The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Prohibition question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Just received Prohibition and have a question. Wondering how important it is to seal the bottle by placing the cap back on the bottle before the penetration of the cap. I've been performing "Coin in the Bottle" for about 30 years and never once resealed the bottle before penetrating the bottle with the coin. And never once was it brought to my attention that the bottle was not resealed before the penetration. Would like to hear from all.

Thanks,

close-up
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13154 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Close-up

It is personal preference. But there is a difference between coin in the bottle and this type of cap in the bottle. The coin does not fit through the opening...

Tony
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I don't think that it is important to put a cap on the top but I think by plugging up the hole, it cancels any thought of you sneaking it through the top. If you don't want to carry the extra cap, have the spectator put a finger in the hole or just cover the top with their hand. Just my 2 cents.

JIM
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I believe that you just answered your own question.

Because of the clean moves and visible penetration, I don't think it matters if the bottle is recapped or not.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It isn't needed but it removes an out for the spectator. W/out the capping they may, later, think "hmmmm...I bet he had a cap in his mouth and spit it into the opening" or something like that. If you remove the out the the spectator is left with the conclusion that the penitration took place.
close-up
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of close-up
Thanks for the feed back. Jim, I like your idea about the spectator covering up the hole. Plus it really brings the spectator really up-close and part of the routine. By making the spectator part of the physical magic, it cancels any thoughts that the cap someway entered the bottle thru the opening.

Thanks
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I LOVE the routine. The only complaint that I have is that is I perform at 4 restaurants a week. 3 have a bar attached. Just about everyone who comes in and has a drink will get it in a glass. My performance ops have gone down but I still carry it with me from time to time, just hoping................. Smile
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
You could always do "cap in glass" sealed with a rubber band around a napkin. Smile
late night diner
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of late night diner
I find a disadvantage to the cap in a "borrowed bottle" is getting the "last of the beer" all over your hands, which means getting sticky hands.

So far, I usually comment "Let me get a clean bottle from behind the bar and I'll show you something strange", but that doesn't seem as impromptu.

I do like using a bottle for this trick. Anyone have any suggestions?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dump out the left over beer first into a napkin. This doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Re-sealing the bottle in Prohibition isn't vitally important at all. It's just as effective without capping it. The purpose, however, is to further seal the deal in a subtle manner and it just seems to be the most effective way to do so in this particular case. It's a 2 second extra step that makes a big difference.

When the cap is replaced...and you lightly shake that bottle to show that the cap is on and will not shake off, you are also taking the idea that the bottle is empty (no noise) from a visual assumption to an (un)audible fact. It's a subtle difference that reinforces their train of thought into closing any reconstruction avenues afterwards even though it is purely on a subconscious level. It's that cool moment when you're tweeking with the back of their minds without them even knowing it. You're literaly speaking to their subconscious mind.

When the sealed bottle with the cap is handed out, the cap inside cannot be removed without twisting off the cap on top. This also closes the road to reconstructing a possible entry point thus eliminating the idea that sleight of hand may have been used rather that 'magic'.

The step is subtle and the concept may even be overkill but the point is solid that if you can get that spectator to believe something rather than just assume something then you will enhance the illusion and get a far greater reaction.

...or something like that.

peace, charlie
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
I like this effect, I haven't purchased it yet but I have come up with a good routine for it.

I just have one question before the final purchase, I've watched the video and noticed the cap that 'penetrates' the bottle is bent. If the spectator asks why, what do you say the reason for this is?

Mike
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 07:53, Michaelrice wrote:
I like this effect, I haven't purchased it yet but I have come up with a good routine for it.

I just have one question before the final purchase, I've watched the video and noticed the cap that 'penetrates' the bottle is bent. If the spectator asks why, what do you say the reason for this is?

Mike

The 'demo' you viewed was cut for a specific reason (right or wrong). The question will never come up...never...as it is perfectly logical in the sequence of events during the routine.

peace, charlie
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
A few posts ago someone gave an idea:

Ask the spectator: "How could you get this cap INSIDE this bottle?"
Their answer, or your if needed "Bend it." Patter on from there with something like, "well, that is one way, let me show you another.

Best,
Jim
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 06:46, Charlie Justice wrote:
Re-sealing the bottle in Prohibition isn't vitally important at all. It's just as effective without capping it. The purpose, however, is to further seal the deal in a subtle manner and it just seems to be the most effective way to do so in this particular case. It's a 2 second extra step that makes a big difference.

When the cap is replaced...and you lightly shake that bottle to show that the cap is on and will not shake off, you are also taking the idea that the bottle is empty (no noise) from a visual assumption to an (un)audible fact. It's a subtle difference that reinforces their train of thought into closing any reconstruction avenues afterwards even though it is purely on a subconscious level. It's that cool moment when you're tweeking with the back of their minds without them even knowing it. You're literaly speaking to their subconscious mind.

When the sealed bottle with the cap is handed out, the cap inside cannot be removed without twisting off the cap on top. This also closes the road to reconstructing a possible entry point thus eliminating the idea that sleight of hand may have been used rather that 'magic'.

The step is subtle and the concept may even be overkill but the point is solid that if you can get that spectator to believe something rather than just assume something then you will enhance the illusion and get a far greater reaction.

...or something like that.

peace, charlie

Word. Smile
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I love this effect. I just wish that more people would drink their beer strait from a bottle so I could perform the blasted thing more often without having to borrow a bottle from the bar. I'd like to get my restaurant to offer a dollar off Corona while I perform. I don't think it will happen but I'd like it.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've seen in some threads concerning this routine where people question the bending of the cap and it taking away from the magical aspect. The effect is a cap penitrating the bottom of a bottle not a cap through neck of bottle. When doing card through window I don't see people looking for a card larger than the window. This is a great looking mini illusion.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
There's nothing to stop you using a beer glass and spec holds beer mat over top if you so prefer in a bar environment ?

think laterally.... how about jumping beans and a medicine bottle (you use to hold them in)? jumping beans jump so can even use them in a gadabout routine first and then jump one into the bottle Smile or vice versa - just a thought ? Indeed... if you start by jumping one back in the bottle you are set ready to go with a two in the hand routine...
catch you later

Clarioneer
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:34, Jim Poor wrote:
A few posts ago someone gave an idea:

Ask the spectator: "How could you get this cap INSIDE this bottle?"
Their answer, or your if needed "Bend it." Patter on from there with something like, "well, that is one way, let me show you another.

Best,
Jim

Yes that is what I had in mind but I thought that it could be part of the presentation in the routine on the DVD. I just purchased it there, looking forward to getting the ins and outs.

Mike
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Charlie gives you the perfect motivation for bending the cap. It makes perfect sense.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Prohibition question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL