The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help: Outdoor Illusion Show Problems! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Last year I performed five shows at a water park here in Texas. Over the course of the shows we ran into several problems:
Our main problem was the HEAT. Texas is know for extreme temperatures and it's always very hot, especially during the summer. We were in heavy costumes that were mainly dark colored. Not to mention they wanted us to perform illusions. In one of our shows we had to cancel a final illusion because my assistant was about to pass out. Very hard conditions but we wanted the job.

This year I have been hired again to perform another series of shows throughout the summer. Once again they want the show to feature some illusions in the show this summer. I'm already thinking of how I can change up the show and what I can do to fix our problems with costuming.

I want to some way incorporate the fact that we are at a water park. Last year, I hypnotized an assistant into thinking that he was a fish. He was trained to breathe the oxygen elements out of water. We then placed him in a tank and had members of the audience fill the tank with water from the wave pool. He stayed underwater for ten minutes. All of the shows are even covered live over a local radio station in San Antonio. I also have to come up with several ways to incorporate the radio DJ's into the show.

This year I don't feel up to putting the "human fish breathing" illusion into the show because of the hassle involved. I USUALLY do not even book outdoor shows, but working at a water/theme park is a great credit that I want.

Has anyone every worked under a condition like this? What do you wear to your outdoor (extremely hot) shows? Anyone happen to know of a routine/illusion that involves water...? Thanks in advance!!
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
What part of Texas?

Obviously part of the problem is the color and bulkiness of the clothes. Since it's in a water park.. can you simply wear less? Or wear Linen or light cotton? If it's a beach them.. resort wear might be in order.. Think of the David Copperfield Bermuda special.. but brought up to 2008.

I have a wonderful routine with a modern cabinet/things that go bump in the night with a fish/mermaid theme that has a funny ending.. it could easily be built to be performed in a park, as long as you have a small backstage to load teh pepople and have an asistant that can "double" you... in a hat and Glasses and big robe...

I performed outdoors in RhodeIlsand in the summer Also hot and HUMID!! and in SEattle (beyond humid.. but not hot) and in Dallas at 6 flags.. but that was in October..

In Rhode Island, we used to keep bowls of ice in the corners of the Illusion bases.

Big swamp coolers back stage couldn't' hurt.. or misters with built in fans.. might make the stage slick.. but it would keep it cooler if it's not too humid outside..
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Thank you very much for your reply. The shows are at Splash Town Water Park in San Antonio, TX. We do actually have people to assist with the show, I have hired three stage hands, an assistant, and one sound technician.
Last year is was HOT and HUMID at all the shows! We brought our dog along (Watson the Magical Dachshund.) He's in the show but most likely we won't put him in the show this year.
I'll try to come up with some ideas for "cooler" costumes. Thanks Again!

-Ray
http://www.RayBrownMagic.com
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
I love "things that go bump in the night!" In fact it has always been one of my favorite illusions. Unfortunately, I don't own it or else I would probably put it in the show. We will most likely end up keeping our sub trunk in the show but maybe I could add a water/beach theme in to it. Thanks!
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might want to check out my "Crazy Cabana" in The Wizards' Journal #5 (on my site). I used to do it with assistants costumed in 1890's swim-wear, but it could easily be done almost as a modern swim-wear fashion show series of quick changes and appearances of people. Other summer-type effects in that issue (#5) might also be of interest, since they have a beach theme or water theme to them: Inexhaustible Coconut, Picnic Lunch, Surfboard Levitation, Swim Suit Dove Productions, and the Parachute Game Illusion.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
Well Ray here are some ideas,
*Costume*
If I were you I would buy a couple of nice "dress" Hawaiian shirts or other club going gear (I wear bowling shirts , I have them for stage and for summer outdoors) ditch the jacket, go with nice lose dress pants and a short sleeved button down shirt.
*Illusions*
Here is the fun stuff !
To combine your fish breathing thingy with the subtrunk. I fI was building it new I would make it look like an aquarium. Plexiglas box you see the person in shackles then drop the cloth (Owwww.... It could be a shower curtain!!!!) . TADA! and you both get wet which will cool you off!
(Ok that got me thinking)
Assistant's Revenge that looks like a shower with a working shower head above it! Call it "shower of death"! lock your assistant in turn on the "warm" shower water tell them they have 1 minute to escape or you will turn on will flush the toilet. do the trick switch places and as the assistant comes out she flushes the toilet!
Ok back to tricks at hand
Production chest, but a cooler! and produce everthing you would need for a day a the Water Park. chairs, food, blankets, ....and last a lifeguard!
Misers dream , with a metal detector andd the coins or in sand or on a kid.
Chair Suspension but with a surf board and beach chairs!
Sands of Time!
Sand Pour (not salt pour)
Aerial fishing (I hate telling others , cause I LOVE doing it!) (I recommend Hughes magic , stull bowl,it would be the easiest and the best)
the old vanishing your legs one by one, but use an audience member's beach towel.
*Pipe dreams*
egsastable(SP?) coconut, but with a sea shell
jumbo rice bowls, but instead with sand castle buckets, and in the end produce a real sandcastle.
linking floaties/inertubes.
escape from a straitjacket over a boiling pit of lava.
quick change with BIKINIS.
GOT TO STOP this is too easy and too much fun!!!
Larry
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Thank you all so much! I love the ideas!
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Any more great ideas?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Illusions Shows aren't just made up of Illusions- other stage magic is used as fill-in material between Illusions, or to provide theme context for the Illusions. With that in mind, I recommend you look into: Eleazar Goodenough's book "Tear-Able Magic - Paper Magic for Wizards" on my site, particularly the section on "Hawaiian Lei paper tear" and "Hawaiian Swimsuit - Grass Skirt Paper Tear" and if you want Eleazar's full Island routine, add to that his "Giant Palm Tree and Ladder" routine from the same e-baook.

You might also find the Water Coffin Illusion usable, from The Wizards' Journal #9.

Another possibility is the Shower Illusion from Jim Gerrish's PVC Pipe Illusion Book #2, and, strange as it may seem, I think you might have a use for The Litter Vanish Illusion from the same book.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Thanks for your post. I call the show an illusion show but it only includes about four illusions. I have a lot of other stage material to include, but am specifically looking for illusions and stage magic that I can make a Hawaiian theme of. I'll look into the books and effects you listed. The Crazy Cabana is something that would fit in to the show great. I'll check in to all of it. Thanks Again!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
No suggestions for specific material but rather on heat safety.

For those in the animal suits, if the park insists on specific costumes you may need to hire one extra hand or assistant and have them switch out in intervals. And in between suits they need to hydrate constantly (even if it is humid). Heat exhaustion can overwhelm someone very fast and they may not even be aware its coming over them.

I grew up in Texas and understand the heat. I was also an infantry officer and dealt with men in chemical warfare suits and heat issues as well. One of the most important things in dealing with what you describe is NO SOFT DRINKS, water only and lots of it. Your body needs more water to process a soft drink than the amount of water you get from it, so it in essence drains water from your body. Next be sure to have some shade nearby for your non-suited person to sit in. It doesn't have to be air conditioned, just out of the sun and with a breeze.

Good luck on your show, hope it goes well, and ride all the rides at least twice.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
In one of paul osbourne's books he had a neat super-X variation where the assistant appears to be "suspended" on 3 silk streamers being blown up by fans- looked sort of like a poor man's water fountain levitation.

Stage Sized Gozinta boxes could also have small fans built in.

If this is not a low budget thing, you could consider reworking some illusions with meshes or scrim walls where possible to allow for air flow.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Shade is no problem, there’s plenty of that! And, I’d say that our show has a low budget. This year I have hired extra help so that the characters (and me) onstage don't have to help unload and set up. Last year we all were unloading and became exhausted before ever going onstage. Basically, all of our energy was gone. I'm getting some great ideas for this years show and it’s going to be much better. Thanks for all your help!
just_larry
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of just_larry
More! You want more?....... (Oliver twist, yes I am cultured)

The vanishing leg trick but use a grass skirt and then in the end both legs are gone (I believe it is in the Osborne plans, or sold by Abbots)
Tiki god square circle
Instead of fans a miniature volcano and "used the heat from the lava" (colored lights and on of those cloth flame thingys) to float the audience sacrifice....I mean Volunteer!
Tiki hut/doll house
Modern Art/ Cabana Hut. Don't forget the costume change

You know what I would like a little help her , tell use what you have or are thinking about and we can help, cause there have been some awesome suggestions on this post from everybody so help us narrow it down.
Anything peak you interest?
Larry
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
From Last Years Show: Needle thru Balloon, Lemon Game, Sub Trunk, Tip-Over Trunk, Airtight (stage version), Human Underwater Breathing, Zig-Zag, card in Moth with radio D.J., Linking Rings (floties), The Amazing RA (a routine with a dove thru glass prop,) + some more that I can't think of at the moment.

The crazy Cabana is something that I may end up doing. Angles are a concern for us because the stage is a just wooden platform (deck like) with no side curtain, backdrop, etc. We set up a backdrop and in some cases, make a side wing. What ever I decide to do I have to be careful about angles. There is a rive type deal that runs behind the stage and guests can grab an inner tube and jump in. They couldn’t get out if they wanted too, but people will be floating by behind us. The backdrop will block them though.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I agree you should go with a theme that includes beachwear. Water shoes can be kept wet for coolness. Toss all the tuxes for this show and go with shorts and swimsuits. No speedos, please. Smile The clothing is going to make the most difference, along with the suggestion made by Habu regarding drinking LOTS of water. No soda pop!

To keep cool, you can even perform in damp clothing (dip it in water, roll it up in a towel and squish the towel-roll with your feet.). Damp clothing will keep you cool and with most colors the audience will probably not even notice.

In closed bases, like crystal casket, etc., you can pack the edges with frozen blue ice that you keep in an ice chest backstage. This will make the base very cool for your assistant. Please don't bring your animals to the park. It is just toooo hot. Cold-blooded reptiles will even die in this heat.

Set up a side wing and/or backstage. You need this, especially with illusions. Backstage you can apply blue ice packs to the neck, belly and wrists between sets. Get a small battery-operated fan to keep the air moving. Finally, there are cool pack neckwraps that look like thin bandanas that you wet and wear. You can get them in the fishing-sporting goods stores. Those really keep you cool. Good luck!
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
Ray,

This is John. I live down in south texas as well as perform down here. I try not to book outdoor shows as well because of the heat and humidity, but I do occasionaly.

Try to wear something cooling, but you also have to wear something that will make you stand out from the audience. I personally have not gone to a show with out wearing a suit or collared shirt with nice slacks. In your case I would suggest wearing one of those shirts with the tuxedo front printed on it. I have never worn one of them before, but in your case it sounds like it would be fasionably reasonable for that occasion. Check with the people incharge and make sure your attire is suitable for them, get it approved first.

Also, drink lots of water!

I hope this helps,

-John
armagician
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of armagician
Hey John- Great to hear from you! I also do not book outdoor shows that often. You should come to one of our shows out at SplashTown. Its in your area!
johnobryant
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
195 Posts

Profile of johnobryant
I will try this year. Last year I couldn't because my schedule was packed. There is a lot of magic that needs to be done down here and someone has to take care of it. lol. Do you have a performance schedule yet? I would like to see if I can open a day to go out there.

-John
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
As another Texan I feel your pain. Man oh man. We usually work a country club gig each year on the Fourth of July-outdoors! Its a killer. And yes, drink water...wear water...absorb water..."be the water"! Taking advantage of the theme and tone of the event can help you adapt costumes. Do whatever you have to but do whatever you have to do to survive the heat. *I used to say "beat the heat" but Ive been a Texan long enough to know that isn't possible here! Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Help: Outdoor Illusion Show Problems! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL