The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Adding comedy to a show! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
At the moment I am putting together a cabaret show. The style I am going for is a magician that does powerful tricks and gets a laugh. I don't want to be a comedian/magician, just a magician that's funny!

How do you go about putting comedy into your show? Any advice/tips?

P.S. My experience in magic up to now, is close-up adult events and kids shows!

Thanks,
Mike
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 14:20, Michaelrice wrote:
I don't want to be a comedian/magician, just a magician that's funny!

I've been full time for 20 years and it's all I want as well.
The following are all gems:

Have something meaningful to say. Don’t just describe what you are doing or about to do. Meaningful does not mean philosophical or deep, just don't run your mouth without a point.

Learn not to tell jokes on stage.

Learn how to relax and talk to people, not at them.

Before you walk out know exactly what you 'could' say.

Once on stage, don't be too concerned with staying 'on script'.

I would suggest Eugene Burger's early books and anything on improvisation for the stage.
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Thanks for the advice, I will look into Eugene Burger. I saw the videos on your website and I love them.

Mike
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
I attended a meeting for professional speakers and there was this Question:

Q:Do I have to be funny?
A: Only if you want to get paid.

Gil Scott
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
<<<Learn not to tell jokes on stage.>>>

Peter, why not?

One of my most hated things is magicians that think they are writing golden stand up routines that are actually 10 mins of rubbish! At least with jokes if ones not funny there gonna be more that might be funny!

Most of the top comedy magicians use jokes!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Jokes are better if you learn not to rely on jokes but yourself, your personality and your rapport with the audience. Something that is funny amongst "friends" is not as funny (if at all) amongst complete strangers. Make friends with the audience, then you can tell the bad jokes because they love you, not the jokes.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Learn to connect to with your audience. So many performers don't know how to do this. Once you connect, they will be with you.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2571 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Watch sitcoms.

Within the script of any good sitcom no words are wasted, each serves a purpose, and no one describes what they're doing as they're doing it; everything that is said is either a setup for a 'punchline' or is a 'punchline',(or is both) while at the same time it moving the story along.

It might not hurt to have this as something to aim for.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I have to disagree with sitcoms. Although decent to study for set-up and punch, I find personally a lot of sitcoms fail to connect with me. I would watch more of the Comedy channel and comedians and other magicians, jugglers...Here you will learn more about story telling set-up and punch, and also physical comedy. And you will also see how they connect with the audience. That is the key.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I personally enjoy telling jokes throughout a performance. This takes a lot of work as well as trial and error, but for me it is worth it.
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2571 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 19:44, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
I have to disagree with sitcoms. Although decent to study for set-up and punch, I find personally a lot of sitcoms fail to connect with me.

So you disagree,... but then agree they can be decent for studying how to form a script with setups and puchlines which I think was my point. Smile

Many sit coms fail to connect with me too, I just thought it too obvious to say don't bother with the one's that don't work for you. Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 19:25, neal austin wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 19:44, mrbilldentertainer wrote:
I have to disagree with sitcoms. Although decent to study for set-up and punch, I find personally a lot of sitcoms fail to connect with me.

So you disagree,... but then agree they can be decent for studying how to form a script with setups and puchlines which I think was my point. Smile

Neal

I did agree with the studying point of set-up and punch. I just believe that there are better things to study. The connection is what makes it funny.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Adding comedy to a show! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL