The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » T. Nelson Downs Palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
Hi justin nicely done ,do you have any problems concealing the dollars i.e dry hands or sweaty hands,my hands are really dry sometimes so I will put some sortquik on just for a bit of grip when they are dry but I don't need to do this all of the time but just wondered if you did anything in preparation that's all.

Best

shaun
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
Justin,
Excellent job. Congrats on the record. You do a very good DP. My Max is 6 half's.
MagicJohnH
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of MagicJohnH
Shaun,
Being able to DP seven Half's is good and you certainly can do a miser dream with those. Try also using your other hand. That way you can produce 14 and if you use a bucket you will be able to make it look like even more.
morgandollarman
View Profile
Regular user
England
176 Posts

Profile of morgandollarman
Magicjohn you are right,i'll need to practice with my right hand for that as I'm left handed but I think I can do it if I practice a lot and get the right hand use to doin it.
I guess sometimes we can become lazy with the hand that we don't always use ,i did learn the goshman pinch usin both hands so I guess I'm gonna have to set me another goal ...cheers

shaun
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Wait until you get onto the multiple back palm, then we're really talking numbers Smile Also with back palm your angles are the same no-matter how many you're holding, you also don't need to worry about the balcony, or the ochestra pit. I'd save Downs Palm for only a few coins at a time, with multiple back-palm I can work with 10 (for artistic reasons I tend to use 8), but have been known to do upwards of 15, I don't remember my record, it's meaningless really. Also you can transfer from backpalm into downs without flashing the coin, try going the other way and it's easy to figure out.
Paul
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
RE: Have you seem Mickey Silver produce about 40 coins in 10 seconds?

No I haven't. I would love to see it, is there any video?

And RE:
I'd save Downs Palm for only a few coins at a time, with multiple back-palm I can work with 10 (for artistic reasons I tend to use 8), but have been known to do upwards of 15, I don't remember my record, it's meaningless really.

True, kinda. I would love to see you do the routine described. My record is in the book: Record Holders Republic. And, soon to be in Guinness.
The record I set was nice, but mostly I did it for validation and some personal reason that I will explain one day...

The first time I performed it for magicians (The actual routine, not the record attempt - the RHR just wanted me to do it for speed) was my first time attending Fechter's convention, 1998. I did 8 and rolled them out in both hands. It was well received and called one of the highlights of the convention in Magic magazine. If you want to feel pressure, try doing it with the best magicians in the world staring at you. I loved every minute of it. (3:56 actually, lol)

And, one more RE:
Hi justin nicely done ,do you have any problems concealing the dollars i.e dry hands or sweaty hands, my hands are really dry sometimes so I will put some sortquik on just for a bit of grip when they are dry but I don't need to do this all of the time but just wondered if you did anything in preparation that's all.

All I can say to your question is Confidence is the only cure. I NEVER use anything other than soap and water. My hands sweat and sometimes the humidity can cause problems. So I always wash my coins and hands before I have to perform. In the beginning I used to keep the coins in the freezer to keep them cold, LOL. But the truth is I always had more nerve than brains or talent and sometimes I didn't know any better. Practice and years of dedication is the only answer. And smile when performing.

I never claim to be the best, but I certainly hope I am not the worst? In truth, I'm just a nobody from New Jersey.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27252 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-02-26 09:41, stjustyle wrote:
RE: Have you seem Mickey Silver produce about 40 coins in 10 seconds?

No I haven't. I would love to see it, is there any video?...

Surprised you have not seen this. Mickey made an impression at the LVMI/CoinVention back in 2003. Performances of Mickey's "Human Slot Machine" were made available video and sent out to MANY here upon request.

He gave out DVDs at his appearance at Metro Magic II in NJ last November.

He's a member here so drop him a PM.

:)

PS he also has a retention pass that is VERY impressive. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Hey Thanks! I don't get out that much but I will definitaly check him out.

On an unrelated topic - How do you insert a picture and make those smiley faces?
Masilon
View Profile
New user
Milan-Italy
53 Posts

Profile of Masilon
Hi Paul, what did you mean with multiple back-palm ? Are you able to back palm multiple coins at the same time??? And how do you produce them ?
I can even back palm a single coin....

Thanks,
Luca
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Masilon,

Just get this book, principles and deception by the man himself Arthur Buckley, and you'll see how you can back palm one and more then one coin; also T Nelson Down, by I don't remember the name of his book or books.

Mano.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I've played with multiple back palm for quite some time now. You just stack them as per the legendary pics of Down's hand, I'm sure Bobo mentions it, and Buckley had an interesting production, so did Buckingham, I prefer an almost Cardini style card production, but I'm working on applying something Pat Page showed me to a stack. Just to annoy magicians I sometimes perform Thurstons 5 card vanish and reproduction with coins. Of course the source has to be Downs himself, a man who I think has a lot to answer for in magic, when he had reporters saying how he could pull coins out of the air, he told them he was palming them... thanks Downs.
Paul

Oh my routine with coins is remarkably similar to Buckinghams opening... I'm only pretty good with coins, I'm by no means the best... yet!
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
Paul,

welcome to the club.

Mano.
Nat
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nat
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2007, Mano wrote:
Paul,

welcome to the club.

Mano.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A friend is researching T. Nelson Downs, his career and life - if you have information, artifacts, history, performances -- please contact me. Many thanks. Nat brinate@sio.midco.et
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
The Downs Palm was invented by L'Homme Masque and stolen by Downs the minute L'Homme Masque died.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Plus, Downs supposedly didn't use the move. He used Angle Palm (like Edge Palm - not to be confused with Edge Grip) but tilted 45 degrees.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1660 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Nov 22, 2022, gregg webb wrote:
Plus, Downs supposedly didn't use the move. He used Angle Palm (like Edge Palm - not to be confused with Edge Grip) but tilted 45 degrees.

Henry Hay, in AMH, calls this the "Edge Palm, or Downs Palm". Hugard, in Modern Magic Manual, calls it the Oblique Palm and attributes it to Downs. Bobo calls it the Edge Palm.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Interesting. That's good because Mike Rubinstein is calling Jack Chanin's grip for big coins Angle Palm, so there is no overlap. Edge palm is more like 90 degrees, isn't it. Maybe I'm remembering Oblique Palm. That rings a bell.
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Quote:
On Nov 18, 2022, gregg webb wrote:
The Downs Palm was invented by L'Homme Masque and stolen by Downs the minute L'Homme Masque died.

Downs published the technique in 1909 in "The Art of Magic"
https://www.conjuringcredits.com/doku.php?id=coin:downs_palm

But L'homme Masque died around 1924
https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php......e_Masque

I wonder if L'homme Masque (José Antenor) even knew, or did he even care? He hid his identity, would he even have wanted the notoriety?
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
No, he didn't know or care. Thank you for giving his real name. The move is very popular, but somewhat eclipsed for close-up by Roth's Edge Grip. For platform and stage it is still big.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4469 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Kainoa's edge grip is more like a Down's palm than edge grip. However, he came up with a lot of novel innovations with its use.
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » T. Nelson Downs Palm (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL