The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Special Paper Tear application? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Yet me clarify what I am looking for.

The copying paper would have a inkjet picture of a wife filling up most of either a 8.5" x 11" or 8.5" x 14" sheet. The larger sheet could properly be considered to be one double size page.

I would like to tear it into several pieces and then have the picture restore.

I know that you would probably have to use a tracing tool to help with the tearing lines like you do with Neil Foster's center tear. That tear only allows you to tear basically one piece off, so is not what I am looking for.

Other methods that I know or have are as follows:

>Gene Anderson's Newspaper tear - too many pages.
>Baxt's Better Newspaper tear - must have 3 pages 1 double sheet and one single, so it does not fit the criteria.
>Laundry ticket method too small.
>Slydini Tear too many pages.
>No tear methods - not strong enough of an effect and does not meet the criteria.
>Cloutier Method heard it is not practical.

I know there are other methods using a single sheet or one double sheet out there that I know nothing about. Have never seen Joel Bauer method so I do not know if it could be adapted.

Hopes that helps for what I am looking for and the criteria that it would have to meet.

Not looking for an exact method to be posted, just sources that could work or be adapted.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
I would simply have a duplicate sheet and do a switch. It's old but good. It's easy to set up and to end clean you can ditch the pieces by you favorite method.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
John Calvert does a T&R magazine, which is actually a single sheet.

The Laundry Ticket method is closest to this in method and probably best for your needs. Just position the duplicate so you can keep a thumb on it.

Paper is generally made with a "grain" that will allow it to tear more evenly in one direction, than crossways. Use that to your advantage.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Not to complicate matters, but I think you could make the effect even stronger by tearing the paper up into strips (going with the grain, as Michael suggests), then shaking the pieces out to reveal just the outline of the white paper with the space where the person was just a cut-out hole, and something drops to the floor. Picking up the bundle that dropped to the floor, you open it up and it is the missing person outline, that fits the "hole." You could end it there, or tear up both parts and then restore them to a complete piece once again.

If you can print on newsprint paper with your printer without getting ink bleed, newsprint is easier to tear with more of a directional grain- or at least get the cheapest paper you can find that your printer will print on. Tissue paper would be great, but you might have bleeding problems.

Eleazar Goodenough's gimmicks for his Ultimate Newspaper Tear (from his book "Tear-Able Magic" on my site) might be useful to do the "dirty work."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I've printed on newsprint to make special headlines, etc. for different paper tears. It works really good. If printing on regular paper, try to avoid a heavy stock that would make the dup. harder to keep flat. Use copy paper instead of inkjet paper, for instance.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Where would you get blank newsprint?

James

PS Does anybody have an online video of Joel Bauer's tear performance, either yours or a demo?
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
James,

Blank newsprint can be bought in pad form in arts and crafts stores with the sketch pads.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Special Paper Tear application? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL