The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » T. Nelson Downs Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
Being practicing the Downs palm, I am able to hold 7 64 Kennedys there and produce them one at a time. Question - what's the most anyone has been able to hold in that position and produce one at a time just using regular coins? Also, do many of you use the Downs palm for productions much? I think if I could hold more coins then this would work well for the Miser's Dream or would this still work with 7 coins but then on the last coin use a couple of fake throws? Any ideas please.

Best,

shaun
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9237 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not necessarly about "how many" you can do, as it should be about "how well" you can do it. Just the same, keep practicing and good work so far. Smile -MB

*Oh, and you should check out how Sylvester The Jester, does this classic effect...His Misers Dream-type effect is killer, especially using his great move, the "Sylvester's Pitch." Certainly kicks it up a few notches. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Yeah Mb217, I was just curious to see how many coins someone had in that positio. I think me doing 7 feels comfortable even though I have small hands, (which by the way small hands don't mean it stops anyone doing sleights. I think my productions look quite convincing as I did this with my wife and she really is a critic, but I'm gonna keep at it as I really like this way of producing coins and will incorporate this into a couple of routines, but point taken.

shaun

Posted: Feb 13, 2007 5:17pm
-----------------------------------------
Thanks for for the comment about Sylvester the Jester. I already have that, I put it onto a DVD for myself so the VCR don't chew up my tape. ... Had forgot about SJ so I'll dig it out and go back through it. That's what I like about this forum, I would have forgot about SJ till you reminded me. Thanks again.

Best,

shaun
mark1991
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, Lincolnshire, England
311 Posts

Profile of mark1991
Hi there,

I use the Downs palm a **** of a lot! I use it all the time in my main coin routine and it is quite unbelievable for the audience!

I don't feel it is important how many you can do, but what you do with it that counts. In effect, you can just have one coin in Downs palm and still be able to do the Miser's Dream.

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
http://magicnewstelevision.com/mn/magicalmark

Magical Mark Watson - Christian magician, juggler, puppeteer, all-round entertainer and lover of Christ!
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Hi Mark I know what you mean ,i have always messed with Downs palm and it was only recently that I have started to use more coins and I agree it can look unbelieveable to laymen!my post wasen't a challenge to see how many I could use compared to someone else ,i was just wondering that's all as it takes a little getting use to with more coins and you are right it is what you can do with it that counts.

Thanks

shaun
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27252 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-13 16:41, shaun halfdollar wrote:
...whats the most anyone has been able to hold in that position and produce one at a time just usin regular coins ...

The concealment looks to have been l'homme Masque's. Smile

Downs used to produce any number of coins called for, one at a time from his wand or fingertips. He later dropped the trick as it meant little to the audience.

There are FAR better ways to do the Miser's Dream trick than to clutter your hands full of coins and even some very clever mechanical devices to make the trick look very clean and magical. Well worth the reading (try Downs himself to start)

Outside of the finale of the trick (as performed by some) there is not much reason to get loaded up at the outset.

Enjoy your explorations

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9237 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Here's a brief example of what JT is talking about. The magi is Chris Capehart, a very good trickster...don't seem like he needs any stack to make this happen well-enough, telling by the audience's enjoyment. And that's really what it's all about. Smile
Enjoy! Smile -MB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6jqhVio_Q
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

FRANZIS
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of FRANZIS
Hi,

For the DOWN'S PALM, it is interesting to read the following :

- The routined manipulation part one "Lewis GANSON" the Fred KAPS'routine,
- The Book of secrets - J.CARNEY,
- The modern art of coin manipulation - Ron MCMILAN,

And of course the BOBO.
shaw76
View Profile
New user
New Orleans
4 Posts

Profile of shaw76
I have not really found much use for the downs palm. I have the BOBO book but find that it does not seem very modern.

Is there any tricks in the BOBO book that anyone recomends?
Formaspace Technical Furniture, CustomWork benches and Laboratory Furniture.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27252 Posts

Have you tried that funky coins to glass where you have the glass in your pocket?

Or Motile?

Or any of the coin box stuff?

Or... or...
mithrius
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
127 Posts

Profile of mithrius
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 09:59, shaw76 wrote:
I have not really found much use for the downs palm. I have the BOBO book but find that it does not seem very modern.

What would make the effects more modern?
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Hi there thanks to all of you for the comments ,yes mb217 I have just seen the chris capehart demo,must say I had the pleasure of seeing his lecture at blackpool last year and thought he was awesome .Was wondering when he was gonna bring out a dvd with some coin work on ,i did a search and found a review of the dvd on here and sounds really good so I'll get me a copy next week at the blackpool convention if anyone has it there.
Hi Jonathan I see what you mean with having a lot of coins concealed in Downs ,though I was thinking of opening my routine with it producing them and then starting from there ,i know there are other ways using just a couple of coins like the sylvester pitch or David stones Transfer which I can do pretty well but I just like the way you can produce quite a few coins and actually show them all when finished ,i also think this looks good from a laymens point of view and I am gettin really good at it now so I think I am gonna stick with it as it also gives me that other option.
Best

shaun
lubdub
View Profile
Regular user
bloomsburg, pa
107 Posts

Profile of lubdub
Use the misers with a combo of the nelson and a pk ring. I suggest a vortex for the ring choice because the way it is made, it will also kinda make atomatic tenki/gohman pinch possible. Therefore, you can show your reaching hand empty.

best wishes,
Jordan Rosenberg
only a magician can play a liar but then all magicians are liars
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9237 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey good thinking lubdub...very creative. Along those creative lines regarding the "Downs Palm," here's some of my thinking regarding my new "Crimp Change."

In doing so, for a long time I have played with doing it from a Down's Palm, which doesn't seem like it would work, but it can in the way I have been "inspired" to synthesize two moves to help make it happen, the Downs Palm and Geoff Latta's "French Pop." I call it the "Downs Pop" as used in conjunction in presenting the Crimp Change...But I can see how you could use the "DP" in other ways to show your hand even more flexibly empty. Not sure if it's a new application or not. I haven't seen it presented anywhere, or so discussed in usage this way, so just maybe... Anyway, I was "inspired by" the 2 wonderful moves, and attempted to bring them together in displaying my new Crimp Change...Take a look. Smile -MB

http://magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10753

Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Hi, I use the DP with silver dollars. On Sept 16th I set a World Record for producing 10 from one hand. If you'd like, check it out on YouTube. You can click the link or go to YouTube and put my name in a search engine: JUSTIN STYLE. There are three clips of me doing the coins: 8 coins. 9 coins and then 10! If you need any help, please give me a shout!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohE27UPyYJw

Good luck and most of all Practice, then practice some more and when you're done don't forget to practice some more. Then after that when you start to get tired Practice some more. You must become one with the coins, don't ever give up, don't use anything other than real coins.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9237 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Justin, real nice man...Smile Nice presentation too. Smile But this production is not what I'm talking about...That is if you're responding to me. Smile If so, then you are producing coins from Downs Palm, and you do it very well I must say...Smile But what I think I came up with, as I tried to explain above is more of a blending of 2 separate moves into one to show the hands empty. In doing this, I open with the Downs Palm as you do, but I can immediately (in the way Geoff Latta uses his "French Pop" move to vanish a coin) show my hand frontward and you see only one coin at my fingertips. Your production shows your hand only in one plane, only moving your arm from left to right and back again. I can move my hand also up and down, rotate my wrist and hand where you can clearly see my palm from several angles, but you see only 1 coin. I call this move, the "Downs Pop" or the "DP Deception" move. It was inspired from the Downs Palm and Latta's "French Pop" move. So, I think what you're doing is quite different. Actually, I think what you're doing is the classic production via the Downs Palm, and again very well I might add...Congrats on the record. Smile Oh, and I agree, "Practice, practice, practice...Think about it and then practice some more." Smile -MB

http://magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=10753

Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Justin,

congrats on the world record. Nice video. Are you planning to go to 12 or more coins?

Andy
Cards never lie
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 09:59, shaw76 wrote:

Did you happen to notice the copyright date? The NEW material in the book is half a century old, and the old stuff is a couple of hundred years old.

The book is full of stuff that lots of folks recommend. That's how it got into the book in the first place.

The Goshman Sun and Moon routine, adn Gadabout Coins are popular favorites.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Hi guys, thanks for the nice words. Andy, believe me 10 was more than I ever dreamed of! My hands are only so big-lol! I'm sure somewhere out there somebody will be able to do more?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27252 Posts

Have you seem Mickey Silver produce about 40 coins in 10 seconds?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » T. Nelson Downs Palm (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL