The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Got the Gig! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmanci15
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmanci15
March 3rd I start at Unos Grill. Ill be there every Friday night from 6-8, which will be a jump from the Wednesday nights at the last place. This place is a lot bigger and I've had my eye on for a while now. I met the GM a few months back, but he wasn't the head person. The real decision maker was never around. I knew that the GM liked the idea, so I started talking in terms of "us vs. him". A month later I invited the owner to come see me work in his place. He did, and the rest is history. well, most of it...

The GM said I was gonna be put on payroll, and that he was getting a W10 I think. I don't know what a W10 is, if it is that, and I am ignorant in the realm of federal taxation. I just want to be ready, and do the right thing when the time comes. So can someone describe to me the process that I'm gonna go through with them in terms of invoicing my performances for them and taxing myself when I get paid. thanks

Ivan
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Congrats!

If you are going to be on payroll, I'm not sure why you would need to do an invoice for them as well. I could be way of base though.

Here is what I found on W-10 (never heard of it until now):

"Form W-10 is a quarterly tax return to remit 1% (.01) withholding for residents of the City of St. Louis, and non-residents who work in the City of St. Louis. Resident business and non-resident businesses that have employees performing work or services in the City of St. Louis use this form."

Of course, if you're not in St. Louis, I found the wrong form! Smile
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
525 Posts

Profile of sibbie
I can't think of the form off the top of my head but there a couple of tax forms you have to fill out when being put on the payroll of any business so they can withold the proper federal, state, and local taxes.

As far as the invoicing, as Jim said it may not be necessary since you will be on their payroll and they can track you that way. It couldn't hurt to give them to the GM each time you are paid.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
First off, Congrats on the gig! I'm sure it will go great, and hopefully this will turn into a long-term gig as well!

Recently, I was put on the payroll as well. I'm not a big fan of it, but it sure does make things a lot less of a hassle. I'm sure they will just treat you like any other employee, in regards to getting paid. Fill out the standard stuff, and it will all work out.

But if you are really unsure about all this stuff, ask the GM. IMO, he will be able to better explain what you need to do or fill out.

Best,
Steve

P.S. I don't think you will have to invoice them. I quit invoicing Red Robin once they put me on the payroll...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Let me just say this about payroll and I don't want to debate it.

Not a bad thing. Not a bad thing to declare all tips made!

Try to buy a house for about 400 grand, and show them some income of about 20 thousand a year. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN GUYS.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Are you sure he didn't say W-2? It sorta sounds like W-10. W-2 is the traditional employee. That is to say, you are on his payroll and he deducts the taxes, FICA, etc from your pay.
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Congrats on your new gig magicmanci15!!!!! Would you care to share with the class how you approached the place and what you did to land it?
magicmanci15
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of magicmanci15
When I went to the place the second time, The GM said they werent interested anymore, so then I offered a free example of what I do. I worked for an hour at the place, and all they got were compliments from the guests. Must be magic.

Ivan
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Congrats. Smile
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Congrats on the Gig, I think he meant W-9 form, used to declare exemptions (kids etc.) this determines the amount of federal taxes withheld from your payroll check.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Got the Gig! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL