The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Unexpected (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Product: Unexpexted DVD

By: Marc Spelmann and Peter Nardi

To start id just like to say that I am a beginner at Mentalism as a whole, so am not familiar with many of the methods/techniques etc, but found this DVD to be full of some very good, usable material. I will go over each of the effects and then go on to the quality of teaching, and of the DVD itself.
I wanted to begin though by saying that I love this double DVD set and I am very happy with my purchase.

Right, on with the effects (descriptions taken from back of DVD case):

Effects that have a * after them mean I have performed them, and will have details about what happened. Ones I have not performed will contain what I feel about them from the performance/tutorial on the DVD.

Fist Full Of Dollars*-

An incredible opener for any impromptu situation. Give your spectator a chance to win some cold hard cash. All they have to do is guess which hand holds the money! As a kicker you prove to them you knew they would choose the wrong hand from the start.

My opinion:

I really like this little effect, its quick and to the point and as a kicker you prove to them that not only did they choose wrong, but you knew exactly which hand they would pick. Basically what happens is you hide a note in one of your hands and get the spec to try and guess which hand is holding the note. This is def something I will be using.

How it went down:

I pulled this out last night while my mum and some of her friends were having a girls night in. I heard a point in there conversation about how they are in complete control of there actions etc and so I took this chance to go and do some stuff from this DVD set. I said I begged to differ, and it all went from there.
I actually done this as the first thing as a quick little test. Obviously they guessed wrong and so did everyone else as I went from person to person (I only used the kicker on the last person). To say they had fun would be an understatement, they were having a blast, and I didn't need to offer up some more as they requested it themselves so I took the chance to try out the stuff id been practising.
Overall I am very happy with this effect, and it went down very well so for me its a hit.

Drinks On The Patio*:

A great performance piece to do when you're in a bar. A lovely lady is requested to help out and as a thank you, you will buy her a drink. The drink she gets depends on how well she does in the little test.

My opinion:

This is a good effect which is very simple, but also very effective (and a laugh). Basically you place face down eight or so business cards (or whatever comes to hand), each with a different drink written on it (this can obviously be changed to whatever you want, or whatever is natural for where you are such as amounts of money, prizes, food etc). The cards are then eliminated one by one until only one card remains, this being what the spec recieves. Its turned over to reveal water.
This routine is very adaptable and I like it.

How it went down:

This went down very well, I new it was good but did not expect it to be as well recieved as it was. I did not use drinks on the back, but amounts of money, and they ended up with a penny which they found funny. This effect is so easy to perform, but it really does play well and was something which got everyone involved.
This is another hit.

Take note*:

Your spectator takes part in a little game of chance. 3 notes of different values are placed on the table. You write a prediction on a business card which remains on full view through out. Now using your powers of persuasion you manage to influence their choice of note!

My opinion:

Ok I love this, this is really really good. You lay down in a line 3 different notes (£20, £10, £5) and then write a prediction on a business card (or whatever comes to hand) and leave it in full view. You now state that using your powers of persuasion you will get them to pick the note of your choosing. If your wrong then they get to keep the amount they picked, or all three notes if you wish. I your right then they get nothing. You then proceed to do exactly as you said.
This is something I will absolutely be using.

How it went down:

This was very effective, and actually caused some silence along with the laughter.
This is def another hit.

Perfect ESP*:

A quick and simple ESP match up routine. Even though your spectator mixes the cards. You always place your card down first and you can even do this facing away from your spectator! No- one a head, marked cards or extra cards involved!

My opinion:

I love this also, it is extremely effective and is one of the most powerful routines on the set. Also it doesn't have to be done with ESP symbols, it could also be done with playing cards, names or whatever else takes your fancy. The spec shuffles there pack, then your pack, the spec then picks up there first card and looks at it, you now place a card down and they place theres on top/next to yours. This is repeated for all 5 cards and at the end it is revealed that they all match.

How it went down:

Ok, this actually caused gasps and silence. Honesty it was that strong and it really hit them hard. The handlings so clean and the effect so to the point that there really is nowhere for the specs mind to go but BLAH!
This is 100% a hit and is something which will get a lot of use.

Single Handed Geller*:

Spelmann's ultra slick one handed coin bend. This is something that you will carry with you always! A very deceptive technique that Geller would have been proud to perform!

My opinion:

This is another really effective effect, and one that plays very strong.
I have never really tried any coin bending effects (other than Superman coin bend, which I thought was not very good), but this is one I like very much.
The spec gets to feel involved and be a part of the effect rather than just watching, and I feel this enchances the power and overall performance of the effect.

How it went down:

Ok, this was definitely powerful, and something which actually caused swearing etc. I really put my effort into performing this well and from the reactions I feel I was successful.
This is another definite hit.

Underhand Thoughts*:

An unbelievable impromptu drawing duplication that will get you out of trouble! Being shown here for the very first time, easily worth the price of this entire DVD!

My opinion:

This is truly a fantastic addition, and is so well thought out and routined. This was one of the effects I was most looking forward to, and I was not disappointed.
I absolutely love this and it allows you to perform such an amazingly powerful effect basically impromptu (you obviously need something to write with and some business cards etc).

How it went down:

Ok, this is the type of routine which will fry the spec, and will definitely be remembered. The person I done the drawing dupe with was shocked to say the least, and this is the effect that they are still talking about. She drew a pic of her bedroom thinking theres no way I could possibly know that (especially since this was the first time she'd ever seen me). This made the reveal even more powerful, and allowed a lot of patter in between as I was saying what certain impressions I was getting meant about her personality etc.
This is a hit.

A Tribute To Mr Kane*:

This is an impromptu version of Kane's variant. A great gambling effect using only 5 business cards and some money. Spelmann floored everyone with this at The Magic Circle!

My opinion:

Another really good effect. Its so deceptive and simple that it just seems so fair. Its a prediction effect where the spec has only a 1 in 5 chance of loosing, with 4 cards being the winning cards. It such a direct effect that is easy and fun to perform.

How it went down:

This was fun to perform and caused quite a bit of laughter and surprise. I put a tenner up for grabs and it was a nicely paced fun routine.
This is another hit.

Feel*:

A spectator holds an imaginery object in their cupped hands. You now concentrate and tell them exactly what they are holding! This is a killer impromptu effect that you will be performing in your paid shows!

My opinion:

Ok, this was another one of the effects that I was really looking forward to, and at first it was not what I thought it would be (a no prop divination of a freely thought of item held cupped in the specs hands). But after a brief moment of "oh" I quickly began to see the potential and impact of this. I was still a bit unsure of it, probably because I was expecting something different, but this made me really want to try it out to see how effective it really is.

How it went down:

Ok, this turned out to be a highly effective and entertaining effect. I now feel very pleased with the effect, as it seems the worries I had with this were all just in my head as the specs seemed very impressed, in fact blown away. They were all asking me to do it to them, which I did, and it ended up being one of there favourites.
So this is another hit.

Serial Killer Lite*:

Your spectator removes a bill from their wallet and folds it up, they then place it under an upturned wine glass. You then call off the serial number. This is a classic mentalism feat that everyone should do!

My opinion:

When I watched the performance to this I was surprised right from the off as the spec actually removes and folds up there bill, and places it themselves under the glass. Its definitely very clever and is a fantastic effect.

How it went down:

This was another effect that got great reactions, and lucky for me one of the people had a job which involves handling/dealing with money and so had a good idea of how impossible this really was. Infact she made the effect even stronger by going on about the chances of guessing and the impossibility of it all. This hit the spec who worked with money especially hard, which was great.
Def another hit.

Three for the money:

A three phase performance piece. Each phase gets increasingly more difficult, yet you prove your power with 3 correct predictions! Which coin they will choose, the amount of change they have and finally the serial number on a borrowed bill.

My opinion:

This is definitely a very strong routine which, from the performance and instructions on the DVD, will absolutely floor everyone. I mean you start off simple by predicting which coin out of 3 they will pick. Next you predict how much change they have on them and finall the serial number from a borrowed bill.

Busch Brain Buster:

No DVD on mentalism would be complete without a book, magazine or newspaper test. This superb 2 phased routine has been used by Spelmann and Nardi even in their paid performances, utilising a fantastic subtlety from Richard Busch. Reveal a freely chosen word from any newspaper, book or magazine & describe an item your spectator has locked in their mind!

My opinion:

This is another very well thought out and routined effect. I have not done this to anyone as of yet, but can tell that this will be an extremely powerful routine which will, if performed with confidence and conviction, get amazing results.

Two's Company:

A discussion on utilising a friend, partner or family member to code you simple information. In this discussion Marc and Peter cover some strong routines that can be performed at a moments notice as well as teaching the correct ways to code which are both subtle and effective.

My opinion:

I have never really thought about this type of thing and won't be adding much of this stuff to any routine, but I found it interesting and informative, and will get some use from it.

Effects overall:

As you can tell I'm extremely happy with every effect. Every single one of the effects is effective and powerful and its all real world stuff. Like I said at the very beginning, I'm pretty new to Mentalism, and some of the things people may be familiar with, but I found each effect to be well thought out and effective and all real world and highly usable.

Teaching:

I love the teaching on this DVD set. First they perform the effect for you, then go over it in great detail. Honestly nothing is left out, and I felt satisfied that I had learned all that could be taught for each effect. Also you can tell that Marc and Peter are good friends as there is a nice atmosphere to the DVD and its fun to watch and learn from.

DVD quality:

The DVD set is of great quality, with everything crisp and clear. The menus are easy to navigate and its all nicely laid out and produced.

Overall:

This is an amazing set that I am extremely happy with. I feel ive learned a lot from this, and also from seeing Marc and Peter perform, and the tips they give. I love all the effects and feel that you get a lot for your money, and ive taken away from this a load of highly effective routines and a greater understanding of how to perform and a toolkit of impromptu weapons for that unexpected performance.

Thank you.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
This is a perfect review I guess..
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
I guess for a perfect dvd?
!!!!
t great peter, well done again, and to russ for such good production!
as marc says at the end, it wont replace your whole act, but if you can get 3-4 effects from this, and have them ready to go when the unexpected calls, you can't lose!
they are all top effects
my favorite being
feel, single handed geller, and Three for the money, although I'll probably adjust it slightly, and use a doubled headed coin instead of the bill used as described on the dvd
if you've got it, you'll know what I mean
a op quality dvd, packed with top quality effect
thanks to all the alakazam team.....
any news on the ice coins release date peter, for those who have pre ordered?
thanks again
matt
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
So what did you think of the DVD? Smile
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I just got this dvd today. What a great set. There are some real nice routines on theses discs. Perfect ESP and Feel will be going into the arsenal along with a couple others. I really enjoyed Marc and Peters comedic explanations, Keep up the good work guys
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Thanks for the great reviews guys, It's so cool to know people are using our routines!

Peter
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
What other items from inner minds do you have in store for us peter?
also, any more james brown goods on the way?
cheers mate
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Matt

We have some great new effects and DVD's coming from Innerminds soon.

James is planning a second DVD to be realeased later this year. Alakazam also a DVD of the last session convention (featuring some top names) and a DVD by Chritopher Williams!

Regards

Peter
PS. There is a very special DVD set in production at the moment that is going to blow people away.
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
Quote:
On 2007-02-19 15:21, Peter Nardi wrote:
PS. There is a very special DVD set in production at the moment that is going to blow people away.

Why? Are you providings a wind machine with the dvd set?
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
No just a very small but powerful fan!
juan king
View Profile
Regular user
Spanish
171 Posts

Profile of juan king
Peter, I am your biggest fan!!!
Think not what magic can do for you, but what you can do for magic.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Thanks peter,
I just saw david taylor in magicseen!
didn't realize it was my old friend from http://www.sussexmagiccircle.co.uk/
last I saw of him was when he passed the audition last year in blackpool and ran off to spain!
I've just emailed him....
even more, your flogging his trick!
(is it different to the marc paul anytime book test?)
I'm glad things are going well for dave anyway...
and thanks for the heads up on your products mate
I've got 10 bent (SHG) 10ps ready for saturday night!
cheers
matt

http://www.mattwainwright.com
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
That is a fantastic review. I like the addition of your own performance experience. Thanks a lot.

Andy
Cards never lie
Marc Woods
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
147 Posts

Profile of Marc Woods
I also my copy of this set!
I'm really glad I pre-ordered it.

Most of the effects are superb for doing an impromptu set of mental effects anywhere and mostly anytime.
I think it was much better than Marc's first dvd set...sorry Marc but also a compliment for this dvd.
The material is much more suitable for people that like, quick and direct effects.

Marc and Peter...well done I am looking forward for new releases of you guys.
MiNDHACKER / goochelaar
https://www.marcwoods.nl
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Mr. Nardi and Mr. Spelmann seem like really nice guys so I'm sorry I have this opinion. But this is just really bad... I already knew a lot of effects, and some of the others seemed slopily put together.

For example, the drawing duplication. That would be a method I would come up with after a small amount of thought if I were trying to think of an impromptu drawing duplication, but then drop it because it wasn't very good.

The only effect I liked was the ESP match, but honestly I didn't get one thing out of these DVDs.

Fist Full of Dollars
An ok effect, requires something I don’t wear in non performing situations.

Drinks on the Patio
Ok effect, already knew it as I'm sure most non-beginners do.

Take Note
Method is very transparent IMO, like a bad blending of Positive Negative (great effect) and Hypnotic Choice.

Perfect ESP
This one is pretty cool, nothing ground breaking but pretty cool.

Single Handed Geller
Just another handling for an effect everyone knows. Don't really care for the handling myself.

Underhanded Thoughts
Ehhh... Awkward and a lot of work to do it. I can think of at least three other impromptu drawing duplications that are much better.

A Tribute to Mr. Kane
This one is decent, but a bit too much set-up and a "mental magic" feel to it for me to use.

Feel
It's ok, a lot of set-up though.

Serial Killer Lite
I'm sure everyone knows how to do this already.

Three for the Money.
Basically Mental Epic.

Busch Brain Buster.
It's ok, the force for one part is pretty cool, the whole routine seems to be in need of a bit of fine tuning though.

Hardly any of the effects are what I would call impromptu, needing set-up time or carrying something. Most of them have a very mental magic feel to them, and are illogical. And I see hardly any originality.

This would be a good DvD for beginners but I doubt the experienced will learn anything new. This would be getting a positive review if it came from a $10 dollar beginners book but I paid $75 for a DvD I thought was for professionals. Again, I'm sorry I have this opinion.

Over All I rate it a 2/10.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Nothing Original???

Tribute to Mr Kane is previously unreleased
Perfect ESP Unreleased
Underhanded Thoughts Unreleased
Busch Brain Buster Unreleased

Variations with worthwhile adaptions

Drinks on the PATEO (the best handling of the PATEO I have ever seen along with a VERY logical ending which totally eliminates the one thing that bugged me personally about the PATEO.

Fistfull Of Dollars
A variant on a now classic plot which is an ideal opener, it's not even necessary to wear a jacket, I don't either but have done this numerous times as an opener.

Single Handed Geller
Not impromptu but still an excellent handling with an alternate s---ch, saying it is not relevant is like saying a new coin vanish is not relevant?

3 For The Money
A strong 3 phase piece that I have done with great success, the predictions LOGICALLY get harder and harder ending with a very clean finale.

Serial Killer light
Sure everyone who does mentalism will know it but few actually do it, this is as pure a mentalim effect as it gets, the timing carefully explained with good handling that would fry (and has done) any lay audience..

My genuine rating on this DVD 7/10 and trust me I am hard to please.
I think ultimately is depends on what we want from a dvd, do we want presentation, scripting, atmosphere, special effects, costume suggestions, make up tips or do we want solid routines that we can then put our personalities on to make it unique..

No offense here Night Bringer but do you actually perform mentalism? or are you new to it?

From you post it would seem as though you want an a DVD that says:

Effect: Walk up to any spectator and tell them the name of their dead pet, the year it died, the previous owner of their car, their insurance number, credit card number & expected time of death..

Method: Read their minds and predict the future with nothing more than thin air and long blond hair..

I purchased the Osterlind DVDs which are great but I knew 70% of the material as it was released in manuscripts years before, just because we know something doesn't make it invalid or useless, I know PK Time by Banachek but if he released a DVD on it I would buy it as I may pick up some useful tips and handlings and I'm not even a full time pro..

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your review, I know you can be hard to please!

TheNightBringer89

Thank you for voicing your opinion.
Marc and Myself never stated real mind reading or ground breaking methods! The Unexpected does exactly what is says on the tin and that is a collection of impromptu mentalism. And in my opinion a very good collection. I have been performing mentalism for well over 10 years and have used the material on these discs often.

As to you already knowing the all the methods, maybe I should PM you before our next release to check the methods are new to you:-)

Peter
Andrew Richmond
View Profile
Loyal user
Birmingham - UK
252 Posts

Profile of Andrew Richmond
Peter I don't know where that comes from, I don't think for a minute I am hard to please, if I enjoy something I'll say so, if I dislike something I'll say so..

I thought that's what this forum was all about..

I do like the Unexpected but trust me I could name a few Alakazam products that I thought were so so and some that I really didn't like..

But then again I couldn't name a single performer or shop that has released all winners in my book.. It's all subjective, what I like and do not like will differ to others much like Nightbringer who maybe comes from a different a different place when it comes to mentalism..

I hate ballet, I just do not get it however I cannot say that what they do is not skillful, artistic to some and evokes some kind of emotion..

Some of Nightbringers statements just don't ring true, he may not like the effects but some are totally original and that is a fact not an artistic point of view..

I enjoyed the DVD for what it is, a DVD focusing on that situation where you have little to perform with and it does that very nicely..

Some will not get it, others will and we will benefit from the knowledge you shared with us..

NOW WHERE'S MY FREE STUFF...

A.R.
"Take a card any card!"
"Why?"
"So I can find it."
"Why?"
TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
No I definately am not new. And I do not want a "Holy grail". The impromptu effects I currently perform and am VERY happy with are:

Kurotsuke
Predict-Tac-Toe
PCT
AAA Booktest

and more.

Please don't bash me for having a difference of opinion. I like more direct effects, take the two book tests for example. In Busch Brain Buster you have them pick a word in a book, then write random words on ten slips of paper, eliminate them one by one, have them hold on to one slip. You then incorrectly predict the word on the paper, you then correct yourself and get it right, then you finally get the word in the book.

In contrast, in the book test I use, you have someone selecet a word, you then reveal it. VERY direct.

Let me have my own opinion without bashing me. Why can't we keep this friendly?

P.S.
I would have liked Fist Full if you could do it without sleeves, you have a method for that?
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Unexpected (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL