The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Hoodwinkings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Hoodwinkings is finally available via PayPal for $20. This is a complete mentalism act in six parts that I performed for well over a year at the Disney Resort on Hilton Head Island. The skill requirements are within everyone's range and the manuscript includes the presentation-scripts and transitions between each effect.

If you wish, send me an email or make a Paypal payment to me at: mick@cardworker.com

If you prefer not to use Paypal, contact me and we'll make snailmail arrangements for the manuscript itself.

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Having never seen your act could you please give the forum a description of your offering? Thank you.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-02-05 20:51, tuffnavyrn wrote:
Having never seen your act could you please give the forum a description of your offering? Thank you.

If no one minds, I'll give a description of *Hoodwinkings* so that Mick won't be accused of self-congratulation.

*Hoodwinkings* is a dirty, rotten shame. This should never have been released, certainly not at such a low price. This should have remained underground, released to only a select few (i.e. - me) and kept from the hands of people who might not appreciate it. Definitely, it should be kept from the hands of those who will not rehearse it severely.

The book begins with something which should be put every wall of every person who considers magic as a hobby, a vocation, or even an idle pastime. It is "The Five Obligations of Conjuring" and I'll expose it right now:

"To entertain well requires hours of study, disciplined practice, eloquent scripting, diligent rehearsal, and a passionate performance...and that's just the self-working stuff." (Mick Ayers)

What you have here is not a book of tricks. You have an act, a full mentalism and wonder act. If - IF you are willing to put in a LOT of hard work, flop sweat, and a chunk of your heart, you'll have your audience hooked before the show really starts. You'll have them laughing and thinking you're just another comedy magician, albeit one who is really funny.

That is the first deceit. By the time the show is over, they'll realize you controlled their perceptions and their emotions every step of the way. And it won't hit them until the very last second!

It's absolutely insulting to list some of the effects as if this were a list of tricks, so naturally I'll do just that. Really, Mick's descriptions of two effects tell the story.

- A predition is written down. A volunteer now arranges ten cards in a random order. The prediction matches the shuffled order of the cards perfectly.

- Two cards are selected, noted, and returned to the deck. The cards are shuffled and cut thoroughly. The deck is handed to a third volunteer who removes two cards...these cards are the selections.

WAIT A MINUTE!! Did I mention CARDS?! Hasn't Mick learned that True Mentalism cannot include such plebian probs as PLAYING CARDS?! Who does he think he is, breaking the rules like this?!

Why, he has another routine where cards are chosen and then determined not only WITH comedy, but BY comedy! How can we expect to put fear and awe into our audience when we're laughing with them, making them laugh, even -- gulp! -- even using the Vulcan Mind Meld?! (Yes, he even makes use of the Vulcan Mind Meld! How can anyone take Mick seriously after that?!)

"In our final mental experiment," he announces, "I'm going to make three predictions - each one will be twice as challenging as the one before." And he does just that (Yes, this act has been audience-tested in trials of fire.) without even knowing who will be the volunteer -- whose mind he has read before the person is selected. And each prediction IS twice as challenging as the one before!

And the show is over.

BUT ---!

AS the show is ending, the audience suddenly discovers that Mick has not only been in charge all night, but that he knew every small incident that would happen -- and he knew it well in advance of the show.

All right. All that is what MICK does.

But for YOU to do it, you'd need to study this book, and practice, and rehearse, and rehearse and rehearse and rehearse, and make sure LOTS of time passes before you perform it. Oh, and you'll need to put some of your own heart and soul into it.

It will make you feel cheap and chintzy that you only paide $20 for *Hoodwinkings.*

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
As described and taught, how long does the show run?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Chet,

I'm in your debt for the glowing review. Just tell me where to send the bribe.

Tom,

In the neighborhood of 30 minutes...it depends on how longwinded you are on stage. For me, it's a disease.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
That was magic !! I posted and it disappeared.
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
OOPS , my bad. I posted in "Penny for Your Thoughts". You can still send my cut to me. cheers, Mr. Humble
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Hoodwinkings has been getting a lot of good revuiws over in the penny for your thoughts forum. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;start=0

Just thought it would make this thread a bit more complete.

Jim

Click here to view attached image.
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
566 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
It will make you feel cheap and chintzy that you only paide $20 for *Hoodwinkings.*

*jeep!
--Granpa Chet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Can actually spell. Yes, even the possessive form of the word "it."

I loved this bit Smile

Take care, Ian
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
682 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Anyone know how long it takes Mick to deliver the ebook? I ordered 24 hours ago and am still waiting. Perhaps he is on vacation or something?

Iain.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11628 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 13:14, Iain Moran wrote:
Anyone know how long it takes Mick to deliver the ebook? I ordered 24 hours ago and am still waiting. Perhaps he is on vacation or something?

Iain.

You will be happy you waited.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
682 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Thanks John.

Mick has sorted it! Looking forward to reading it.

Iain.
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Excellent PDF...highly recommended!!
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
I had a gander at this on the plane from Dallas to Baltimore. In looking at Mick's set, I found this to be very effective audience participation, and sound magic that could really entertain a crowd. I do believe that the fly-by-night hobbyist would look at this and pass it off as nothing to write home about. That is, I think, to their error.

This is very well scripted, however, you do need to script this out and add your own personality to this routine. If you don't want to do that....go collect stamps. You must commit to memory the sequences and scripting to ensure that this makes sense to teh audience and still entertains. DO NOT WING THIS! Give it the time it deserves and feel free to add your own sequences and even replace with others. But, as always, only do your best stuff if performing for a paying audience.

I enjoyed this at at $20 it is a breath of fresh air that Mick is not selling a coin bending tool or something like that for $700.00. This is not a one trick pony , but as I said, give it the respect and practice the routine. Mick is more than generous with his knowledge...please respect that.

Andy
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Mick,

Time to close off all further sales. (grin) Enough is enough, already!! Can't be having the masses having the same powerful tightly-routined highly-entertaining easy-to-perform (methodology-wise) effect. Might start a trend.

Mike

P.S. Nicely done, Mick. Very well thought out. Sure glad I was able to buy a copy. And now, that I've got mine, close the darn subsciptions!!!
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Adam Paul
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Adam Paul
Really enjoyed this. Looking forward to the next one!
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Just ordered this. Really looking forward to it. Smile

Dustin
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
What I find amazing is that this thing could make a close up card worker into a stand up entertainer.
(Or even a non-cardworker mentalist into a stand up entertainer).

And that a lot of guys are missing that amazing fact!
They are overlooking the opertunity to expand their value to their clients.

It is a wicked good deal for $20.00
(heck I spend that in cards, pencils and tablets that I go through durring one show).

In short if you don't want to be a table or strolling entertainer forever this is the type of stuff to help you move up and to expand.

J ack

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Jim,

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I am currently one of those strolling performers, and at one of my restaurant gigs the owner has been wanting me to put on some sort of bigger show (he has a stage) where there could be an audience of many. Hoodwinkings will be the first such show that I do. I just read through it for the first time, and really love it. As Jim stated, a mediocre card man would have the ability to truly be a stand up entertainer. Great stuff in this ebook. If you haven't picked this up, stop hesitating and get it.

Dustin
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Okay, I have heard a lot of good reviews about this ebook.

I have a couple of things that I would like to clear up before I purchase this ebook. I know it is only $20 but I am becoming increasingly skeptical about the quality of material in ebooks. I have bought some good ebooks but some bad ones as well. And you can't resell ebooks!

I find the idea of a whole stand up show with cards only a little off putting. It strikes me as lacking variety. I couldn't imagine doing a whole show with one prop! Sure, the effects maybe different but the props are the same. For some reason this sends off warning bells in my mind.

Secondly, I wonder what type of audiences these effects are performed for... It seems that Mick works at one of the disney resorts. Does that mean that the effects are appropriate for family audiences?

Thanks in advance
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Hoodwinkings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL