The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Coin through Rubber Sheet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
121 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings,
I did several searches within the Magic Café and could not find the answer to this question but if there is a discussion thread somewhere about this, please let me know.
Where can I buy the rubber sheets for the coin through the rubber sheet routine?...the one where the coin is sitting on top of a sheet of rubber over the mouth of a glass and with one push, the coin penetrates the rubber sheet into the glass.
I'm open to suggestions with magic dealers as well as other sources (medical supplies).
Many thanks!
Bob L.
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
It's called dental dam.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Speaking of which, I recently tried to purchase alginate from a dental supply house locally. I have done this many times in the past with a company that no longer exists here. I was told by several other local companies that they cannot sell this to anyone who is not a dentist. What's up with that?? Are they just as crappy about dental dam now?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you were a terrorist who was up to no good with it, you'd have no trouble getting it. Try telling them you're a dentist and see what happens.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
121 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Dental Dam...thanks! I'm stoppy by my dentist's office tomorrow for starters. I appreciate everyone's help.
Bob L.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There are plenty of alternatives to the alginate issue. I just won't giving my money to a local supplier, I guess.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-02-10 14:08, Michael Baker wrote:
Speaking of which, I recently tried to purchase alginate from a dental supply house locally. I have done this many times in the past with a company that no longer exists here. I was told by several other local companies that they cannot sell this to anyone who is not a dentist. What's up with that?? Are they just as crappy about dental dam now?

I suspect you were dealing with an idiot. "After all, we are a dental supply house, so we can only sell stuff to dentists!"
I doubt that it's any kind of company policy.
Anyway here's a link you may find useful.
http://www.artmolds.com/category26.cfm

Don
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks Don!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Amazingly enough, it is a legal/liability issue with dental suppliers. A friend of mine is in the costume business. His company makes the "Tooth Fairy" teeth. The company that makes the "Billy Bob" teeth decided to call the law on him, because he was using dental grade acrylic to make his teeth. According to their lawyers, this meant that he was making prosthetics without a license.

The dental supplier they bought the acrylic from decided not to sell it to non-dentists any more.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What are Billy Bob teeth made from??

There are ways around it. Michael's sells a temporary molding compound that I haven't used, but everything I read on the can indicates that it has to be alginate. It is also available from some theatrical supply houses.
Years ago, our local club had an orthodonist as a member (now deceased). He loved to use his real career skills and tools to create magic stuff. He made a face cast of me that I kept and worked from for many years, until it finally got too damaged to use anymore.

It may still be possible to get a dental supply house to sell it, if you can get to a salesman, and convince them you aren't a goth vampire wannabe. I just dead-ended with a P.I.A. secretary/phone receptionist, and didn't press it.

The pain is that I have used barrels of this stuff in the past, and while some of the things I have made could be considered prosthetics, they have zero use outside of theatrical applications (mostly magic).

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Most theatrical supply houses I've gotten catalogs from still list some form of alginate. Try one of these links I keep in my favorites folder-

http://members.tripod.com/labyrnth/anima......ies.html
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
...and now in my favorites folder! Thanks much, Dave!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17276 Posts

Profile of joseph
Or you can just buy the effect for about $4.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I have used pieces cut from the bald head wigs sold at the local costume shop.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Dave Dorsett
View Profile
Veteran user
Macomb, Illinois
345 Posts

Profile of Dave Dorsett
Having the same hair stylist you do, manal, I have to ask... what the heck do you need bald caps for?!;)
Dave Dorsett
Douglas~Wayne Illusioneering
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I thought it would be funny to pull off the bald wig to reveal the bald head.I haven't tried it yet but hope to at the next performance at the rest home I work in.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Socalesq
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Socalesq
Klutz publishing sells it.
icuryy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Billy Bob teeth are made from regular casting acrylic. The difference between regular acrylic and dental grade acrylic is that the supply house has supplied a sample of each lot to some "dental grading board of directors in the sky," and they can put USP grade on it or some other nonsense like that.

Maybe they are allowed fewer rat droppings per pound or something. Chemically, you can't tell one from the other. It was one of those silly business competition lawsuits.

Regarding purchasing dental dam from dealers -- if you do this trick as part of your regular repertoire, there is no sense in overspending for it. If you go through a sheet a week, why should you pay over $200 a year for that set of supplies?

There are many on-line suppliers for dental dam. Just google it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I want to know if the company that made the fairy teeth managed to finally screw over the "Billy Bob" lawyers. I swear that there are too many lawyers with too much time on their hands and can't find anything better to do.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24298 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know how that shook out in the end. Both companies are still producing teeth. I'll have to ask my friend who makes the teeth what the final verdict was.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Coin through Rubber Sheet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL