The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other Side of Trade Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Oops, just realized the event is over. How did it work out? I think we could all learn something.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
My event is in 3 days. I'll let you know how it goes. Smile
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-05-01 19:42, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Hi Jim -

What about a draw for a free birthday show? And then all of the runner-ups get mailed a coupon for a discount on a birthday / or other show? (One grand prize, everyone else is runner up. Maximize your list.)

Somewhere around here is a good post from Starrpower about how he had a draw for a magic kit (entry box at a store, I seem to remember), and then maximized the rest of the entries as possible birthday show prospects.

Or the kids could join a magic club you run (with parental permission on the club application forms).

BTW, don't automatically sign them up for a newsletter or a club, without their knowledge and consent.

The best expectation from an event like this is to collect names for future contact, as opposed to expecting to sell them your services on the spot.

- Donald

P.S. You could also have some sort of souvenir for the children to take with them (either give or sell). Brian suggested a few in the first post on this thread.

Donald,
As always, great info!!!

What information would you ask for on the card for the drawing (allowing for a follow up call later to offer them a discount)??
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
If it were me, I wouldn't do a follow-up call.

I'd do it by mail (runner-up prizes of a discount coupon), especially for parents hosting birthdays.

For the most part, people do not want unsolicited phone calls at home (hence, all the do-not-call lists), but might accept mail more readily.

I might ask the phone numbers, but with a promise to only contact them by phone if they win the contest. Grand prize winner will be notified by phone, runner-up winners will be notified by mail.

You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD put a box on the entry form, they can tick, that says, "Yes, I'm interested in a show. Please call me with further information."

Specify that they must fill out the whole form in order to be eligible. You'll get a lot who try to get away with their name and number only.

Call the grand prize winner. Send all of the runner-ups a coupon immediately, informing them that they won a runner-up prize. Do follow-up calls to those who asked for information about your show.

- Donald

P.S. Another way to do it, is in addition to the immediate follow-up contact (which is important, before they "cool off"), is to contact them again 4-8 weeks before their child's birthday (you asked for that on the form, right?) with an offer for your show, reminding them that they still have their runner-up prize to use.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Donald, you're the man! Well said as always.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks, Troy.

Another thing a person could do with the runner-up prizes is this.

Send a letter informing them who won the grand prize. Also inform them that they won a runner-up prize of a discount coupon. Include the coupon in with the letter.

To give more impact, in that same envelope include a small magic trick, or a giveaway wand, or an (interesting) promotional product, or even some IMD (Invisible Magic Dust).

- Donald

P.S. Remember, not everyone will use their prize, and book your show (using the discount coupon). That's life.
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Seriously, you guys make me want to get back into Birthday Parties.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Donald,
Wow...so much info. So one the form should be:

Name:
Address:
Phone (used only to notify winner etc.):
A box to be checked if they are currently interested in a show.
**Form must be complete to be eligible for the grand prize**

What else am I missing???

I do more than just Birthday's, should I have something on the form about other entertainment needs?? So much to consider. Smile

Also, what if the winner wants a show on a day that I am not available for? What if the winner is further than you are willing to travel? This last one shouldn't be a problem since they are all local but I want to be ready.

Thanks in advance.

JIM
TroyRoark
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield IL
282 Posts

Profile of TroyRoark
Oops, sorry if the B-day Party thing sounded contrite. I don't do B-days, merely by choice. I have a lot of respect for entertainers who choose to do B-days.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sample form idea for you, Jim.

------------------------------

Win a free birthday party entertainment package! Please print -

Your Name:

Mailing / Street Address (in full):

City:

State (Province Smile ):

Zip Code (Postal code Smile ):

Home tel. number:

Age and birthday of child:

Would you like me to call you with more information on my services? What type of show?
- Birthday Party
- School Show
- Church Show
- Other event / festival
- Christmas Party
- Daycare / Preschool
- Other (please specify)

- Other comments or questions:

Note - Draw on May 7, 2007. Grand prize winner will be notified by phone, runner-up winners will be notified by mail. To be eligible, form must be filled COMPLETELY, and form must be filled in by an adult / parent over 18. Limit one entry per person.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-05-03 19:49, SoCalPro wrote:
Also, what if the winner wants a show on a day that I am not available for? What if the winner is further than you are willing to travel? This last one shouldn't be a problem since they are all local but I want to be ready.

Jim -

A quote from one of my old free birthday show certificates:

Quote:
- show must be booked for a mutually agreeable date between December 1, 2003 and November 30, 2004. Please try to call several weeks in advance to secure the date and time you prefer. Dates are available on a first come, first served basis.

- one 30-minute magic show for an in-home birthday party, in the Victoria area.

Of course, there is more to that certificate, but those two points answer your questions. You set the terms and conditions of the prize. I even told them on my certificate what they were getting, audience size limits, etc.

Also, you get to draw the name. The most likely chance is that you will choose a name of a local person. If not, then re-draw as necessary, so the certificate you want to send them isn't "void" / "non-usable." Smile

Don't forget, on the certificate, to offer the option to upgrade from your regular show to your deluxe one (assuming you offer more than one), for an extra fee, the difference.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2007-05-02 16:01, SoCalPro wrote:
My event is in 3 days. I'll let you know how it goes. Smile

How did it go, Jim?

- Donald
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Donald, that is FUNNY..."redraw as necessary."
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
A person could also specify that the show was to be in a certain community (travel area), on the entry forms / on the sign advertising the draw. That is really what you should do in the first place. It is perfectly acceptable to limit where you are willing to do the show, audience size, and other terms of the free show.

When I did a draw a few years ago, I had to re-draw at least once because people hadn't filled in their forms completely (missing addresses, phone numbers, forms filled in by kids, etc). That was how I learned THAT lesson. Smile

- Donald
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Other Side of Trade Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL