The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » The trick That Can’t Be Explained (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Can anyone tell me where Dai Vernon’s “The trick That Can’t Be Explained” is written up or it what book I might find it?
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
It is in Vernon's 'Inner Secrets of Card Magic.' If you are not familiar with it, I would steer clear of doing it, as it is a weird routine. Never tried it, but no desire to...
Rennie

Posted: Feb 6, 2007 11:47pm
-------------------------------
Checked this evening, and it is in 'More Inner Secrets of Card Magic,' page 76.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Rennie,

Thanks for the post. I do not have "More Inner Secrets of Card Magic", but I will be on the look out for the book. A card man at our IBM meeting, Monday, did it, and it was very good. All the card stuff he did was very, very good. He is totally dedicated to card magic, and reads and researches magic books for gems that go over-looked by others. When he did this, without explanation, there was nothing weird about it. You might give it a second look.

Tom

Posted: Feb 12, 2007 5:40pm
----------------------------------
Rennie,

After studying Dai Vernon’s “The Trick That Can’t Be Explained,” I understand your suggestion about steering clear of it. It must have been the special handling by a devoted, skilled and creative card man that showed it to us.

Thanks,
Tom
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Tom,
As you can see, it is not as simple as it sounds. You have 52 cards to go through while trying to locate the selected card, which you magically reveal after numerous cuts and moves....I think while trying to perform it, you look like a fool who made a mistake... Maybe Dai could do it ok, but us commoners, uh-uh.
Rennie
Aaron DeLong
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
278 Posts

Profile of Aaron DeLong
Wait!!! What a great routine and an excellent exercise in jazz magic!

Why would you steer clear of it? There are soooo many possibilities with this effect. TOM, there are a lot of other write-ups about this effect, particularly appearing in Eric Mead's Tangled Web where he uses two decks in play to create absolute miracles using the procedures in TTTCBE (THE TRICK THAT CAN'T BE EXPLAINED).

Others have made some amazing contributions to this effect, as well. Just have to do a little more digging. I have just discovered this myself, and I have been having an amazing time with it. I already have some additional work, myself, on it.

Please don't pass this by. It deserves your consideration. Especially for those times when you don't have anything setup and you aren't prepared to be "MAGIC BOY" when everyone wants to see a card trick.

Just my thoughts...

Aaron
Michael Ammar will one day cure all known diseases as a kicker to his coins across routine.

Get the facts! Visit www.AmmarFacts.com!
www.tru-magic.com
www.doubledtour.com
Aaron DeLong
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbus, OH
278 Posts

Profile of Aaron DeLong
And, it is completely hands off! You don't have to touch the deck... not once! The spec can't go back and pin anything on you. They did all of it. What a miracle!
Michael Ammar will one day cure all known diseases as a kicker to his coins across routine.

Get the facts! Visit www.AmmarFacts.com!
www.tru-magic.com
www.doubledtour.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Aaron, some of us are myopic, so using marked cards is out, and similarly, some of us are harebrained, needing to keep attention and focus on the audience, so "thinking on ones feet" is not so attractive either.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 18:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Aaron, some of us are myopic, so using marked cards is out, and similarly, some of us are harebrained, needing to keep attention and focus on the audience, so "thinking on ones feet" is not so attractive either.

So let it be written; so let it be rote.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Yes, and some of us have hated card tricks and refused to use any until recently. Only after realizing that I'm missing out by not doing card magic have I decided to learn any at all.

Have you ever tried to learn something you have a great dislike for? The hole thing is like being sick and taking medicine that tastes absolutely horrible, only because you know it will make you better. That's why I have decided to start with something easier first.

I just would like to find two or three good ones, and none with the words “Pick a card”.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Tom,
Purchase 'The Card Magic of Nick Trost,' and you will have enough card effects to satisfy you for a long time. Not very many "Pick a Card" tricks are in it, just mindblowing, simple to perform, fantastic card magic...Very highly recommended!!
Rennie
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 10:25, Rennie wrote:
Tom,
As you can see, it is not as simple as it sounds. You have 52 cards to go through while trying to locate the selected card, which you magically reveal after numerous cuts and moves....I think while trying to perform it, you look like a fool who made a mistake... Maybe Dai could do it ok, but us commoners, uh-uh.
Rennie

Most of the time, no cuts or shuffles are required to reveal the card. Just large brass ones.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-03-07 20:36, Bill Palmer wrote:

Most of the time, no cuts or shuffles are required to reveal the card. Just large brass ones.

Cups?

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-07 11:49, Tom Bartlett wrote:
A card man at our IBM meeting, Monday, did it, and it was very good. All the card stuff he did was very, very good. He is totally dedicated to card magic, and reads and researches magic books for gems that go over-looked by others.

That's probably why he did the trick so well. As Vernon explains: the more knowledge you have, the more skilled with cards you are; the more "tools" you have, the better you can do the trick.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
298 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
Might I add to check out the Vernon Revelations, Vol. #7. A really good interview about the trick and how the Professor came up with it.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
Retchin
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Retchin
This trick can be found in 'More Inner Card Secrets' by Lewis Ganson.
BenSimon
View Profile
Regular user
Munich, Germany
137 Posts

Profile of BenSimon
Aww... I've read about this one somewhere. Can anybody explain/describe the effect? Smile
DGillam
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of DGillam
Effect: A card merely thought of is revealed in an astonishing way. Sounds pretty good, huh? According to Vernon, "there is no sleight of hand involved; no moves; no memorising; in fact nothing difficult at all; (and) the method is certainly sure-fire". The only downside to the trick is that it requires a lifetime of experience in order to perform it.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 21:54, Retchin wrote:
This trick can be found in 'More Inner Card Secrets' by Lewis Ganson.

And, as Rennie pointed out, in the third post of the thread.

Quote:
Checked this evening, and it is in 'More Inner Secrets of Card Magic,' page 76.

It helps to read the whole thread. Trust me on this.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Bill,
Thanks for pointing that out. I was about to say the same.
Rennie
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Stewart James had some work on this. His version was called the Face-up Prediction (I think).......whilst reading this thread, I have had a thought. Could this premise be applied to the Open Prediction plot? .......this would be a jazz approach to the plot (for those in the know) and would be kind of like a hybrid ending to Vernon's plot.

Hmmmmm, thinking.......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » The trick That Can’t Be Explained (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL