The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » A couple of great comedy magic routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I've always used a lot of comedy in my act. Recently I've started using Rich Marotta's MUGGED to open some of my shows. And I just got THE VANISHING BANDANA routine.

What struck me about both of these is that they're both great ideas that are easy to do and let the performer concentrate on PRESENTATION!

Just wondering what others thought of these routines and any other comedy routines they especially liked.

See ya!
Joe L. Smile
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I have seen Rich do the mugged routine. It is very funny, at least the way he does it.

Vanishing Bandana, which I have not used yet myself, seems to have the elements required to be funny.
quack
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I like Professor's Cheers Rope routine. I have a lot of fun with that and it always gets a great reaction.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pavlo
View Profile
Veteran user
Poland
306 Posts

Profile of Pavlo
I'm thinking to make MUGGED myself. Rich Marrota's handling and presentation is funny.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8689 Posts

Profile of harris
I am not familiar with Mugged.

Can you give me a general idea about the effect. (not method)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Here's the description of Mugged:

The performer tells the audience that he was mugged on the way to the show.
"It's okay, though. I know they'll catch him, because I gave an excellent description to the police." He then holds up a ski mask and says, "He looked like this."

The magician re-enacts the crime by taking the cash from his wallet, his wristwatch, and his finger ring and putting them in the ski mask.

"But the mugger didn't realize he was dealing with a magician, and when he got home, he didn't have anything!" The ski mask is turned inside out... it's empty.

The ring is back on the magician's finger, the watch is back on his wrist, and the cash is back in his wallet! Ta-da! Cool, huh? Smile

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
magicman2000
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicman2000
My favorite comedy opener is "Grave Mistake".
The last time I used it the MC that introduced me had just told the audience that one of their members had died the previous day. Then he introduced me and I had thoughts of dropping it from the act but went ahead anyway. It turned the mood of the audience around and got them laughing.
spatrick
View Profile
Special user
Tom Sawyer let me whitewash these
515 Posts

Profile of spatrick
I saw Rich Marotta at the Spotlight Convention in the Poconos of Pennsylvania and snapped up "Mugged" in a heartbeat. Actually I looked up Rich's effects before I went to the convention and had to have it. Luckily he included it in his lecture.

I have used it several times and it always kills. I have adjusted some of the comedy lines in the instructions. I added a great line.

"This guy pointed a gun at me and said 'Your money or your life.'

I said, 'You mean I get a choice?'

The mugger says, 'Yeah, why?'

I said, 'At home my wife takes both!'"
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I did not know Grave Mistake, looked it up. It looks like it is a variation on Sid Loraine's Magic Manor. If you do not know it, you show a huge estate or mansion. One fold and it becomes a nice, but smaller house. Another fold and it becomes an outhouse with a half moon on the door. Very funny.

quack
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Quack,
The art work for Grave Mistake and for Magic Manor are both by the late Sid Lorraine.
But they are much, much older than that; Sid said he had been doing them for decades and they were both very old when he started using them, about 60 or 70 years ago.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3139 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Where can someone purchase some of Rich Marrota's tricks?
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Jlibby,

Both, Rich Marotta performing Mugged and Aldo Columbini with the Banana/Bandana routine are absolutely priceless!

You're right it's all to do with presentation which both of these guys do so well. I've been lucky to have seen both of them perform their routines ... couldn't pick one over the other. Great comedy! Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine of May '98, I did the banana-bandana routine. It is an old, old number and still very funny.

I recall at least two magicians doing it on the old Ed Sullivan Show on TV about 40 years ago; they did it within weeks of one another and both times brought down the house.

If anyone is interested in my column outlining the routine and handling, email me privately and I'll be happy to email it back.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I will definitely agree that the "Vanishing Bandana" is one of the funniest comedy routines ever.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I have Grave Mistake and love it! I would like to get Magic Manor, but don't know where to find it. Does anyone know where to get one, and is it available on Tyvek paper and in a large size like Grave Mistake? Thanks!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I love the vanishing bandanna trick.
It cracks me up everytime as I do it.
Smile
Daniel Faith
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Last month, the illusionist at the Magic Castle did the vanishing bandanna in front of the curtain while the stage was being changed behind him. He also did Professor's Nightmare during another stage change.

Jim

It comes with that pre-recorded CD. Like you just got this magic trick from the Acme Magic Store.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
Well, here's something that I have done. Take the bandana bra removal gag (not too sure on the real name of it) and do it on a guy. When the bra comes out say something like "that's a little more than we needed to know about you".
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
How did we go from a wonderfully funny children's routine (the Vanishing Bandana/Banana) into the Bra Trick?

Do all roads lead to the Bra Trick?

0pus
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
yes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » A couple of great comedy magic routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL