The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The Haunted Temple of Quong Hi (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
636 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
I bought this old prop at a Magic shop in Vancouver 25 years ago. (it was from a magi that had passed away.) It is in good shape , needs a little touch up. It came with a photo copy from a Thayer cataloge which basically tells the story line. But no instructions on the handling. It has just sat on a table in my "magic room" as a decoration all these years. But I would like to do something with it. Use it / sell it. But it would be nice to know the handling. I e-mailed Owens as they list a similar prop , but no response. no one else seems to handle this. Does anyone out there know where I might locate the proper handling of this effect? Thanks , Alan
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Glenn Gravatt (sp?) published 3 or 4 books of the original Thayer instructions some years back. These are still available from several sources and are a joy to look at in their own right. Many years ago someone had us make a similar piece for their own private collection and we essentially worked from those. I don't know which book it's in- I could look it up if you'd like but I imagine someone else on the Café' will get the info to you before I go home to look.
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
This is also in "The Great Illusions of Magic" by Byron Wels (Tannen publication), but even though it has full construction details, oddly it does not give a description of the effect.

I also recall seeing this at Norm Nielsen's site, but am not sure if it is exactly the same item. There is a video demo which may prove helpful.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Michael-
The Checker Cabinet is a very similar item but not quite the same piece. I'll try to remember to look this up tonight.
Dave Dorsett
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
636 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Thank you Dave , and Michael. Michael the Checker cabinet is similar. But not quite the same. I appreciate your help. And Dave you do seem to be familiar with what I have. Alan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That's good to know. I am not familiar with Nielsen's piece, but Thayer's Haunted Temple and Blocks of Quong Hi, as I mentioned, I have the plans for here. It just does not have the routine description, which is unusual for that set of books. I have Thayer book # 1 here, and the instructions are not in it, but there is a photo of the piece on page 235.

I do have easy access to the other books, and would also like to know which book it is in, so I can more familiarize myself with it.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Thayer Quality Magic Volume 3, Glenn Gravatt pg 157-159 "No. 502-The Haunted Cabinet and Blocks of Quong Hi" $60.00 (Plans $1.00)

If you want me to send you the whole patter, pm me your email address and I'll get to it tomorrow.
Dave Dorsett
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks Dave! I can get it from that info.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Thayer also sold a stage-sized (larger) version for $100.

See page 51 of Thayer Catalog No. 9, Volume 2 for descriptions.
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Just in case you missed it everywhere else, Alan, I've emailed you the routine Enjoy!
Dave Dorsett
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
636 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Thanks Dave , Very much , I received it. What a surprise! Alan
Mike McErlain
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto & Green Cove Springs, FL
130 Posts

Profile of Mike McErlain
I saw this item on Ron Alessi's auction site recently. Wow, what a beautiful piece! They're worth thousands of dollars now!
johnmagic
View Profile
New user
13419 fitzhugh road austin tx 78736
71 Posts

Profile of johnmagic
Do you still have the Quong Hi Haunted checker cabinet I am looking for one if it’s for sale please let me know JOHN MAGIC my phone 626 -2151841
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
636 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
No I don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » The Haunted Temple of Quong Hi (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL