The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » New Posts Since Last Visit -- Not working! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
All my coffee mugs are red and staying red for days now. Is there a setting that got inadvertantly changed?
Michael Kamen
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, delete your cookies and temp files in your browser. That will change all the cups back to white and reset everything.
Where the magic begins
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Thanks Dave. After deleting as you said, and rebooting, the cups have turned white. I assume they will now behave normally again.
Michael Kamen
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you're using IE as a browser, you'll occassionally see this problem. I"ve gotten so I disregard the cups altogether but then I'm here almost all the time and know where I've been and when.

You said when you log in, all of the cups are red. That's is strange even though I've given you a fix. When you first go to the Café, all the cups will be red until you actually log in, then you should only see red cups in topics that have new posts since the last time you logged in.
Where the magic begins
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
I had to re-log in after deleting the cookies, but I had checked my login status prior to that and the default status was logged in. As you would expect, I was able to post messages without any problems. Just the cups stayed red hours and days after prior visits. Accumulated quite a lot of red cups there. Went on for several days before I contacted you.
Michael Kamen
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Hey Dave,

Once again, my cups are staying red many hours after the last visit, and no new posts are in the pertinent threads. I would prefer not to delete my cookies etc., as they serve a desirable purpose.

The Café software's feature of "recycling every 15 minutes" does not seem to be working, unless there is a setting for each user's configuration that I am not aware of.

Michael
Michael Kamen
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, have you selected the option of keeping yourself logged in all the time, or do you log in each time you visit?
Where the magic begins
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
I seem to be logged in by default. Always logged in yes.
Michael Kamen
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I believe that is the problem. The cups change to red when a new post has been received since you last logged in. If you never log out, then the cups will remain red.

You can scroll down the list of forums looking at the right side of the screen for the last date a post was received and by whom. I understand this is a pain and time consuming and you have to remember when you were on line before.
Where the magic begins
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Thanks Dave. Its just that this is a new behavior. In the past, after a couple of hours with no new posts, and just a screen refresh, the cups would turn white until the next new post.

Also if you are correct, when I log out and log back in again the system should reset in some way. However, this does not occur. Logging out, then back in 5 minutes later the cups are still red.
Michael Kamen
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4892 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Michael, I'm not the tech guy here so most of my suggestions are from past experience. I'll leave the next step up to those that know about this stuff. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Where the magic begins
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
The cups use cookies on a ten-minute length. Logging out and back in doesn't change the cookie the cup uses, so that makes no difference. If the cups are acting strangely, you likely have two cookies set, one for themagiccafe.com and another for http://www.themagiccafe.com (with and without the www). With both cookies on your machine, both are being read and that's what causes the problem. The only "fix" is to delete one or both of the Café cookies so that only one remains, or none are left so the next time you access a Café page a new cookie is set and you start out fresh.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Thanks Gene. Would you please remind me what folder these might be in, or the file extension / naming convention so I can find them.
Michael Kamen
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
All the cups have gone white suddenly. I have not deleted anything (?)
Michael Kamen
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
Right now everything seems to be working normally, and I have not done anything. Whatever you did, Gene, thanks!
Michael Kamen
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
My red and white cups have not been working correctly since about February 7th as well. I will not delete all my cookies as I need them for other things. If you can identify the specific names and folders where the magiccafe cookies are kept, I will try to manually delete them, but I believe that the more likely solution is in some change that was made on the Café servers on or about Feb 6 or 7, perhaps a clock or timer change. You should not expect your 28,000 plus or minus members to go resetting their cookies to solve this problem that is most likely on your end of the web. Before Feb 7th - all worked normally. After Feb 7, red and white cups no longer work normally, not just for me, but for those who cared enough about it to report it here. Please take some reasonable action to fix the problem.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
For the sake of completeness of the record, the apparent resolution of the problem mentioned in my last post did not last long. So, I continued my search for the 2 cookies that Glen made reference to, one with "the" and the other without. I found them, deleted one of them, and the cups have been behaving normally since then for the last week or so. It is quite possible that there was a change in the forum's configuration that rendered the "double cookie" situation problematic where it may not have been so previously. It is too bad no one seems to be interested in commenting on this possibility.
Michael Kamen
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Without deleting any cookies and without my doing anything at all to change my computer settings, the cups have suddenly started working again for me on 3/21/07. This shows, to me, that something was done by the techs at the Forum. Whether they know what they are doing to cause this or not, I don't know. It is the same as the mysterious advertisements a[ppearing and disappearing. This is the only forum that seems to have such problems. But now at least the cups are back to "normal."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Gene
View Profile
Café Forum Developer
Howard City, MI
276 Posts

Profile of Gene
No, nothing was done. We haven't made any changes in those areas in at least two years. Both of those things have been explained, and you're welcome to think what you like.
Somebody kick me off the computer, will ya? Smile Smile
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Gene, I know what you mean about not changing things so it must not be true. However; my issue with the white/red cups is working just fine today and I did absolutely nothing to change this. I deleted my cookies about 4 days ago trying to fix this problem with no results and first time this morning I opened up the page and abracadabra! Maybe something you guys were working on indirectly made the difference?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Magic Café Tech Help Area » » New Posts Since Last Visit -- Not working! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL