The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Hoodwinkings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Yes the presentations are appropriate for family audeinces.

The effects/presentations are all different.
(Chet gives a rundown above)

As Chet mentions these are tested presentations.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Really, with a little imagination you can transform the act into almost anything...

For example, if you like Dark Bizarre Magic - get a Dark Museum ensemble, a tarot deck,

Location, Location, Location - adapt with some Higley props of a grisly nature

Fate - the cool concept within which I won't mention can be used for all sorts of interesting things - including tarot card trickery... change the story a bit for death seeking a victim using cards... tarot or regular... hee hee

Rescue 2000 - I actually do a variation of this effect where my prediction ties in some cold reading and involves having met someone in a nightmare the night before... the thing I like about Rescue 2000 is the clever addition of cards that helps cloak the method even more - and again, I might use some old Tarot Cards to help do the cold reading and use the major arcanna for the thing Smile

Hummingbird - if you hate cards, just get blank faces and write down all the demons from an occult book on a bunch. etc.

Reality Phone Experiment. Hey JJ is mentioned! Very cool. Change the story about seeing through your invisible servant's eyes... what, you can't see it? Let me demonstrate... my servitor of the outer gods has many uses... use regular cards.

Know Way.... a Poker Mind Reading Demo. OK - as Jim did for his video debut - it would be very easy to make this 5 people playing against the devil for riches... or ***ation.

I like the fact that Mick has essembled a bunch of effects that transition well and last about 40 minutes. Why anyone would want to perform it exactly as Mick is beyond me - I rather like looking at his process and construction of the act and the level of ease of methods he uses - plus some really cool tipping...

Its $20... this is one of the GREAT buys around here. I look forward to his next ebook.

And yes, I do plan to convert this to a dark magick theme for a few Halloween offerings Smile
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
OOops - wrong book Smile - eheheh my post is for the 2nd in Mick's series - but the first can be easily transformed into a variety of wonderous presentations too
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2007-03-18 13:55, Dr Spektor wrote:
OOops - wrong book Smile - eheheh my post is for the 2nd in Mick's series - but the first can be easily transformed into a variety of wonderous presentations too

Dr. Spektor,

Glad you added this last post. I thought that I had been hoodwinked. (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I read the post and it all made sense to me Dr.

But if I did not have the second book I would have really be wondering.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
On 2007-03-17 12:56, aussiemagic wrote:
Okay, I have heard a lot of good reviews about this ebook.

I have a couple of things that I would like to clear up before I purchase this ebook. I know it is only $20 but I am becoming increasingly skeptical about the quality of material in ebooks. I have bought some good ebooks but some bad ones as well. And you can't resell ebooks!

I find the idea of a whole stand up show with cards only a little off putting. It strikes me as lacking variety. I couldn't imagine doing a whole show with one prop! Sure, the effects maybe different but the props are the same. For some reason this sends off warning bells in my mind.

Secondly, I wonder what type of audiences these effects are performed for... It seems that Mick works at one of the disney resorts. Does that mean that the effects are appropriate for family audiences?

Thanks in advance

Aussiemagic,

Good questions!

I fully understand your caution about e-books..."Caveat Emptor" (despite the flourishing market)! Because of this concern, my manuscripts are also available as printed booklets. Just add $5 to cover shipping and provide a snail-mail address.

I priced Hoodwinkings, Predict-Abilities (and Bamboozlings) at $20 because I believe it's a fair price for a good product. Steve Beam publishes his hard-bound volumes that are filled with excellent routines and gets a well-deserved $45 per book. If I charged a higher-price for my e-books I would have a difficult time looking my friend in the eye. But that's just me.

The material in these acts has been seriously audience-tested in front of thousands of families from around the world. I understand that for some magicians, the methodology for these effects isn't challenging enough...and, for some mentalists, the use of playing cards is a turn off. That's okay. I designed these acts for one purpose...to entertain laypeople in a manner that allows me to focus on presentation rather than technique.

Yes, there is a prop-emphasis: a deck of cards. Is this a risk? Certainly...especially if one's on-stage presence is weak or the performer's character is ill-defined. However, my performance contract has been renewed for a seventh year, so apparently Disney likes these acts...letters from the guests have a lot to do with it as well.

Bottom line: I would NEVER encourage any other performer to do these acts verbatim. But use these manuscripts as guidelines for developing a stronger show and I'm confident you'll get your money's worth.

I hope this puts your concerns at ease.

Best,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
In addition, Mick has wonderful support, and it's very obvious he loves his routines. If you have any questions or comments about them, you will get very good feedback from the man himself.

Love the routines, Mick. I'll be performing a modified Hoodwinkings on April 6!

-Dustin
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Let me know how it goes, Dustin!

Break a leg,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
Until I stumbled across this thread, I had not known of Mr. Ayres. I purchased Hoodwinkings for two reasons: 1. I am particularly fond of mentalism with cards and 2. I have a wife and daughter who are what you might call Disney fanatics. Being on the West Coast, we hit Disnyland often, but are in the process of planning a trip to Fla. next year to do the whole Disney World thing.

When I saw that Mr. Ayres was the Disney Magician at Hilton Head Resort, I decided to buy the ebook.

I will say that this is the best ebook I have ever purchased. It is well scripted and everything fits together great. I spent the entire day studying the manuscript and the more I read it, the more I appreciated the depth and detail that has gone it the writing of each effect. I not only performed the set for my wife and daughter (the jaded magic family types - but who love the set), but have since performed most of the individual pieces at the restaurant where I work. The effects have all been a hit.

I immediately purchased Predict-Abilities. I have not had as much time with it yet, but it is also very good. I can;t wait to start performing some of the items from that manuscript.

I am going to purchase Bamboozelings soon and I WILL purchase anything else I find by Mr. Ayres. His material is that good.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I concur with all the comments about this wonderful e-book.The effects are wonderful,but what I really appreciate is the master lesson in scripting/routineing.

I have been playing around with 'Howdjadothat' all morning.I cannot wait to add this to my restaurant work.Did you know that it can be instantly repeated for another guest with a 'freshly' written prediction[should you so desire]for a double whammy? Smile

Rich
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Let me sound off on this too. Mick really does use this stuff....i know this even having never seen him perform. Here's why....he has given you everything! From the effects itself to the script....even the transition patter!!! Believe me when I say that part can make or break a good perfomance. The flow of the patter along with the transition to keep your audience enganged....I think....matters even more than the effects themselves. Remember we are in this business to entertain not have Uncle Joe's Night of Magic Tricks....which row is it in now? If you do anything get ALL of his ebooks and you will have ideas hit you like a hammer! I will confess not everything he does I will use, but the lessons and even the effects are worth the price. MICK RAISE THE PRICE! But, guess what! he won't! Why? Mick understands value more than anybody value of magic and stuff.
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Thank you all for these humbling comments!

Rich...good idea about 'Howdjadothat?'. That's one way to take it up a notch.

Churken...even after working for the company for seven years I remain a bonafide Disney 'geek'. I manage to visit the parks in Orlando once or twice a year. Everytime I set foot on Main Street and smell the popcorn, my first thought is: "Show me the pixie dust and let me fill my pockets!" I love the place.

Ritty...thanks for "getting it" about the price issue!

Best,
Mick
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
Hey Mick, next time you go to the Orlando park can you put in a word to "Tinkerbell" for me. She owes me as I helped her live one time by clapping real hard. take care buddy, Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6581 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I bought it, I like it, I recommend it!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Thanks, Scott!
pablovaldes
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico
206 Posts

Profile of pablovaldes
It is unbelievable Mick releases a routine people can actually live of for such a low price!! Hoodwinkings is a perfect mentalism routine that can fit anyones character!

Pablo Valdés
Wonderful things do happen
Magic is so relative, that we all think we know what it is
@pablovaldes
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Pablo,

I'm grateful for the kind endorsement. You guys are starting to make me re-think the pricing...but I believe I'll stick to my guns.

Best,
Mick
Devilix
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of Devilix
I bought it 2 days ago and read it twice. While, I have not performed (or praticed a lot) the routines and patern in the book, I want to give you my first impression.

First, I think this is a great ebook. To be honest, I was a little bit affraid to buy this at first. I trusted all the review but my experience with ebook has not been very positive lately. Its like anyone can make a ebook and I didn't buy all the time good ebook. I had my share of "this look good on pratice but not audience tested". I was really happy that wasnt the case with the book of MR Ayres.

I really like the flow of the show. Everything is fluid and has been very well structured. Even if I think that there is nothing "really new" in there, everything is strong. That's, for me, the important fact.

If I can find a little negative point for me, is that some of the sleight are explained a little quick. (the first effect come to mind). I did understand how to achieve this but I got experience with the sleight. If this was been my first exposure with the sleight, I doubt that I would have understand it very well. Please, keep in mind that english is not my primare way to communicate. Maybe for a full english speaking person, everything is fine. However, for me, the explanation of some of the sleight could have been explained better. I think it just prove that MR Ayres know his show completly. Sometimes, when we do something so many times, it become second nature. However, something that is clear with him is not necessary clear with us.

For the last point, I must talk about the price. I think that the 20$ that MR Ayres is ok. For me, the price for this ebook should be between 15 and 20$. Could he ask more? Sure. 30$ Woulnt not be to much for this great ebook. However, when you see the price of other great product, I think 20 is fairly faire. Prism by Max Maven is selling for 35$. It comes with 240 pages (vs 17 pages for MR Ayres book) and is full of great advice and thinking. I really don't want to compare the two books. However, if we compare what the two books are offering, between 15$ and 20$ is fair for the ebook. MR Pablo said that someone can win this life with this ebook and its totally true. However, I think this is the case with a lot of good books. Someone can win his life with Prism or Paramiracle.

For conclusion, I think that this is a great buy. Glad I did. The service was A+++ from the author. I am thinking of buying the second book in the next few days.

Devilix
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Devilix,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about "Hoodwinkings". Having my simple manuscript compared to Maven's PRISM, is quite the compliment!

For those of you who don't have Hoodwinkings, please bear in mind that my intent has always been to take rather simple concepts and thread them into a strong, cohesive mentalism act using as few props as possible. The one sleight required is a top change...which can be replaced with a double-turnover or even completed eliminated with a bit of wax or tape.

Again, thank you for the review Devilix!

Best,
Mick
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
809 Posts

Profile of e-man
MICK. Has a fertile mind, And a warm Heart.
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Hoodwinkings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL