The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Finally, Mark Wilson speaks out. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I already did, I believe. But I don't think you and I are talking about quite the same thing.

My point isn't, and never was, that one should agree with Mark Wilson because he is famous - although with someone of Mark Wilson's well-earned and maintained standing in this business, I cannot imagine listening to a carefully weighed opinion of his and simply saying, "So what?"

My point is that there is a source that is famous (due to years of work, study, knowledge, respect, etc....) that shares Magicfish's opinion. Because that person is Mark Wilson, it shows that Magicfish's opinion is not an opinion that is shared only by amateurs. It is shared by Mark Wilson (and, it would appear, other famous magicians), whose fame is built on a strong reputation.

Bear in mind, also, when the word "fame" is used with Mark Wilson as the subject, that also brings the qualities that made him famous into the mix. So it is Mark Wilson's fame (which is derived from the things listed above) that is relavent. To me. :^)

Hope that makes sense!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Chessmann

It makes perfect sense to me. But we will have to wait for a professional to confirm it. Unless you are a professional, then of course, it does make sense. Does that make any sense to you?

:)
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Fame is not a build-in guarantee to be always right.
Cards never lie
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I won't be able to share my opinion yet, because I'm not sure what it will be - until I hear what Paris Hilton has to say on the subject.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 10:17, plasticdestiny wrote:
I won't be able to share my opinion yet, because I'm not sure what it will be - until I hear what Paris Hilton has to say on the subject.

IF THIS is not perspective I don't know what is! BRAVO.

Fame is completly irrelivant. One guy one opinion. Wheather you can actually express that opinion depends on your geographic location in the world, but you still get a maximum of one.

Fame is NOT in the equasion of wheather an opinion is right or wrong.

Now Magicfish has an opinion which Mark Wilson shares. So according to the sliding scale of fame to opinion, Criss Angel and David Blaine are far more known to "people" so they must be THAT MUCH MORE RIGHT!

The arguement loses water just on its face alone. Those guys along with Copperfield obviously think what they are doing is right. So since they are more famous, and professional, and therefore more deserving of having more weight thrown to their arguement, they must be more right.

Thanks for making me see the light guys.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If folks had integrity and convictions (not spineless creatures) they would have their own opinions and not be so concerned about whether or not others are 'right'.

I stand by "TV magic is either a live report or a fiction", and so offer both Mark Wilson and Harry Potter as models. I appreciate both of them.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I wonder how many rocks I need to turn over to find "it."
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I don't think anyone believes "fame" is in the equation.

When someone says, "Fame is not in the equation" I think we all know that. Saying it over and over again is useless. It is not fame that gives an opinion weight or validity. It is the person behind the fame.

It is not Mark Wilson's fame that is the reason his opinion carries (much) more weight than mine. His experience and knowledge from years and years of work doesn't mean he is always right, but his opinion should carry much more weight than my opinion. Naturally so.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I didn't know Mark Wilson was still around.
(generally speaking).
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Mark Wilson proved that magic works on TV!
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-02-18 13:55, evolve629 wrote:
Mark Wilson proved that magic works on TV!

agreed...to quote my dad in a 1974 article:

...and magic production work, such as his design of tricks for the nationally-televised Magic Circus of Mark Wilson.

Acknowledging Wilson’s show, sponsored by the Pillsbury Company as the most
successful commerical magic production ever, Loo said, a trace of wonder in his
voice. “In one show, one show, more people see Mark Wilson than ever saw Houdini
perform, all his career put together.”

REFERENCE: http://mai-ling.net/magic.html#1974springfield

www.mai-ling.net
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 12:09, Marshall Thornside wrote:
I didn't know Mark Wilson was still around.
(generally speaking).

Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell are both very much around, and very busy with the many magical endeavors of his company Mark Wilson Productions, and with the Magic Castle (Mark is on the board of Trustees), and the Magic Castle's Magic University--which Mark runs.

I have always been a big fan of Nani--since I was about fourteen. She is still as beautiful and charming a lady as ever.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

That was a joke Whit.

www.mai-ling.net
hendoo
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of hendoo
I think we all need to be of ONE opinion. I think that is what is best for magic. One band ONE sound...just like "Drumline"...my new favorite movie. 'Cause here is the thing, I ALWAYS agree with what somebody like Bill Palmer has to say. But I rarely if ever agree with the silly things that some of these other knowitalls post. Right? ONE opinion. Find somebody to tell you what to do and do what they tell you to do. Pick one person whose opinion you will trust. Getting other people's opinions is like doing a project in sociology or something. Who cares what they think?
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
If mankind minus one were of one opinion, then mankind is no more justified in silencing the one than the one - if he had the power - would be justified in silencing mankind - John Stuart Mill
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Well, maybe I'm being a simpleton here, but the reason I think someone might cite Mark Wilson's opinion on TV magic, is not simply because he is "famous" (comparing him to Paris Hilton is a bit off base) - but maybe because, say, he had a huge career in TV magic???

Yes, his is one opinion. But it weighs heavier than the average joe because of his experience. One may disagree with it, but at least you can guarantee it's a well-thought out and informed opinion, based on his experience.

Now if someone wanted to cite Alan Thicke as an opinion maker, because he hosted a couple WGM's, I could see the rush to diminish the "just cause he was famous" factor, but come on people, I think the man has earned the right to speak on the subject. There's a reason Magic magazine is using their print space for his opinion, and not, say, Brad Pitt's.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
From one simpleton to another, Rev, I thank you!

;^)
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Experts, in our society are called that precisely because they can arrive at well formed and rational conclusions. If that is so, they should be able to explain, to a fair minded but less well informed observer the reasons for their conclusions. If they cannot, they are not very expert. If something is worth knowing and relying upon, it is worth telling.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The bits I've seen of Blaine and Angel don't do it for me - nor does Britney Spears, so I don't listen to her.

I don't think what she does is music but I don't propose legislating against her, bulldozing her records, or burning her books.

Mark Wilson and Nani Darnell are incredible entertainers. I think they have more talent in their little fingers than Mr Blaine or Angel have in their entire bodies.

But if Blaine or Angel come at Magic from a different angle, both we - and they - can decide whether to watch - or not. We cannot decide whether they are allowed to do it or not. The Soviet Union, we must remember - failed (cc: Mr Putin)
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
It was Mark Wilson and the crush I had on Nani that instilled my desire to learn magic. That said, the original post dealt with if C.A. and D.B.’s TV shows were harming magic, trough editing and exposure.

With all the criticism Mark Wilson has received for selling his magic instruction book, in major book store chains, for any one to pick up and find out the secrets of magic and thereby exposing, this is all a little ironic.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Finally, Mark Wilson speaks out. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL