The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Thumb Tips Greatest Hits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: The Secrets of Thumb Tips WGMBTWGM
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up, parlour
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies Inc, L&L

I enjoy using a Thumb tip and find it to be a great utility if used properly. Most magicians that are introduced to it use it for the vanish of a silk and then making it re-appear. They worry about it being seen etc and often never move into any of the other great uses for this wonderful device. Over the years great magicians have put routines on video/DVD that are their favorites mixed in with their other work. L&L has consolidated some of the best routines from their large video library into a single disk which is distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies Inc so you shouldn’t have a problem finding it. (if they don’t have it tell them to get it for you!).

The quality of each segment depends upon the age and conditions of the original video/dvd the routine was pulled from. In this case all are pretty good. As is typical with L&L you are at times subjected to that rather bizarre curly haired fellow in the audience but they make it up by including their class A audience in other parts. Overall the quality is fine as is the sound, the benefits of a professional video shoot.

Everything on the DVD is strong, solid, magic using the thumb tip. Keep in mind everything did appear on other videos so this is kind of a ‘greatest hits’ type of thing. Let’s zip through everything on the dvd.
Michael Ammars 41 Cent Trick: A good example of an unusual presentation where the story is the star. A bit too sweet for me but a nice presentation.

Richard Osterlind Sweet and Low: A great presentation for the table hopper and Richards handling is top notch….a keeper.

Roger Klause The Misers’s Cornucopia: A production of silver from a bill, might be of interest to the table worker.

Alexander De Cova Purse Swindle: Excellent handling ( De Cova is the best with the TT of the magicians gathered) and a very nice routine with a silk. Pay close attention to his explanation and handling and you’ll learn something.

Ted Lesley Coin Through Sleeve: Shows how to take a basic idea a long way, interesting for a party show.

Al Schneider Vanishing Dime: Okay, not everything was deserving to be here, he makes a dime vanish…scary.

Jeff Sheridan Cig in the Coat: Silent routine and one that can shock an audience. Jeff is an artist.

Alexander De Cova Blank Cheque Transpo: Not from an L&L product but provided by Murphy’s Magic Supplies Inc. Another example of why De Cova is the master of the TT.

Fernando Keops Mini 20th Century: I don’t know who this fellow is but I liked the routine. It is a version of 20th Century Silks with yarn and makes a great way to get your name out as a give away. I liked this one and will use it.

Jeff Sheridan Vanishing and Reappearing Water: Another artistic presentation by Jeff, if you have a water theme for some reason this might be your cup o’ tea.

Paul Diamond Thumb Tip Lecture: Lots, and I mean lots, of great information given over a few minutes. Very nice addition to the dvd.

Steve Dacri Mini Blendo: I’ve always liked the mini blendo and Steve gives some good tips on the handling.

Paul Wilson Tipped: Interesting handling and a great routine. Well thought out and taught in Pauls slow methodical style.

Dan Harlan World’s Saddest Trick: Funny routine, nice for table side if altered a bit, as is for stand up. Interesting presentation that works.

There you have it. If you are looking for tips on the tip or just need some help with finding uses this is really worth looking into. If it was just De Cova and Paul Diamond it would be good.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Is this a routine only product, or does it teaches as well. If so, how would you compare it with the Darwin DVD?

Andy
Cards never lie
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
It's all teaching. It's another in the line of "Best of" videos L&L is putting out. All of these effects are from other video sets. The only thing I've found that I didn't like about these videos is the Paul Diamond material. He seems really angry and this video showed me where Blaine got his presentations from. Other than that, it's a great video.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Darwins video is very good but he isn't the performer, from what I've seen, as the guys on the L&L are. By this I mean the presentations are better here but Darwin covers a lot of material and is well worth having. As far as Jeffs comments he is correct, Paul Diamond is obnoxious BUT that is more cultural than anything else. I see Jeff shows New Mexico and Florida and his location and both areas are known for cordial and polite behavior. Paul sounds like New York or New England, an area that is rather abrasive and comes across rudely. I know when I first went from the South to Boston it took awhile to realize they were not being punks but just were what they were. The material Paul put out is very valuable, in this case listen for the messege and forgive the messenger.
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
MagicSanta,
Thanks for the review. I've purchased it based on your review and I know I won't be disappointed. Thanks again.

Jim.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
After actually watching through the Paul Diamond material, if you can move past his attitude, you will get some great insight on the use of the Thumb Tip.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't know of Paul Diamond is still living but I hope he doesn't stumble in here and see how nice we were about him!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Great DVD.

I like Paul Diamond. His "It Takes Guts" booklet is wonderful.

And, Paul is still very much alive.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Paul Wilson's 'Tipless" is worth the pice of the DVD. Brilliant thinking by this fellow.

smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Well guys, I'm sold. I'm ordering this tomorrow, along with Pat Page's work on Sponge Balls, and a couple other items.

I read Paul's 'It Takes Guts Dammit' years ago. It was interesting reading, but I don't know of anyone besides Paul, that would do what he says in this booklet. Would certainly never be my approach to getting work, but, for the 'right' person, it could certainly be killer material.

I'm just NOT that bold. I know Paul has a wealth of knowledge to share, but when I met him in the late 70's, I just didn't like his style at all. I asked him to demonstrate a few things for me, and he EXPECTED me to buy everything, just because he demo'd it. Some of the stuff, I saw right through. I only ended up buying one item.

I think I already have many of the routines already, that are on this DVD, but they are all on video's, packed away somewhere, from our last move, so it will be nice to have everything on ONE DVD.

best....smitty
Bande
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Bande
Does he break it down, and I mean waaay down, to a beginner's level. Something along the lines, of this is a TT. This is a good one, these less so and here is why. Here is how to get it to fit well, here is what it should look like if put on right etc. I know this may seem pedantic, but I have been sitting on one someone gave me for a while, and never used it because it looks like it wouldn't fool a 2nd grader. Now, I know I am wrong, since there are super talented people using them to great effect all the time. But I need someone to really hold my hand (err thumb) so I get some confidence in this stuff.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bande, Darwins video from Penguin should be your first dive into the TT. He does exactly as you are seeking.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
MagicSanta,

Thanks for the review... I just ordered it.

Mike
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Having watched the DVD last night, I fully agree with MagicSanta. This one is worth having. For me, the learnings from Wilson and de Cova was worth the price of the DVD.

Thanks again MagicSanta for bringing this up.

Andy
Cards never lie
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not a problem. I'm between jobs now so I spend my time watching dvds and I like writing the reviews. That darn De Cova is something else.
Bande
View Profile
Veteran user
392 Posts

Profile of Bande
Many thanks MagiSanta -- I wll go get it now. Although I have been rather nice not at all naughty so perhaps Ishould look in my stocking first. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 20:51, MagicSanta wrote:
Bande, Darwins video from Penguin should be your first dive into the TT. He does exactly as you are seeking.

Gary Darwin's DVD's failed to live up to his reputation with the TT.

Alex DeCova's "Examining the TT" is a FNATASTIC resource. Thi sL&L DVD has Alex's early thoughts and they are incredible.

Must have DVD!!!

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The re-released as a three disc set the early De Cova work Treasures. Great magic.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I love this DVD "Secrets of Thumbtips". I immediately dug out my thumbtips and performed the Richard Osterlind Sweet and Low torn and restored. It was easy and is my favorite on the DVD. I think it is perfect for a restaurant worker. It bought a blendo because of Steve Dacri's demo here. I also think Paul Diamonds "tips" are helpful and was suprised by the black TT.
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
Christopher,
Would you be kind enough to advise me whether DeCova's dvd should be a first port of call or whether the WGM's dvd is better. I've heard great reviews of DeCova's work, and comments on his highly innovative uses of the thumb tip.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Thumb Tips Greatest Hits (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL