The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Blaine trick is original? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
What do you think?
tankk
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of tankk
Good question. Does he have any?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You mean something he does IS original?
ColinB
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of ColinB
As Glen David Gold has Charles Carter say in Carter Beats The Devil; "I didn't invent sugar or flour, but I bake a mean apple pie."

Of course, the quality of David Blaine's apple pie is a matter of (usually deeply divided) opinion...
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
David Blaine is an exquisite performer, but nothing he performs is original.
Maxim
View Profile
Regular user
London
113 Posts

Profile of Maxim
I've never seen another magician pretending to lie dead on the street and dancing in a puddle as comedy magic before. Gives Jackie Mason a run for his money eh?
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
His stunts are original, though I don't count them anywhere near magic. He is a good performer, unfortunately employing simple and popular effects.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, New York
182 Posts

Profile of Daniel J. Ferrara Jr.
Yea, he does do standard effects, but he is great at marketing himself. I mean, we can say anything we want about him. However, he is the one with TV specials and the tons of money. I think it has more to do with the character that he plays rather than the effects that he performs. People really beleive that he has magical powers as apposed to magicians who merely perform magic tricks.
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
As far as I know, his stunts are not original either (if you mean buried alive, vertigo etc.).

They may not have been done before but I'm pretty sure they have been documented. They are very very old stunts.
Neil Marriott
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
15 Posts

Profile of Neil Marriott
Mostly are. The TV specials and his book explain his influences for each stunt.
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
I think the best Mr. Blaine can do is that he owns the T.V rights to crush and restore soda, so don't be think of taking that one up for a few years.
But credit where credit is due the guy is making a whole bog pile of cash fooling people who are not in the know!
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Well, the idea of his stunts are all unoriginal, but you must also consider that ALMOST all magic is inspired in one way or another by an old tradition/scam.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Quote:
On 2003-01-14 13:20, Donnay wrote:
But credit where credit is due the guy is making a whole bog pile of cash fooling people who are not in the know!

I think a lot of people( I am not jusk getting on you Donnay) put how much money a person makes = success,I know some people who have lots money but I would consider failers at LIFE, IE: drug dealers, prostitutes, Enron execs and the like, do not get me wrong money is nice and needed but, TIME is the most important commodity we have, I consider myself very successful in this business, I make a comfortable living and love the art, the greatest "pay" I get is the fact that I get to spend the majority of my life with my wife... would I take more money ? you bet, but not in exchange for much more of my time, Before I get to many responses on me equating Blain to a common street walker, I am not. I was just saying money does not equal success in my eyes.

Jeff
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
C'mon guys...SO he uses stuff that is not his own..HOW many of you all use other people's illusions. Oh, is it because you aren't getting paid the big bucks like mr.B? Well, I'm definitely not in love with him but if his "character" has gotten him on national tv, and the way he performs has gotten people once again into magic..then great. Doesn't he deserve the money because it's his "character" , the way he presented that got him there.

Many tricks that Harry Anderson uses are NOT his. Needle thru arm--orginated thru someone else...card on seat, chap-o, pen thru tongue, and there is much more. But just like Blaine (but in the late 80's) Harry got popular using these tricks (not to mention being on tv). He was even KNOWN for the needle thru the arm (originally NOT his--though he made one later). Also chapeaugraphy came back because of him--(chap-o NOT his) He was one of the highest paid magicians...he developed his magic character and went with it. Because he was so good at it, he is now retired at 50.
I am sure there are tons of magicians who use unoriginal material--as well as using other magicians' lines in performance too!

Smile

LN
harryandersonfan.com
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
Quote:
On 2003-01-16 15:10, harryandersonfan wrote:
C'mon guys...SO he uses stuff that is not his own..HOW many of you all use other people's illusions. Oh, is it because you aren't getting paid the big bucks like mr.B? Well, I'm definitely not in love with him but if his "character" has gotten him on national tv, and the way he performs has gotten people once again into magic..then great. Doesn't he deserve the money because it's his "character" , the way he presented that got him there.

Many tricks that Harry Anderson uses are NOT his. Needle thru arm--orginated thru someone else...card on seat, chap-o, pen thru tongue, and there is much more. But just like Blaine (but in the late 80's) Harry got popular using these tricks (not to mention being on tv). He was even KNOWN for the needle thru the arm (originally NOT his--though he made one later). Also chapeaugraphy came back because of him--(chap-o NOT his) He was one of the highest paid magicians...he developed his magic character and went with it. Because he was so good at it, he is now retired at 50.
I am sure there are tons of magicians who use unoriginal material--as well as using other magicians' lines in performance too!

Smile

LN
harryandersonfan.com

Yet the question was... "Which Blaine trick is original?"

And the answer probably is... "NONE"

And for most skilled magicians, I tend to believe they try to develop their skills in order to improve an effect (new or old) and therefore possbily call it their own original.

I have a coin routine with borrowed ideas and moves from a bunch of coin greats... but nobody does MY routine... so I guess it's original, eh?

Even Blaine's camera trick levitation isn't 'original'.

They used the same concept in Superman the Movie back in the 80s and the people on the street were like... "WOW!!!!"
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
Wickedx
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Wickedx
What about the needle through hand he perfformed on jonathan ross's show? i haven't seen that before anywhere?

Paul
I Defy Logic, They Question Reality.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5367 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Paul,

The needle through the arm (as performed) has been around since the 1960’s. There is an earlier version that was performed at carnivals but used a different method. The carnival version was being used in the 1940’s and maybe earlier.

Harry Anderson made the needle through arm trick popular back in the early 70’s.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
I never saw any magician swallow a snake or a piece of thread and then pull it out of somewhere else till I saw DB do it.
CloseUpMagicKid
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
105 Posts

Profile of CloseUpMagicKid
Quote:
On 2003-01-31 14:54, johnr733 wrote:
I never saw any magician swallow a snake or a piece of thread and then pull it out of somewhere else till I saw DB do it.

Watch some older Penn & Teller routines. From eating thread with razors to cutting snakes in half... etc.etc.etc.
"Careful! The beverage you are about to enjoy is extremely hot!" -Starbucks Coffee

GlennMagasDotCom
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
With regards to the needle in the arm trick. He put it through his hand, don't know if that makes a difference?

I don't see why he should be given any stick for not doing anything new. There are millions of tricks already in existence. O.K. it's cool when people make up their own stuff and it's nice for us lot to see something new. But simple tricks performed well are often the best tricks for laymen. Which after all is our target audience. It's nice to show magicians something they haven't seen before but it doesn't really apply to Joe Public. Joe just likes to be fooled and often the oldies but goldies will do the trick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which Blaine trick is original? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL