The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paint Can Surprise by Devin Knight (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2172 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Will this be available through murphys for other dealers to carry?
Pay it forward
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
In time, but for right now only Hocus Pocus has it.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 12:51, magicbuilder wrote:
The idea of a ring penetrating a paint can, dissolving, being sprayed out into a black ring,which dries and turns back into the borrowed ring is a NEW and UNIQUE idea. This concept has never been done before.

It goes far beyond the old borrow a ring and reproduce it. This a new effect using a borrowed ring. Saying it is one of the most unique ideas to come out isn't a stretch as nothing even close to this effect has been done on the past.

Respectfully,
Devin Knight

Uou misunderstood my criticism, I wasn't saying the trick isn't unique, I was saying this sentence is meaningless and bad, amateur ad copy.

"Paint Surprise is one of the most original and unique ideas ever created."

The most original and unique idea ever? Let's see. There was the wheel, and then the theory of relativity, then Paint Can by Devin Knight.

Again, I'm just saying it's poor writing not a bad effect.

But with something that is theoretically this visual and "original and unique" you have to wonder why there isn't a demo video for it. In this day and age you can create a demo video and have it online in literally minutes. The only reason not to put up a demo video is when an effect doesn't look as good as it sounds.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
770 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
"Yes more fun than any human being should be allowed to have."

Looking forward to it.
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4445 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 17:59, Magicsquared wrote:

"Paint Surprise is one of the most original and unique ideas ever created."

The most original and unique idea ever? Let's see. There was the wheel, and then the theory of relativity, then Paint Can by Devin Knight.

Again, I'm just saying it's poor writing not a bad effect.

It says 'One of' not THE most original ideas. If it said THE most original idea then I would sort of start to understand your point, but it says 'One of' the most original ideas, which I believe is true
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
770 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Good eye there Christopher.
I guess that is why you are not only a member here, but on staff as well.
Keep up the good work. Smile

HP sent me a shipping confirmation ALREADY, so it's in the mail.
This truly sounds like a lot of fun.
I'll let you guys know when it arrives.

That's for sharing this Devin.
~Nick V.~
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
455 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Devin would you recommend this just for stage or could you do this for close-up?

Thanks
Chris
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Although I designed this for stage you can do it close up, even one on one if you wished.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 19:08, Christopher Williams wrote:
It says 'One of' not THE most original ideas. If it said THE most original idea then I would sort of start to understand your point, but it says 'One of' the most original ideas, which I believe is true

This is a ridiculous argument. It's bad copywriting. Deal with it. You don't call a magic trick, especially one that follows a standard plot (ring to impossible location), "one of the most original and unique ideas ever." First off, you can't modify the word unique with most. It's a discrete adjective so you don't apply comparatives or superlatives to it. Second, it's a big world out there, filled withed marvelous ideas; if this is truly "one of the most original and unique [sic] ideas" you've ever seen, you need to get out more.

But let's not argue semantics anymore.

The real issue is, has there been a REALLY good visual effect released in the past few years that didn't have a video demo? I can't remember one. Use your head. If this looks as good as you feel it sounds, then a video demo would only increase sales and it would be the FIRST thing anyone with any marketing sense would create. As I said, a serviceable video demo could be created and uploaded in 20 minutes, if that.

I'm more than happy to be proved wrong about this. I hope it turns out to be a great effect and everyone is happy with it.
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Everyone doesn't have a video camera to upload a video within minutes. I agree a video for this trick would be nice and would increase sales. A video is forth coming. I have a friend who has the camera and software coming over next weekend. At that time a video will be made.

Devin
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4445 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2007-02-16 12:03, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 19:08, Christopher Williams wrote:

This is a ridiculous argument. It's bad copywriting. Deal with it. You don't call a magic trick, especially one that follows a standard plot (ring to impossible location), "one of the most original and unique ideas ever." First off, you can't modify the word unique with most. It's a discrete adjective so you don't apply comparatives or superlatives to it. Second, it's a big world out there, filled withed marvelous ideas; if this is truly "one of the most original and unique [sic] ideas" you've ever seen, you need to get out more.

I wasn't trying to start an arguement, just purely correcting a fault in one of your comments.
Out of curiosity...do you think you could do a better job as the copywriter? If so...can you perhaps re-write it? I hope that hasn't come across sarcastic, I really mean it.

Though, would you prefer it said something like 'Not one of the most original ideas to be released, in fact, it's based on all old principles used before that you will all be able to find somewhere else, but Devin has decided to be nice and put it all together for you to save you time and effort'. I don't think so... the job as an advertiser and marketer is to sell their products. They are trying their best to sell their products, and so make things sound amazing to make people interested. That is why all products being released have the same kind of beginning texts. 'Truly one of the best, most novel ideas ever to be devised'. They use this because it makes you interested already, you think to yourself 'Is it??? Really??? I've got to get me one of these'. Rather than 'Here is just another bog standard ring in impossible location effect, this is basically what happens guys...'.

Anyone see the point? I have found and I am sure everyone else who has bought something else from Devin will agree that when the effect is written, it looks as it reads to the word. With some people, I agree, it could sound too good, or sounds weird etc, but with Devin, you know it will play as it reads
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
For the sake of argument, I had HP change the line in question to: One of the most unusual effects created.

I don't think anyone can find fault in that statement because spraying a dissolved ring out of can is unusual.

Christopher is right, copy is written to create excitement about a new effect. I always try to make sure my copy reads as it plays, even though it sounds impossible at times.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Jumbo shrimp.

I think your idea is the most almost unique most nearly unusual effect I've almost am about to purchase. Smile
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
3667 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I will be receiving Paint Can Surprise by Wednesday. I will post an extensive review by Thursday or Friday. While it looks like a great routine, my only initial complaint is that if my wife sees me with a paint can she may get the wrong idea and ask me to start painting the house. Thanks a lot Devin.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
770 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 08:05, magicinsight wrote:
my only initial complaint is that if my wife sees me with a paint can she may get the wrong idea and ask me to start painting the house.

HaHa That is FUNNY!
:)
~Nick V.~
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Just an update. Hocus Pocus has on their website that my trick is IN STOCK NOW. The first shipment arrived today. For those who don't like presales, well the wait is over and HP has them.
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
455 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Cant wait!
Chris Oberle
View Profile
Elite user
California
455 Posts

Profile of Chris Oberle
Devin would you recommend this just for stage or could you do this for close-up?

Thanks
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Works either way, but I like this for a smaller stage effect when you have say 50 to 100 people in the audience. It can be done on a large stage as the effect is easy to follow and I've used it for over 500 people to great response.

Devin
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
770 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
Devin,

I just received mine.
Everything looks genuine (even the extra splatters of paint near the nozzle). Smile

Clever method. Love the props. You guys did a nice job making these.
It's clear that you put a lot of effort putting this package together.

Kudos!
~Nick V.~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paint Can Surprise by Devin Knight (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL