We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Building your own table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hi Amon. Thanks!
I used to live near you... in Centerville.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
DAK
View Profile
Regular user
UK
135 Posts

Profile of DAK
Frank's table tops are the tops!

Mine is now into it's third sesason (having taken a good beating the last two)and it's still going strong!

Dominick
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
First I like Gazzos subtle protest against Franks products. Second if I was going to make a table it would cost several hundred dollars. This is because I don't have any of the tools needed, don't know how to work with wood so I'll end up messing it up a few of them before being happy, not to mention bail money after I get angry and beat some passerby with a new tool.

I have used cheap tables and if you drop them wrong, no more table, well made solid tables will last for years.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Subtle??
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Okay, not so subtle but it makes me giggle.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Has anyone even looked at my table post Smile
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
I thought Gazzo was just laughing "with" not "at" Frank..Frank had some very good points..and secondly ...yes I have looked at your post Gaddy..Thanks
here and now
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes Gaddy and it was a beautifully worded post, almost poetic. The idea of using a music or keyboard stand is a great one, thank you for the reminder. Perhaps when I am next in SF (I just left there a couple months ago to get away from the crowds) we shall get together and discuss tables. I, unfortunately, can barely open a table let alone make one. Oh, rather than mouse material, which is rather hard, look into getting some of the material used to make the diving and surfer suits for the cold water guys. Great material.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

I think that http://www.musiciansfriend.com has (when I last looked) keyboard stands that went for $20 shipped.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2007-02-14 21:38, gaddy wrote:
Has anyone even looked at my table post Smile

Yeah, I looked at your post a while back and I am still waiting on a picture. I
check every now and then in hopes to see it.

I scraped this forum up and down looking for ideas on tables for the street. I was
basically looking for the same table that I saw a Disney performer using. I found
out by talking to this performer directly, that he had it custom made and it
wasn't for sell anywhere.

Then I went on my own search to see who sells these things and I found Frank's, Tabmans, and others...I first jiddered at the price, but considered the quality.
I have a slieght idea as to what is needed for street performing and said to
myself, "You know, to get this right you have be skilled and its not easy.".

All that being said, I play keyboards and DJ, so I am familear with X-stands (or
keyboard stands) as noted by Frank. I have 3 that I purchased from SAM-ASH in NYC.
There is the 20 dollar one which will hold one of these tables and is considerably
light and durable. I have another one that holds other audio equipment, but it
is too heavy to be carrying around all day, but I definately recomend the 20 dollar
piece.

Later, I scrapped up some light weight wood and plopped my giant "mouse pad" (close
up pad purchased from Tannens, that is the same as a giant mouse pad) on it.

This is very basic, but it is very light. I rigged it as in the Celini vid. It
looks no where near as profesional as the "Disney" table or of Frank's quality.
But I am going to use it my first time out. I may consider to dress it up later,
but may just end up buying one of these nicer looking tables...but we'll see.

So my point, I guess, is maybe we should provide some guiding light here?
Provide some tips, pros and cons, material, pictures...etc.

I like to see more updates. Perhaps the orginal poster will continue his quest
and share is work and lessons learned. Perhpas we'll find success or perhaps we'll
that the time and effort will only equal the purchase of these tables through a
mouse click...just a thought.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Here's a suggestion: I didn't buy it, but someone might want to look into it:

I saw a Basswood drawing board listed at Dick Blick a while back. I think it's a "laptop" size drafting board. It's hollow, but closed around all edges. All you would need to do is add a top (I used Poker cloth and a rubber shelf protector pad from Home Depot) and frame up the edges(or find a picture frame to fit). It costs more than a similiar sized sheet of plywood, but the light weight might be worth the extra cost. Considering I had to buy a minimum of a half sheet of plywood just so I could cut it down, the price really isn't that outrageous.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz229/92/
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Here is what I did: I ran across a carpet sample that, to me, was perfect. I then cut a piece of plywood that was an adittional inch wide and long. I simply glued the carpet to this and wood glued appropriate sized dowel rods that were mitered (to join and look nice at the corners) along the outside of the carpet, but not TO the carpet. In other words, the carpet was framed by the dowels and served the same function of a picture frame. The dowels, along with the edges of the plywood were wood stained for a very nice..dare I say..professional appearance but not at a professional price.

The only tricky part can be locating a carpet piece or sample with the appropriate size, color, and nap. Hope this helps someone.

Mark
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
OK I've been browbeaten into action Smile

I've posted a few images of my 60$ table in "The workshop" under the original post.

ENJOY!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Chris Becker
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
371 Posts

Profile of Chris Becker
Yeah! It's only 7.30 and I can leave. This means, of course, I might have some time to work on the table tonight - although I also got a new laptop that needs to be set up... Smile
- - -
<BR>Cards don't cheat people. People cheat people.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13386 Posts

I'm betting you do the laptop. I mean, how can you resist new electronics?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I love it when someone who has absolutely now knowledge of how props are built gripes about the prices. Sure, you can buy a dining table or a coffee table for $270 with four chairs. Where is it made? China. How much hand labor is in it? What kind of flaws will you find? How long will it last? I have a dining room set with six chairs that I inherited from my father. It's made of excellent hardwood. Each chair cost as much as your whole dining set. Why? It's a high quality product. It's 30 years old now, and as solid as a rock. It will be here long after I'm gone.

I built a trestle table to my own specs back in 1994. The total material cost, including the velvet for the top was about $75.00. That was for four turned spindles, some 1/4 inch baltic birch plywood, hardwood for the edging on the table top, the velvet and the padding. I put about 20 hours of work into it. In 1995, the level of labor involved would have amounted to $200.00. So, just to break even, if I sold it, I would have to get about $275 for it.

Granted, the same table could be made in China for about $50.00. But there would be a question of quality control, and I would have to make sure that someone who knew how the thing went together assmbled it properly.

Most magic props are hand made. That's why they are so expensive. When you have handmade props that are exactly what is required for a performance, you pay the going rate. If you aren't doing it for a regular source of income, then don't buy the expensive stuff. You don't need it.

Have you ever priced an Origami? Or an Interlude?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
To me, if you are doing a gig where you want your show to look professional, when you walk out with a keyboard stand and/or a conductor's stand, plop a top on it, and start performing, it's just as silly as bringing your keyboard out, putting it on top of a couple of milk crates and expecting your crowd to take you seriously.

You work on getting an act together. You buy decent props. You work on your presentations. Then you put out a table that looks like it was thrown together from stuff you bought at a garage sale.

Or do you work on getting an act together? Do you buy decent props? Do you work on your presentations?

No?

Then even Frank's table won't save you.

BTW, I underestimated what the parts for my trestle table actually cost. Figuring in stains, finishes, etc., at today's prices, it's closer to $150.

I also have about 10 hours in it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have posted some information about my own table here:

http://www.hocuspocusjr.com/table.htm

This table is as solid as a rock. I've used it on flat stages, raked stages, the ground, on bricks, pavement, you name it. All I need to do to make it look shiny and new is to give it a light buffing with steel wool and a shot of minwax finish.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Would you want to toss a set of $300 big honkin Gazzo cups around on a $30 IKEA-like table? To each his own, I did see a set of beautiful alloy mag wheels on a Yugo once.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When you entertain big crowds, you need a decent amount of real estate to play on. Also, your equipment needs to be tough. This is why I used oak dowels in the table, rather than maple or birch.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Building your own table (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL