The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good singers you can't stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Here it is. Who are those multi platinum, grammy winners that you can't stand?

Kelly Clarkson - Nothing there for me.
Josh Groban - Sounds like he's sitting on a vibrating motel bed.
Opra Singers - I have total respect for what they do, but why do they do it?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Josh Groban - a bit like Kenny G, he's all "performer's tricks," ordinary instrument, not untalented but not particularly skilled either.

Same with Charlotte Church - cute as heck but she's sacrificing any matured voice she could have later, for a bit of success now.

Dolly Parton - a classic, but so darned perky I need insulin - musta given "perky lessons" to Rachel Ray.

ANYBODY FROM "AMERICAN IDOL" - All of you, earn your fame by practice, developing your skill and maturing your talent - being "discovered" is the least of it, and signing a lifetime deal with the devil in addition ... just offensively stupid.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Gotta disagree with the last part. Fame and fortune in the entertainment business is far too speculative to take a deferral when it knocks on your door.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Dolly Parton ROCKS!!! Perky, but very real, down to earth lady.

And I'll go with Lobowolf on Ross' idol advice. Clay Aiken was spending his time helping special needs kids. Fantasia Barrino was dealing with all sorts of problems. Like them or not, their voices would have never been heard with out a leg up from that show.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Céline Dion. Great voice, but I have no interest in anything she sings. Mariah Carey is in much the same category, although I must admit that my jaw hit the floor the first time I heard her really high notes. WOW!

As for Idol-types. It is about time we disabused ourselves of the notion that wealth and fame are entirely deserved.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. Ecclesiastes 9:11

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ross, you clearly don't know the agreements the Idol people make with the talent. They are not signing a 'lifetime deal with the Devil' and while some of them are not real bright the young lady who I know who was a top five finisher is a very bright woman. The winners sign for two years, the others for one. That isn't a lifetime for most people. To be honest the Idol agreement was far, far, fairer than what she was offered later by Puff Daddy (and refused) and she unfortunately signed with an office that failed to promote her and her album failed (I didn't like it myself but she sings music I don't really listen to).
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Josh,

As an ex-opera singer, here is why I did it:

There was no other art where music combined with power of drama and power of voice in such a way. For me, the music was great. Opera also deals with all the great emotions. Combine these with the incredible feeling of the power of the sound that YOU YOURSELF are producing, and it just didn't get any better (for me, of course!).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Chessmann, I've only experienced it as a spectator in isolation, on TV; Three tenors, or a morning show appearance. Maybe if I sat through an opera from start to end, I'd feel different.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
`Then again, maybe you would hang yourself.....just to stop the sound.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Josh...You are over on the east side of Michigan right?
I hated opera...Even though I was practically raised on it.
Went to go see the Marriage of Figaro at the either the Masonic Temple or The Fox theatre (15 or so years ago), and found the one thing I had been missing in order to enjoy opera.
Subtitles.
They had a subtitle screen up above the stage.
Go see an opera with subtitles. It makes it 1000 times better. Figaro was actually very bawdy and absurd.
Now...I'm an opera lover.

Good singers I can't stand...
Any of the decent country singers out there. There are a lot of really powerful voices in Country Music, but I can't stomach the music. Same goes for R&B artists. Amazing voices, horrible style.
Gwyd
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 16:14, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Maybe if I sat through an opera from start to end, I'd feel different.

You'd definately feel rested. The Opera, the Symphony, you just can't get that kind of sleep at home.

Actually I like the when the Three Tenors sing the songs from the operas like "La donna è mobile" or "Nessun dorma". And of course "Libiamo ne'lieti calici" (Brindisi)" kicks some serious azz. Probably my favorite drinking song next the "Beer Barrel Polka."

As far as good singers I can't stand, Celine Dion would be high on the list for me. Also Burnadette Peters. Even at the age of 7 or 8, whenever I would see her on TV singing her maudlin tripe I would say to myself "gimme a break".

Oh, and of course Barbara Streisand. Bleeech!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Celine Dion sings all of her songs for fat girls, and silly boys.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
James blunt and natasha bedingfield. two of the most annoying and over played songs ever, "youre beautiful" and "unwritten"
-Matt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Bernadette Peters didn't need to know how to sing, she could just stand there and I'd watch....this was a few years ago but still....smokin'.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Barbara Streisand. My mother had one of her albums on the record player. I turned it on, but thought I had it on the wrong speed and tried different speeds. Her voice sounded like comb filtering mating with a Burmese cat.
POOF!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:36, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

And I'll go with Lobowolf on Ross' idol advice. Clay Aiken was spending his time helping special needs kids. Fantasia Barrino was dealing with all sorts of problems. Like them or not, their voices would have never been heard with out a leg up from that show.

BtW, What the heck is Dolly Parton doing singing Led Zeppelin, now??? You talk about crossovers...she's got 'em all beat, there.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Stairway to heaven?
Cards never lie
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 20:06, daffydoug wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 09:36, Josh the Superfluous wrote:

BtW, What the heck is Dolly Parton doing singing Led Zeppelin, now??? You talk about crossovers...she's got 'em all beat, there.

I dunno, man...gotta hand it to Dread Zeppelin. Reggae band doing Zeppelin covers with an Elvis impersonator on lead vocals.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
`Back in the 60's Firestone put out a record of Christmas songs. It was fantastic, that and Frankie Lane singing western songs was all I listened to. On the Firestone album was Perry Como, Johnny Mathis, guys like that and a very young Barbara Streisand singing Silent Night. I was just a lil' guy but when that Silent Night came on I would get up and move the needle to the next song. I absolutely couldn't take her voice. So even at around age five I had taste.
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
R Kelly's I Believe I can fly. The last part where he sings repeatedly with the same word on a few notes. It kinds feel too overdone to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good singers you can't stand (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL