The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I can tell you how you're going to die. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1553 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Read "Scared to Death" by J C Barker. A prediction of a sitter's death by an irresponsible fortune teller can literally frighten him to death as the day approaches.

Never, ever predict a death!

Barry
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
The world will end in 1849...and 2000...oops.
Here's to no guarantees!

Of course Annemann knew...okay, that was in bad taste.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 04:25, mindmagic wrote:
Read "Scared to Death" by J C Barker. A prediction of a sitter's death by an irresponsible fortune teller can literally frighten him to death as the day approaches.

Never, ever predict a death!

Barry

I woke up to find this thread re-born. Thank you, Barry, for your response. Predicting a participants death probably the worst "magic" I've ever heard here. I can't believe any of us would ethically think this okay. I know I tend to be flippant and crass around here, but really. . . "irresponsible" isn't strong enough. I don't care who uses disclaimers or not, why or why not, but this takes takes things a step too far over the line for me.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Funny that this topic would come up- I just finished writing a stage show to compliment my sideshow work.
The idea came from two movie sources- Krull- The race of cyclops that knew exactly when and how they were going to die and Big Fish where the lead character knew when and how he was going to die, so he didn't worry about putting his life in danger because he knew it would all work out.
My routine explains how my partner and I can do all of the sideshow stunts that we do- Because we know it will not kill us. The whole thing is a series of predictions (Cold reading with tarot cards where four audience members draw cards unseen to me, I predict which cards they have and what it means to each, then they draw a card for me- the 10 of swords...The only card I have ever drawn since my childhood (A teddy bear given to me by my Grams is revealed with a 10 swords sticking out of its back)), demonstrations of how we are indestructable until we are supposed to die(Sean Fields Saw, razor blade eating, fish hooks in the arm, horror cutter- You get the idea) and the end of the act is a box with a viewport. This is the device that showed me the exact manner in which I would die, and it would work for anyone. I ask if anyone would like to look in and see their death.
If I get a volunteer, they look into the box and are instructed on how to focus the device with a knob on the side.
There are two versions of the box- one for a straight ending, and one with a comedic ending.
The straight version- When the device is focused, they will be able to read a card- The card says "Congrats- You are now "In" on it. Take a deep surprised breath, stand up straight and return to your seat without a word- Not to me, not to anyone. DO NOT RESPOND! Never let anyone know what you saw in the box. Trust me...It'll be cool."
The comedic version-They turn the knob to focus the box. This triggers the jack in the box mechanism on top that then springs open revealing a scary looking clown holding a sign that says "Heart Attack"
Blowoff line "Well...We can't be right all of the time...At least not today..."
We are rolling out this show in May.
Fun!!
Gwyd
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Okay. . . I like that one. . . well both of them. . . a lot. You avoid the problem altogether.
What would Wavy do?
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Devil's Advocate here Smile
Okay, you might not die, but what's to stop you from (hypothetically of course) being paralyzed or badly burned for the remainder of your life ? - a fate worse than death! (I'd rather die, on the whole, I think, than become a quadriplegic or a serious burn victim - at least, with current medical limitations.)
Has any of your specs ever brought that up?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
If you are talking about my routine...It is still untested, so we'll see.
However in the mythos surrounding the routine, the unique quality of knowing how and when you are going to die also encompasses anything that could do you harm. Intentionally doing things outside of that knowlege can cause no damage because it was not fated to happen.
I can still stub my toe, but only when it is fated to happen.
Unfortunately, I also know it is going to happen, and must have my toe stubbed anyways.
It is inevitable.
And how much would is suck to know that in 3.5 minutes, you are going to stub your toe?
Horrible I tell you!!
Gwyd
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Gwyd, watch out for that roc - ooohh, too late !!

:evilgrin:
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of The Feegee Mermaid
I should point out my post was more or less a joke.
I would never do something like that. Unless...

~TFM
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 01:42, The Feegee Mermaid wrote:
http://www.deathclock.com

Just before you meet with someone you know type their info into the death clock, remember the date and next time you see them shake their hand, fall into a "trance" and write down the date on a peice of paper via "Automatic writting", sign it and put the date that you wrote it. Tell them to hold onto the paper and if they do die on that date (I have no idea of the sites acuracy) someone will find the paper and freak out.

:)
Feegee.

I couldn't help it. . . I had to check. . . and. . . I'm happy to say. . . you all are stuck with me for a long time. Smile
What would Wavy do?
Dale
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Dale
Phew! What a relief.
Seriously...that Death Clock is creepy! Sort of gives you an insight into the feelings of the people in Caleb's story (Which makes the story even more appealing ... ).
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Actually, that Death Clock just makes me roll my eyes. It's based on the BMI, which is *not* a very accurate measure. It was created by insurance companies as a means of screening out people from eligibility for coverage, so it's *extremely* biased. Think about it: the height/weight ratio only gives you a ballpark, averages-based image.

Can I be, say, 5'11", 250 lbs, and be perfectly healthy? Yes. I might lift weights. Or I might be a wrestler or football player or boxer or ... Yet the BMI would say that I'm obese.

It can't take those other factors into consideration. Smile

That minor rant out of the way, I feel there's a lot of mileage in this basic plot idea. There've been stories written based on this premise: one such that I remember involved some sort of number-generating machine (used in some census-type job, iirc) that started printing out just this one number for this guy. He became obsessed with it and became convinced it somehow indicated when, where or how he was going to die.

He went out of his way to avoid all possible instances of the number, and eventually ended up being hit by a car while crossing the street and dying.

He crossed the street because he saw his number on a telephone pole while he was walking.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Well, it's not too bad.. At least I'm gonna live to 2036 and then some.
and here I figured I'd be dead in a year or two..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I can tell you how you're going to die. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL