The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii online archives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I'm not sure how many of you all are aware that the Genii online archives are up and running. Every issue from 1936 to 1998 with the exception of Volume 55 is available online. There are a few restrictions, such as only being able to download one page at a time, but the archives are fully searchable, meaning that you can usually find exactly what you're looking for. I've only had access to the site for a few days, but already I have found some wonderful gems that I would have never encountered otherwise.

I would like to share a few of my favorite items so far with the hopes that others will share their favorites. Maybe we could put together a little list of hidden gems that have just been rereleased to the magic fraternity. Even if you don't purchase a membership to the archives, you may remember a favorite effect or article from past years. I would love to hear your thoughts.

April 1988 pg. 588- "Torn and Restored Transpo" by David Williamson:
David Blaine performed this effect for Tyra Banks on one of his television specials. The spectator selects a card and returns it to the deck. The magician promises to find the card but turns up the wrong one. The wrong card is ripped up and placed in the spectator's hand. The correct card is removed from the deck where it visually morphs into the indifferent card from before. The spectator opens her hand to find the torn pieces make up her selection. Finally, she holds the pieces inside her hand as they weld themselves back together.

December 1990 pg. 114- "Rattle Rattle Boom" by David Harkey:
A clever borrowed ring and initialed coin to card case that is completely impromptu.

July 1991 pg. 588- "Counterfeit" by Gary Kurtz:
A borrowed bill's serial number is noted. The magician promises to change the bill into a hundred. Unfortunately, the hundred is obviously counterfeit, but amazingly the serial number is the exact same as before.

March 1995 pg. 340- "Tic Tac Toe Chairs" by Ali Bongo:
A spectator is handed an envelope containing two jumbo cards: one is marked with an "X" and the other with an "O." The spectator chooses one and keeps its identity a secret. He then sits on one of seven chairs that are arranged in a line on stage; the back of each chair is covered with a cloth. The other chairs are turned around and the cloths removed to show they are each marked with an "O." The spectator's chair is turned around. The cloth is removed to show it is the only one marked with an "X." Finally, the spectator shows the card to the audience; it is also marked with an "X."

December 1998 pg. 361- "Bank Nite Revisited" by Todd Robbins:
A borrowed $20 bill is placed into a pay envelope. Newspapers cut to the size of a bill are placed in matching envelopes. A spectator mixes the envelopes and decides which one to keep; the others are burned. Upon opening the envelope, the spectator finds not his $20 but a piece of newspaper. To make up for the error, the magician visually changes the newspaper into a $20 bill for the spectator to keep.

These are a few of my favorite finds so far. No doubt some of them have been republished in books since their initial appearance in Genii, but seeing them in their original form is kind of neat. At any rate, I hope to add to this list soon. If you subscribe to the archives, please post your own favorite finds.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I am thinking about subscribing to the archives. I can guess from your post that they are worth the money, but what is the format and layout like? It sounds rather awkward only being able to download one page at a time.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
It's a little awkward, but it's not like downloading a file each time you want to see a page. It's just like navigating any other webpage: you have to wait for each page to load (about 5-10 seconds). Then, if you want to save it to your hard drive, you have to save it which only takes as long as it takes to save a word document. It's not perfect, but I've not had any issues with the system. Let me know if you have any other questions. I too was a bit leary of paying the price without seeing the product, but I decided to take the plunge. So far, I'm glad that I did.

Caleb

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
I ve did too and I can say that is good thing Smile
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
I just got access to the archives, looks awesome, though I have no idea where to start!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Start with the routines I posted if they seem to interest you. Also, please post your own favorites when you get a chance.

Caleb

Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 12:31, Kimura wrote:
I just got access to the archives, looks awesome, though I have no idea where to start!

Start from Vol.1, No.1.
Look thorough all issues, otherwise you will miss great things.

Hideo Kato
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Being interested in memory effects, I've already posted my favorites of those in my MemoryEffects.PDF file. However, there are a few of my favorites that aren't listed in there:

Color Out of Space (February 1989, 491-492, Kaziyuki Hase) - A spectator is handed four large envelopes, each with a different ESP symbol on the front. The magician turns their back (and can be legitimately blindfolded), and tells the spectator to choose any one of the envelopes. The spectator is then asked to open the envelope, remove the pen and notepad from inside, and draw their chosen symbol. The paper is then folded up and placed in a pocket. The notepad and pen are replaced into the envelope, and all four envelopes are hidden away from the magician's view, so that no clues are given as to which one was chosen. Despite the fairness of the conditions, the magician is able to name the chosen symbol without any questions!! (This is a great effect, very clean and ingenious. It's also a rare effect that will stump mentalists, magicians AND regular audience members all at the same time.)

Hummeracle! (March 1990, 584-588, Max Abrams) - A well thought-out routine for Hummer's classic 3-card divination.

Hummer Long A' Max (June 1990, 819-820, Stephen Tucker) - Stephen Tucker's touches for Hummeracle.

BTW, check out December 1990, page 117, and April 1991, page 387, for my contributions to Genii!
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Thanks, Scott. I'll make sure and check those out.

Caleb

Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
171 Posts

Profile of Tyler
Looking for Bob Farmer article on Bruce/Garret False shuffle. Do you know what volume it is in? Thanks.

Mike
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
171 Posts

Profile of Tyler
December, 2004 found it I think so nevermind. (Dang I'm quick)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27253 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Charlie the Tuna
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore Maryland
111 Posts

Profile of Charlie the Tuna
The Genii Archieves are a treasure trove. Access is pricey but not unreasonable
Charlie
Charlie,
A Magician with Good Taste.

Only perform an illusion once. The first time is magical, the second is an education.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1521 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I was under the impression that Blaine did Chad Long's take on Torn and Restored Transpo which is called "Torn and Kinda Restored."
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
He didn't do the one I have by Chad Long, but he also didn't perform the routine exactly the way David Williamson performs it. For instance, he didn't iron out the creases in the card. Also, he substituted a Shapeshifter change for Williamson's Top change.

The version I have by Chad Long from his lecture notes uses three selections. The first one is found and ripped up. The torn pieces become the second selection. Finally, the card is restored into the third selection.

Caleb

Amade3us
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
139 Posts

Profile of Amade3us
Hmm...I jut tried to register for the archives, and after I previewed my information, I was sent to 404 File Not Found message. I suppose I should email Genii directly, but figured I'd see if anyone here got the same error.

-Dustin
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2506 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
If anyone is having trouble accessing the Genii Archive, please contact me at moobooks@ix.netcom.com or call the Genii office at 301-652-5800. We try to fix any problems (which are infrequent) as soon as possible.
Considering that a full file of Genii in its original hard copy state costs about $2500, I think the $200 for access for the lifetime of the database, or $65 for a year, is pretty fair. Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
So Far I am not Disappointed at all. I have accumulated all 200 of Paul Osbone's Illusions. I hope Gennii allows me to send them my work so they can add that research to thier collection file. (I already have Pauls Black book which has 113 plans.) Right now I have 113 to 200 with the exception of year of Vol 55 which is 12 plans.

These plans are not all perfect because some are to light to copy digitally, however, this research has the beauty of understanding illusions. There is no way I would build them all. Some are just amazingly beautifully well thought out. Some concepts I never considered have been worth the research.

I am hoping Genii allows me to send them so others do not have to spend hours finding them. Also it is worth the $45 dollars just to have these plans.

Thanks
Dennis.
Dennis Michael
GALIER
View Profile
New user
Spain
37 Posts

Profile of GALIER
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 14:00, Scott Cram wrote:
Being interested in memory effects, I've already posted my favorites of those in my MemoryEffects.PDF file. However, there are a few of my favorites that aren't listed in there:

Color Out of Space (February 1989, 491-492, Kaziyuki Hase) - A spectator is handed four large envelopes, each with a different ESP symbol on the front. The magician turns their back (and can be legitimately blindfolded), and tells the spectator to choose any one of the envelopes. The spectator is then asked to open the envelope, remove the pen and notepad from inside, and draw their chosen symbol. The paper is then folded up and placed in a pocket. The notepad and pen are replaced into the envelope, and all four envelopes are hidden away from the magician's view, so that no clues are given as to which one was chosen. Despite the fairness of the conditions, the magician is able to name the chosen symbol without any questions!! (This is a great effect, very clean and ingenious. It's also a rare effect that will stump mentalists, magicians AND regular audience members all at the same time.)

Hummeracle! (March 1990, 584-588, Max Abrams) - A well thought-out routine for Hummer's classic 3-card divination.

Hummer Long A' Max (June 1990, 819-820, Stephen Tucker) - Stephen Tucker's touches for Hummeracle.

BTW, check out December 1990, page 117, and April 1991, page 387, for my contributions to Genii!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » GENII - The Conjurors' Magazine » » Genii online archives (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL