The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Maynia DVD by Andrew Mayne? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Taurus
View Profile
New user
Canada
72 Posts

Profile of Taurus
I won this off of iTricks.
Subscribe to the Magic Week in Review Podcast

www.itricks.com
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Im Sorry fellas I have been at work and just got the chance to look at this. I will try to give a good review this week. But you will say this and quote me "Stab'd" and "Drawn From The Light" Alone are worth more then double what Andrew is selling this for. Ill try to get in depth later this week.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 02:09, paisa23 wrote:
Im Sorry fellas I have been at work and just got the chance to look at this. I will try to give a good review this week. But you will say this and quote me "Stab'd" and "Drawn From The Light" Alone are worth more then double what Andrew is selling this for. Ill try to get in depth later this week.

I agree, Drawn From The Light really rocks. Such a simple and direct magical effect that can be done close up or on stage. This effect packs small and plays big.

Pop Fist is a great little opener with a big bang, literally. Many applications and uses come to mind for this and again this effect can be done close-up or standup. I really like the idea of pulling a string from someones shirt which creates a bit of comedy... then creating magic with something so simple.

Card Stab is another really cool effect. It's in your face high impact magic with a pack of cards. Anyone into "street" magic will add this to their arsenal. The setup and method are simple and direct. No hardcore sleight of hand and there isn't any funny handling. I might add the setup only takes a few seconds.

Finger Saw is one of my favorites on this DVD. Again it is simple but the illusion created is deceptive.... this effect will make women scream. I like effects like this Smile .

Stab'd... is a nice effect with a cool presentation. The build up is strong and the fact that everyone at some point or another has stabbed themselves with a pencil helps to build a lot of tension.

The production quality is good and the explanations are clear and concise.

10/10 for me. Highly recommend for anyone wanting to add a few unique effects to their show.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Quote:
On 2007-03-15 02:09, paisa23 wrote:
But you will say this and quote me "Stab'd" and "Drawn From The Light" Alone are worth more then double what Andrew is selling this for. Ill try to get in depth later this week.

Yup, 100% with you on that. I can't wait to 'draw the light'.

Derek Merdinyan
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
The draw the light indeed was very refreshing and clever... Even worth the price of the dvd if this kind of effect interests you. As for the rest of the stuff in the dvd... Well, it wasnt really bad but certainly not up to the draw the light. Finger saw was very similar to Lee Ashers finger box of death, card stab with finger looked quite unconvincing and Harkeys version of party popper is just in my opinion much better. The russian routelle type thing with enveloped has some potential but it looks very unconvinsing at least when demoed on tape. But still, draw the light was one of the most refreshing magic effects I have seen in a long time. It really caught me off guard.
gitty
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria
871 Posts

Profile of gitty
FINGER SAW and STAB'D are my favorit tricks on the DVD.
Easy but very clever!
WALTHER
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Andrew Mayne Maynia
Medium: DVD
Arena: close up stand up
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I’ve not seen a lot of Andrews material but I know he is a rather creative individual and is one of the young lions of magic. I saw a kind of negative review on this DVD so I put off watching it for awhile but now that I have seen it I have to say I’m impressed with both the content and cost as well as the production level. As far as production goes the picture and camera work is fine and the sound is done right. Can’t ask more than that. They also broke down each step into …. Ready? Steps! I liked that as well. The DVD is short, goes over five items, Andrew does a great job performing and explaining the material. Lets take a look at what is on this DVD.

Drawn From The Light:

This is a very neat stand up piece. The routine is you take out a small pad of paper, draw a light bulb on it, the bulb lights up (the drawing), then you produce a lit light bulb from the pad. The routine is well thought out and it looks great. Easy to do and I think you would get a strong reaction. I would use this as an opener, or close to the start of a stand up show so the pad can be put away and hopefully not thought of afterward. Even then I’d have a dup ready to hand out.

Finger of Death:

A card stab using the finger, simple as that. I think that it looked good and for you hall way hit men you’ll enjoy doing this, so will the street commandos. Pretty neat stuff.

Stab’d:

This is a pocket version of the Russian Roulette type routine where danger exist in the form of a pencil punching through someone. This type of routine relies upon your ability to present the effect. If you can pull it off something like this plays really well.

Pop Fist:

This opened the DVD and is the only one I didn’t care for. I think it is too obvious to the audience. During the performance the camera moved away from the dirty work because I was, without knowing what he was doing, already looking where he didn’t want people to look because his actions, to a magician, were too telegraphing. Others may like it, I just didn’t think it fit my style.

Finger Sawing:

I liked this when it ran in Genii and I like it now. I think it is a cool quickie. Is it brilliant illusion? No, but it is cool and if presented well very effective.

Well, the 80/20 rule continues to apply and over all I enjoyed the magic on this DVD and thought they did a very good job putting it together. While I don’t think the advanced guys will be into this the young guys out there should get a kick out of this material. Congrats to Andrew, good job, you should be able to find this at any quality magic shop.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK OK OK Sorry it has taken me this long to write a review. Those of you who are in the Military will understand that when an Inspection is around the corner, no one rests. I also like that its rather late then as soon as it released, I was just not aware that the man would come out with 2 more DVDs since this one. So ill get straight into it.

"Maynia"
By Andrew Mayne

He opens by saying what the DVD is about and goes right into his first example of what "POP MAGIC" is.

Pop Fist: Is a way to create what he likes to call a "moment", now this can be done as an opener mid way or closer, personally I would do this as an opener or for those "almost on the spot" moments. (ON THE SPOT) come on we all expect to do at least one trick the minute we leave the house. OK now the effect is while seemingly showing your hands empty you pull out a small string, you place it in you fist ed hand and a small truly unexpected explosion occurs. That is why I would use this as an opener, to me it would get the attention of a few others out there and might just make your crowd just a bit bigger. Its one of those squint your eyes , tilt your head, shrug your shoulders type of things where you wonder what it was that just happened. Although an OK effect and maybe some of you will like it better but this was my least favorite effect of the DVD.

Drawn From The Light: Oh by far my favorite effect in the entire DVD. It really caught me by surprise and put in that "WHY didn't I THINK OF THAT!!!"
moment. This effect is worth the price of the DVD I think. This is one of those things where I say that Magic has occurred, this is one of those effects that when you try to explain to your friend what you saw sounds like the impossible has occurred. I Will copy and paste this from his description. "Draw a light bulb and make it come to life A light bulb is drawn on a sketch pad. With a wave it comes to life and lights up. You then pull the lit bulb from the pad into reality." that's it true and too the point, what it says happens happens just like that. It was a very eerie moment when I saw it. I loved this effect. I think this will work for close-up and quite honestly on Stage as well.

Death finger:
OK this effect I would use as a closer, only because although it is a very sweet effect you have to do some clean-up that would take away from the momentum of the crowd, unless you are moving on to effects with other props. This is basically an Impromtu sword less, knife less, Card Stab. Here you will do the stabbing with your finger. Have a spectator select a card and mark it, lose it into the deck. (I HATE REPEATING WHATS ON THE BACK OF THE CASE BUT ANDREW EXPLAINS HIS EFFECTS TO A "T'.)Now it is a very visual thing when you spring the cards up in the air and a finger cuts right through the center of the chosen and marked card. Very visual and if you like effects like that and don't mind having to clean up afterwards then I think you will love this as well.

Finger Saw:
In the words of Lloyd Christmas from Dumb and Dumber "I LIKE IT ALOT!"
its a really quick strange moment when you have a spectator saw your finger in half with nothing more then just a playing card. Cuz that's what happens, I did this to my Wife who knows all and sees all, I guess because of its simplicity she was fooled, and that is the true moment of astonishment. I like it and for some reason the position of the spectator completely baffles them. I like this quickie and can see me doing it after a Torn and Restored card effect or Card Warp that way you get two effect out of folded cards.

Stab'd:
This was the reason that I bought this DVD. I had heard and read about this effect. The verdict is in and its a really nice version of the effect. you should know that I love this type of effect, and if I could afford it I would buy every version out there. This Is a great effect for what it is, impromptu, tension builder all around sweet routine. He is right there is No Magicians choice involved at all. A pencil is placed in one of 3 envelopes, and the Spectator decides there fate. It is a simple effect but leaves your spectator feeling different. I cant really explain that its just something that I have picked up on when I have done this version. They are not sure there whether it was you the Magician or there Sixth Sense and was able to avoid a dangerous outcome. I do love the Pencil idea because most of us still to this day have a small pencil mark on our bodies from when one day you accidentally stab ed your self with it. No? I guess it was just me then. This is an effect that you will find yourself doing without even planning on it.

Well that's it brothers. My Full review of Andrew Mayne's "Maynia"
I wont give it a 1 to 10 rating because different strokes for different folks. Some of you might not like this and I understand that, but that's why I do. This is not a life changing DVD that will make you the next Blaine, Angel or any of the new guys that you see on T.V. or maybe it might just be that kind of DVD. What this DVD gives you is a Three moments of True Astonishment and in my opinion TWO great effects it also gets the mind flowing. I mean come on Andrew proves that Anything can be magical. For the price of the DVD compared to the material in it, you shouldn't be disappointed. That is one thing that I love about Andrew Mayne. he is not about the money, he is not out there trying to sell you crap. He is a magician who is constantly giving back the the Craft and the other up and comers. I support that %100 and praise the man for it.

Keep the Hits coming Andrew Mayne. If Nothing else you have a true fan...
Magicray80
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
69 Posts

Profile of Magicray80
Well put Paisa!
"And What Not!!!" paisa23 you know what i mean.
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
I will def. pick this one! Nice review thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Maynia DVD by Andrew Mayne? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL