The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Average charge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Hi all, I am just starting to get into the whole restaurant performance, and I was wondering what the average price a table hopper would charge per hour.
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
It depends on your athletic skill and if you can make large hops. Once when I was starting out I tried a really long hop from a booth to a table. When I landed on top of the table it moved out from under me and I fell real hard. I was out of table hoping for almost 2 months. Train real hard and don't forget to stretch out your leg muscles before you beging hopping. For more detailed info pick up Petter Cottontails book title "The Bunny Trail".

DO A SEARCH ON THIS SUBJECT YOU WILL FIND MUCH INFO.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Chris,
As you may have figured out by now, the $$ question is almost totally tabu here. I'm afraid that if you actually do a search you will find more people griping about the question and posting useless drivel than helpful info. There are a few nuggets out there, though I am perplexed as to how one would know exactly what to search for to find this link unless one had stumbled across it already. I just happened to come across a reference to Jamie's post in another thread, or I would never have found it.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=5

Best,
Jim
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I don't like the word "Table Hopper". It sounds really unprofessional.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Jim if you read on ANY subject here you find mostly useless drivel. The reason it is more obvious with pay and pay scale, is that it is tough to "armchair" it.

IF your not out there actually with your nose in it, well there is no way to fake it.

As for the actual question the reason I personally won't give an answer is the question leaves out LOTS of information necessary to form an intelligent answer.

For example the taking of tips, and if they are large or small, the time, number of nights, how much work is booked from the job, how many nights, how are you treated, what is the flexability to do shows, and on and on.

Guys who throw out prices and never consider the "big picture" are simply not out there doing it regularly.

For example if you can find a gig that will give you 12 paying shows a month, for a grand each, is what you get from the restaurant really relevant?

IF you can make a bartenders salary, about 2 bucks an hour, and make $500 a night in tips in 2 1/2 hours, is it something you turn down?

These are VERY real examples of venues you can run into. NOBODY can give you a blanket formula. There are guidelines, but it is why I personally avoid the money issue.

That along with the theory that if you have to ask, you may not be ready for the answer.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Since no one has answered your question and they usually come up with lame reasons why they don't..."Guys who throw out prices and never consider the "big picture" are simply not out there doing it regularly. "... I'll actuually answer it.

Illusions Retsaurant in Carmel, IN was around for 14 years. A ton of names have worked there...Mike Close, Cris Kenner, Homer Liwag, Daryl, Steve Hart, etc. The hourly rate was quite low, $10/hour. They tips were typically on the high end and if you did one of the Lounge Stage Shows, you were paid for that on top of your hourly pay. On a good night you might have 6-10 tables. You would see tips ranging from $10 on the very low end, to $25 average, to $50-100 for the very high.

My Mother-in-law has an entertainment company in Indianapolis..she books all different kinds of entertainment. She has also had long running contracts with restaurants. They typically were $75-125/night. The hours were around 2-4 hours. Some of these were magic only or magic and balloons.

Yes, one needs to look at what other money could they be making on a Tuesday night. They need to look at long term consistant pay versus erasing that night from their calender each week.

IF YOU "can find a gig that will give you 12 paying shows a month, for a grand each,"....and you want to make more money...then YES "what you get from the restaurant really IS relevant. At the end of the day it all adds up. Each person has to decide this for themselves. Not to mention...it is probably unlikely that the person asking this restaurant question is bringing in 12 shows monthly for $1,000 each...just an observation.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
Quote:
On 2007-02-10 12:20, Living Illusions wrote:

IF YOU "can find a gig that will give you 12 paying shows a month, for a grand each,"....and you want to make more money...then YES "what you get from the restaurant really IS relevant.

Kevin

Kevin,

I do not have a ton of experiance, as I just started working at a restaurant in December, but I have to seriously disagree with you on this one. If you are working as a rest. and get 12 bookings, each paying roughly $1,000 each, then what the rest. gives you does NOT matter. Obviously, they are giving you publicity, and to high class people as well. Making $12,000 a month is pretty *** good in my opinion.

It is very hard to make a living on restaurant magic though. MAny magicians perform at a restaurant to hone their skills and get the private gigs. that's where the real money comes from.

Thanks and Good Luck!
Steven
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I have earned $100 per hour in some restaurants, $50 an hour in others, and $75 an hour in others. It really depends on what you can negotiate with the mananger/owner.

Jay Sankey, on his restaurant dvd, says one should try for $100 minimum. I have a friend who earns about $150 per hour for a three hour night.

Brian
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
What restaurant dvd is this? I have the REAL WORK ON RESTAURANTS AND BARS and I don't believe he says that. He says the minimum someone should charge is $20.

Thanks,
Steve
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1830 Posts

Magic_Steve...
I am under the impression DannyDoyle was not refering to restaurants when he mentioned the 12 $1,000 paying gigs. It was other gigs...and if you had those...why worry about restaurant work at all.

Kevin

P.S. Indeed it is hard to make a living from restaurant work. The guys I know that do..work 6 nights a week...and still do birthday parties, copr work on the side to make it all add up.
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
I thiknk Danny was refering to working in a restaurant, and because of that, that's how you get the private gigs.

Thanks!
Steve
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2043 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2007-02-10 12:51, Magic_Steve wrote:
I thiknk Danny was refering to working in a restaurant, and because of that, that's how you get the private gigs.

No, Danny was refering to the fact that if you had 12 private gigs a month at $1000 a piece, then what you get in a restaurant job in addition to these private gigs probably doesn't mean much to you. It's what Living Illusions said.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
1830 Posts

Rereading the post I can see how it would read that one is getting the 12 gigs from being at the restaurant. Thus the Tuesday night restaurant gig is an investment of time and well done indeed if that is the outcome. For most, working a gig at Fuddruckers, its not gonna be.

However...one must get the retsaurant gig first. If you go in with too high of a number demanding $500/hr...you probably are not going to get the gig. You can also coe in too low. Price is also not the main thing IF you can sell the restaurant on what you are providing them.

Kevin
Living Illusions

Kevin Ridgeway &

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
Quote:
On 2007-02-10 12:33, Magic_Steve wrote:
What restaurant dvd is this? I have the REAL WORK ON RESTAURANTS AND BARS and I don't believe he says that. He says the minimum someone should charge is $20.

Thanks,
Steve

Hmmm, pretty sure he said $100, but it's been awhile since I've watched the dvd. I'm not going to re-watch it just to find the answer, so I'll just accept that perhaps I was mistaken. Smile

Brian
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You will make more in some markets and types of restaurants then others. Boston, NYC, LA, SF, Chicago more, Commerce Oklahoma less. There are many variables and also the question of outside work comes into the picture. Some places will result in more than others, some times much more than others. So if Danny mentions $1000 gigs remember he lives in one of the major markets. I live in a non-market now (formerly, until a couple months ago, I was in a top four market) and I certainly know I will not be making what I made before.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20394 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Let Danny clear up what he meant exactly.

The numbers are NOT important or an actual factual example. They were an illustration kind of exaggerated to make a point. SOrry for the confussion. I meant that the variables make the rate. It is indeed tough to do magic in SOME places and make a good living. I also mention I live in and alwas have lived in major markets. Just where I am.

I should mention that in the right place you can indeed make lots of money in restaurants, even barring outside work.

BUT lets not get stuck on 12 shows a month from the place. It was simply an example, exaggerated to make the point. I am sorry for the confussion.

THE point, attempted to be made was indeed this. IF you book lots of shows from the exposure, then what you make from the establishment may not be the important point. Think "landscape".

Again sorry for the confussion.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Baggins
View Profile
Regular user
london
148 Posts

Profile of Baggins
In London the price is £100 but you can get a magicbunny for less.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
So London only has one price? That's odd. That's like saying in LA we make $150 a night. It's going to vary per performer and per restaurant.
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
174 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
Yes you can make money in restaurant and with the side gigs you get out of it you can quit your day job.....
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
chris mayhew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto ON, Canada
179 Posts

Profile of chris mayhew
Thank you very much for your help Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Average charge (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL