The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Germaphobes and restaurant gigs. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Has anyone ever had an issue with someone not wanting magic because of germ-transfer issues?

Let's see. You go to a table, shake hands, play with sponge balls, do some money manipulation (we all "know" how dirty money is), and then you shake hands again. Off to the next table. Throw in the occasional snotty nose child and a multiplying sponge ball routine and, well, you get the idea.

A hyper clean image will help, anyone use hand sanitizer between tables? Whether or not we believe the stuff actually works, it might help the appearance.

Heaven help us if someone does a card from mouth at the table...

Best,
Jim
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I do use hand sanitizer in between tables, because twice in the past I have caught a nasty stomach virus the morning after working a restaurant. Last time it put me out of commision for three full days - it was just lucky that I did not have a gig during those days because I could barely move let alone perform.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Have you ever noticed the cleanliness of the "spectators" hands in restaurants?
I am shocked at times when I ask someone to hold out their hand palm up. Kids as well as adults.......Yes hand sanitized is a must along with "Sort Quick" to put the moisture back in my hands.....

I have never encountered anyone not wanting to participate because of their concerns of germ transfer. I on the other hand was hesitant and in that circumstance (child with runny nose) I do effects that don't involve them handling anything. I also don't shake hands with people unless they offer theirs.

Lastly and this is a no brainer, make sure you pay attention to your own cleanliness in detail, as well as your props. If your sponge balls are starting to look the least bit dirty or worn, make sure you wash them or replace. That goes for your cards and other props as well. If you look clean, as well as the tools you use, the spectators will be more at ease. At least the ones that care about cleanliness.
DP
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Folk's like us who deal closely with the public can do one major thing that will help lessen the possibility of coming down with a cold virus or bacterial infection...get in the habit of keeping your hands away from your face!

One unconcious scratch/rub of an itchy nose or eye can transfer germs to areas where they can enter the body.

I read about this years ago,and since I have been concious of this I rarely get sick.

When you get a chance to wash your hands use the hottest water you can bear...
this will kill most of any germs present.

If you must relieve a facial itch use a clean napkin or even your watch band ..but never your hands.

Best.

Dr.[ Smile ] Rich
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I already am in the habit of scratching any itches on my face with my shoulder. Sounds weird I know.

Before I left the Army there was a pamphlet in one of the troop clinics that taught people to sneeze into the crotch of their elbow to keep down transfer of germs.

How many others use had sanitizer between tables? I wonder if there is a nice magical way to do this?
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
It seems that using it BETWEEN tables is a bit overwhelming. I use it maybe once or twice during the night, and before and after the night. A total of about 3 times a gig. If there is a really snotty kid or dirty adult, I'll make sure to use it immediately afterwards.

Steven
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I'd explain to the germ cautious person about how many hands their plates, glasses, silverware and food go through before they get it.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
LOL, yeah, but we're supposed to HELP the restaurant retain their business.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
I am not a doctor or lawyer.
There are two topics here
1) Germaphobes
2) Dirty Magicians

The first thing to know is the word germaphobes is literally a fear of germs. Many of them know that this fear is (mostly) unrealastic. However this does not stop their constant worrying. Definately DO NOT do what J Stalin recommends. This will freak out a germaphobe (sorry Joey). Instead pick routines that do not require them to pick up or hold anything. Perhaps instead of picking a card, you could have them say stop as you dribble/riffle cards off. Also do not set things down on the germaphobes table. Keep a little extra personal space between yourself and the GP. Do not breathe at them, do not do tricks with money, do not mention germs, the flu, a cold, bacteria etc. Finally (this relates to #2) be clean yourself.

As performers, we are constantly looked at (sometimes Smile ) for our image. This includes our attire (including shoes!), appearance (ie hair cut & general cleanliness), and our breath. Keep all of this in mind before you go to a performance.

Finally a few things about germs and invoulentary reflexes (sneezes, coughs, etc). First although hot HOT water will kill some germs, most can survive up to about 106 degrees F (after that protiens denaturate and almost any living thing will die) The reason washing hands is good is that the basic (opposite of acidic) nature of soaps will kill germs. Antibacterial wipes/gels are good but they are NOT antiviral. I should mention at this point that either your kitchen sink or your shower are generally more dirty than money. So you are constantly living with germs. Not touching your ears, nose, eyes, mouth (mucous mombranes) and open wounds is a great way to avoid introducing germs into your body. Hospitals (notoriously clean) use all kinds of special cleaners and antibiotic/antiviral sprays to clean their spaces (that hospital smell) however even with all of this cleaning, they are still not germ free. Once in a while they actually have to use an acid wash to "really" clean the hospital (usually ORs) As far as sneezing into your armpit (when there is not tissue), that is a common courtesy you should respect. However be careful what you wipe your eyes/nose with. Although your shoulder sounds like a good idea, make sure you know where your shoulder has been. Using your watch sounds like a horibble idea. When was the last time you washed/cleaned your watch?

In short be as clean as you can, don't touch your face, wash your hands and props and be nice to people who are afraid.

Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2007-02-11 21:54, iwillfoolu wrote:
I am not a doctor or lawyer.
There are two topics here
1) Germaphobes
2) Dirty Magicians

The first thing to know is the word germaphobes is literally a fear of germs. Many of them know that this fear is (mostly) unrealastic. However this does not stop their constant worrying. Definately DO NOT do what J Stalin recommends. This will freak out a germaphobe (sorry Joey). Instead pick routines that do not require them to pick up or hold anything. Perhaps instead of picking a card, you could have them say stop as you dribble/riffle cards off. Also do not set things down on the germaphobes table. Keep a little extra personal space between yourself and the GP. Do not breathe at them, do not do tricks with money, do not mention germs, the flu, a cold, bacteria etc. Finally (this relates to #2) be clean yourself.

As performers, we are constantly looked at (sometimes Smile ) for our image. This includes our attire (including shoes!), appearance (ie hair cut & general cleanliness), and our breath. Keep all of this in mind before you go to a performance.

Finally a few things about germs and invoulentary reflexes (sneezes, coughs, etc). First although hot HOT water will kill some germs, most can survive up to about 106 degrees F (after that protiens denaturate and almost any living thing will die) The reason washing hands is good is that the basic (opposite of acidic) nature of soaps will kill germs. Antibacterial wipes/gels are good but they are NOT antiviral. I should mention at this point that either your kitchen sink or your shower are generally more dirty than money. So you are constantly living with germs. Not touching your ears, nose, eyes, mouth (mucous mombranes) and open wounds is a great way to avoid introducing germs into your body. Hospitals (notoriously clean) use all kinds of special cleaners and antibiotic/antiviral sprays to clean their spaces (that hospital smell) however even with all of this cleaning, they are still not germ free. Once in a while they actually have to use an acid wash to "really" clean the hospital (usually ORs) As far as sneezing into your armpit (when there is not tissue), that is a common courtesy you should respect. However be careful what you wipe your eyes/nose with. Although your shoulder sounds like a good idea, make sure you know where your shoulder has been. Using your watch sounds like a horibble idea. When was the last time you washed/cleaned your watch?

In short be as clean as you can, don't touch your face, wash your hands and props and be nice to people who are afraid.

Joe

Thank-you Mr. Science..Smile All kidding aside,if you would have just posted your final sentence:..."In short be as clean as you can, don't touch your face, wash your hands and props and be nice to people who are afraid." that would have been adequate.

I have it on good authority that 'harmful' viruses and bacteria have a short lifespan..thus better to use your watchband to alleviate an itch than your recently [possibly infected fingers].
As to using hot tap water to kill most germs[it does] ...consult your doctor and repost.

Thanks for your input though,although 'sometimes' you seem to assume the role of contrarian..for contrarianism's sake.

Best.
Rich
montemagic
View Profile
Elite user
San Diego, CA
471 Posts

Profile of montemagic
I say that your immune system needs practice! The more hand sanitzer and constant washing you do the faster you will die when the next superbacteria or supervirus comes through and turns your organs to a pile of goo. (George Carlin).

Watch out for sickly people, wash your hands when you go to the bathroom, eat right, excercise, but don't over sanitize.
Aim To Amaze
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
And lots of Orange Juice. Tropicana makes the Immunity Defense type, I have one every night.

BTW, I had one person refuse to grab a sponge ball once because she thought it looked dirty, it was a yellow one which had faded in color a bit more than the others. Oh well...

~Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
The top tip here is definately not to touch your own face. Colds and flue and other infections get to us via this route more than by someone sneezing at us (though a sneeze can travel 30'). Wash your hands when you can, but that is often impractical when working. Because of modern medicine people today do not take enough preventative care and just think they can take a pill or powder to relieve anything... As we know, modern medicine is useless in the face of colds and flu. Far less people seem to sneeze or cough into a hanky these days again due to this reduction in preventative awareness. People probably think it is just qaint old fashioned good manners to use a hanky. Infact there are sound reasons.
mrsmiles
(UK)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Germaphobes and restaurant gigs. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL