most of us have established that by now.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Aristrocats?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL