The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neil Foster's Center Tear (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Just debuted it at one of the schools I work with, for the 4-year-old class. The first response upon restoration, by one of the girls, was "Awesome!" The teachers did a double-take and asked , "Wait, I did see you rip it, didn't I?" The other kids kept asking how I did it.

I used it to illustrate being friends (since Valentine's Day is coming up), and the newspaper represented one of our friends with whom we might've had a disagreement (the tear), and even though we all sometimes have disagreements (tearing the center piece into pieces), we say "I'm sorry" to each other and put aside our differences (placing the torn pieces in the folded newspaper) and we're friends again with our disagreement gone (restoration and the pieces vanished).

Center Tear is definitely a keeper, smooth in the handling and pretty mistake-proof and meanwhile, I have to work on my Anderson T&R (the past two times, respectively, luckily done for family, the restored paper ripped - I forgot to follow the instructions regarding preshow handling - and then a couple nights ago something went flying, say no more, say no more, nudge nudge wink wink.)
davemajor
View Profile
Regular user
UK
184 Posts

Profile of davemajor
HI yeah I had the same problem with my Anderson T&R but ive found my problem was with the w**e in the c**p ive recently got centre tear from a friend of mine and it was just the instructions ive made a couple but they don't look great, I was wondering what sort of paper you use, is it just a newspaper or is it glossy paper etc?
Thanks,
Dave Major
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I first used a thicker tabloid-sized paper, but am now using USA Today, which is more standard newspaper size.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have used the foster Center Tear for year. I use a full sized paper( like the USA today size). One of the keys is use a good perorating wheel. I used to use a dress makers wheel but now you can get the really sharp perorating wheels I the craft stores or Wallmart that work great. I make them up several at a times.

One caution use a good glue that does not dry out over time. Otherwise you pull out the paper to work it and find it falling apart on you.

Folksing check your regular mail. Something that may help.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Richard -
Thanks for the tips - I think I have a Royal Magic watch winder that broke after a day or so, that I though I could use afterwards as a pastry wheel and like that; if I can find it, I'll use it on the papers. My grocery store was out of rubber cement when I got the newspapers, so I got glue sticks instead, which actually seem to be better suited and more forgiving for Center Tear, though I'd prefer rubber cement for Anderson's.

Regarding your last line, thanks in advance, and just wanted to make sure you're using my current verizon email and not the defunct aol one that's listed in my Café profile (gotta change that...). Since we've corresponded recently, I'm assuming you have my verizon email, but just making sure.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Life without Neil Foster's Center Tear is no life at all. I'm not even interested in a replacement.

For full size newspapers I still use the Gene Anderson Tear. However, I like to follow paper tears with live dove produced from a Challet Gloves to Dove. The Neil Foster tear gives less paper to dispose of. That's important.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I forgot to mention that I always use glue sticks to put it together.

charley, I have to resend the email as it bounced back.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
Richard -
The email just came in - it's very helpful and I really appreciate your sending it. Thanks!
Charley
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Glue stix are a way of life in the magic and newspaper business!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
All hail Neil Foster!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Whatever glue you use, you should not make it up far in advance. Back when I was using this, I wanted to use the Newspaper of the same day as the show, so I had to make it up that day. The glue just doesn't have time to dry out.

Instead of a perforating wheel, use a sewing machine to do the perforating. Good machines will do different sizes of stiches, so experiment to get the right setting. Don't use thread, of course. You can stack up several papers and do them all at once.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Dennis is correct. Too far ahead and the glue sitcks wil fail. By that I mean, don't make months of them ahead. Did you ever notice how old glue sticks shrink. Same thing happens to the glue.
Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have performed Neil Foster's Center Tear at every one of my shows for many years. Always - Always gets a "Wooooooo" (Hope I spelled that correctly) response from the audiences.

I found it also in Marconic's hard bound book. The only difference was that the torn out section was larger and thus a bigger diamond shape.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Love the trick...love the effect...but I am simply unable to make them on my own as the original instructions that came with are not very clear at all. Is this written up anywhere...or better yet...has it every been explained on video?

Thanks,
Cody
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No video to my knowledge, and the instructions are great. When the trick is purchased, you get 6 prepared newspapers. So you have a good instructions and samples.

In my opinion - a video would be a total waste of time, and money. Neil Foster is gone now, and I also think the only person that should make a video is Neil Foster.

As mentioned previously by a member, you can buy refills from Abbott's. I learned to make my own, because I went up to Abbott's at least once a month, and they never had any made up to sell. So being tired of waiting for them, I made my own. It only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to prepare.

Glue stick is the way to go, as mentioned by others.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

A video certainly wouldn't be a waste of my money...I couldn't seem to figure it...and like you I hated buying refills...Oh well...

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Anything that was good enough for Neil Foster was and is good enough for me!

Neil Foster is/was the reason I got into Magic in the first place!!!

His center tear is simple, quick, easy to follow, and pretty darn hard to beat for a "quickie" newspaper tear/restoration.

And yes, glue sticks are the way to go.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Cody,
I sent you my revised directions how to make them. It should not be that hard.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

O.K. now I really feel like a dolt!

Richard...I really appreciated that...but that was during our last move...I lost them during the transition and did not want to impose on your kindness a second time...

Cody

Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Just out of interest, I have the instructions as per the original printing. Not the easiest to follow. Anyway, I also have the 'sample' paper as supplied. A 1974 edition of the Daily Mail (UK), which is now yellowed and delicate!! In the 'Jobs' section, the English Police have an advert to join... & make less than £1,800 a year!! Luckily they're on considerably more now... which is fortunate as petrol's almost $10 a gallon... and I remember it being around 35p in the mid 70's!!
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Neil Foster's Center Tear (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL