The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Chair Suspension: Which One!!! (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RSteele
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of RSteele
Anyone have any other great chair suspension recommendations?

PS in marketing I use the term "floating" although I know it's a suspension. I do this simply that the lay audience cannot get a good visual in their mind with the term "I will suspend someone from the audience" just doesn't have the same "ring!"
just my experience>
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I've been very happy with Jay Leslie's Elite Chair Suspension. There is one for sale on the Café Classifieds (you need 50 posts to access) but hopefully they might reach out to youif it is still available. I also was happy with the MAK Steele Suspension but found Jay's version even better. A number of folks speak very highly of the European Chair Suspensions.

Dan.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2013-01-06 19:10, RSteele wrote:
Anyone have any other great chair suspension recommendations?

PS in marketing I use the term "floating" although I know it's a suspension. I do this simply that the lay audience cannot get a good visual in their mind with the term "I will suspend someone from the audience" just doesn't have the same "ring!"
just my experience>

I use an Abbott's Suspension, but they're not available new. Because of the visible board, I say that the child is "balanced" on the chair. It gets quite a reaction. I've added some minor modifications to make it deceptive, up close.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I have a MAK, pretty old and very reliable, but I prefer a super X or similar, where there is no visible means of support and you can use a hoop too, this further enhances the illusion and both run about the same cost, except maybe the Blaney at about 3 Grand. and after seeing one, worth every bit.

Dave
btedeski
View Profile
Veteran user
Pittsburgh PA
322 Posts

Profile of btedeski
>> Most will scream out. "There is another board." when you pull the chair and board away.

Interesting, Never had anyone screem that out, usally when I remove the board, the is a bit of silence than possitive reaction from the kids. I have had peaple come up and tell me that the suspentions was the best thing in the show. (next to the rabbit of course)

I bought my used, it is a heavy duty setup, much heavery than the MAC ones I have seen,

I agree with all the comments about Kyle's ebook, if your going to add the chair suspention to your act, you need to read the ebook,\
lots of tips and good information that I have not seen any were other than in one of Kyle's posts. Smile
Billy The Clown
www.BillyTheClown.com

Bill Tedeski
Pittsburgh PA

Were magic is just too funny....
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2012-06-08 01:01, Kevinr wrote:
Most will scream out. "There is another board." when you pull the chair and board away.

I once saw a lecture where the anglo performer used a die tube that was painted black. None of the magicians noticed it until it was pointed out to them.

If someone is doing this and the audience screams out, "There is another board," I would urge that person to either:

A) drop the effect from their repertoire or
B) develop and improved presentation.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
My presentation was as a Master Hypnotist...hypnotized the child and told them they were getting lighter and lighter, as light as a feather. That way, the suspension was proof of the Mitox, not an effect in and of itself.

I've always felt tricks are stronger when they explained or illustrated something else.

One helium balloon on a string with a large loop at the end and slipped over the feet and ankles allowed the child to BE as light as a feather.

There was NO 'Ta Daa!'moment, everything was pretty quiet because the child was supposedly in trance and I was busy with the hypnosis. The kids in the audience were flabbergasted, of course, by the kid actually being as light as a feather, suspended only by a balloon tied to their feet.

After the effect, the kids got to tell the child what had happened, as he/she was blindfolded and had no idea support had been removed. Their excietement always grew as they tried to explain, and make the kid believe that he was really hypnotised and relly floated.

The effect had about 3 stages to it, each getting more and more amazing. It worked well.

I had a Klamm, and loved it. Klamm has built in a slope to the public support-board that makes it so much easier to slide back under their shoulders.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I used to have a Sommers, but sold it when I purchased Jay Leslie's Elite Supspension. His is much better built and now I have been able to suspend an adult with out any concern regarding weight. It is a bit heavier than the Sommers model, but not that much heavier. I also highly recommend Kyle's ebook on how to properly present the illusion. The great thing about adding this to your offerings is you can charge more if your client wants to add it to the show
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Walter Blaney makes the best on ever. It's expensive, but brilliant. It is the creme of the crop, so you hardly ever find a used one for sale.
Success to all.
john wills
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of john wills
Jhard, please don't forget the chairs of Bill Smith!
marksmagiceye
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of marksmagiceye
I have a Bill Smith chair suspension, I've now used it for over 100 shows.

Yes it is heavy, I had a flight case made, so it can be pushed up and down the ramp in my van.

This prop is quite tall, so the person sitting on the plank will need a small stool or box to get on to the illusion.

The weight of the plank will take some getting use to, if you suffer from a bad back, I suggest you don't get this version.

The chairs are very heavy and very strong. But they look like they are made out of lolly pop sticks, which adds to the illusion. with the assistant usually asking "will that hold me"?

Bill will make this in 2 variations.

1, This is the variation of the assistant having to hold their legs up for a matter of seconds (some audience members will fail at this and render your expensive illusion useless).

2, This one has the full support for the assistant, who does not need to lift their legs up.

I bought the first variation, but found out its easier to have the full support put in place, by an engineering company. (or ask bill when ordering).

If using full support, your able to keep them suspended for longer and allow a little more performance. The Bill Smith one isn't without issues that carful rehearsal will overcome. (I ended up using a second helper).

The biggest problem has been, women's stiletos and not been able to get the second chair back under. (advice: lengthen support or ask them to take shoes off, the first is better)
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Mark, thanks so much for posting your experiences with the Bill Smith Model. Very helpful.
I'm still trying to decide which suspension / levitation is right for my show. I've considered Bill's chair suspension, along with the Blaney Ladder, and Steinmeyers paranormal.
Lots of things to consider.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
If there is a version of this that can support a 250 lb guy I would be interested. I see that an engine block can be placed on the European model. What model is this?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why do you want to support a 250 pound man? Any chair suspension depends on balancing the volunteer if not a little then a lot - and no, the euro does not hold an engine block exactly.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Why wouldn't I want to levitate a big ol dude!?! It is a great mixup from the traditional views and can make for a good comedy moment when you declare you want the tiniest, lightest volunteer, then proceed to pick the biggest guy there!
I found a picture of someone with an engine resting on the European model. Oh that was you LOL
Im just researching different levitation devices. Ya know
So Whats with the engine block post then lol?
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2012, jay leslie wrote:
Ever see an engine block on a chair suspension?
marksmagiceye
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of marksmagiceye
I feel the Bill Smith chairs could hold a bloke quite easily. But trying to lift the board and sliding the second chair back into place would be very difficult.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The proline suspension advertises up to 175 lbs. that’s higher than most.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I’ve been doing this the past 12 years. Don’t get a Mac or Sommers, you’re just wasting your money. If you can’t afford a Leslie or European model, don’t buy one. Believe me, the cheaper models aren’t worth the worries. Although it’s my least favorite illusion, people enjoy it - especially the younger crowd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Chair Suspension: Which One!!! (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL