We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Harry Potter to blame for the rising interest in magic? Whats everyone's opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
The editors of the Linking Rings have said it once and I will say it again, Magic, without a doubt has gone through a reniassance. the biggest rise of interest since the 1800's. But why is the public suddenly became interested in our world of magic?
The answer has to be either Harry Potter or David Blaine. Harry has definitly got us reading books again and Blaine has captured the imagination of the entire planet.
The real sad news is that this could just be a fad that people will outgrow. Once Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows make its debute in theaters as a movie, there is a good chance that, once the Potter craze is over, the publics interest in magic will fall greatly. whats your all thoughts on this?
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I think that a combination of both influences probably contributes. Will the last Harry Potter book but the death of the magic renaissance? Probably not. First, there are the other influences, Blaine, Angel, etc. Also, I think Harry Potter will remain influential through movies for a long time, like Star Wars.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-02-16 22:34, Jim Poor wrote:
I think Harry Potter will remain influential through movies for a long time, like Star Wars.

I believe you could be right. Epics such as Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars have attendancy to become legends in the world of film making, but if there ever comes along something new, the once was popular trend with come to a halt, it won't be come popular nor will it loss the popularity that it gained, it will stick with the generation that lived it and become a part of history when a new generation rises. (example: Jurassic Park was popular with those that grew up in the years before 2002, those that aren't included in that year hardly know what the film is about. (( I will be watching Jurassic Park sometime in the year 2020 and my offspring will ask what the big deal is))).

Posted: Feb 16, 2007 11:07pm
The Traditional Magicians Wands ( the black wands with white tips) have lost interest in magicians now since Harry Potter. Now everyone is using wands that add a little mystic aurora to them. it has gotten to the point where I look at my old Traditional Wand and say "what the heck?" the new wizard wands have got my interest now.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I repeat this every other seconds on this forum and wrote a book (in French-Compendium Sortilegionis)) about the subject. Harry Potter, the Lord of the Rings and other movies have recreated an interest for magic and specifically the genre of bizarre/storytelling magic. Nor Blaine of David Copperfield have the same success as HP and the vision of magic within our audience, definitively changes.
But it will be a mistake to copy the image of HP, it's both too late and irrelevant.
I seriously advice to explore the world of dark and adult fairy tales, legends and myth now...
And not only magic changes, but also the interest poker/cheating demonstration with the arrival of WSOP, WPT, EPT and other competitions on television. Have you seen the last James Bond ?
And mentalism with... well it's in Hauntiques.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3080 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Never underrate the influence of Harry Potter.

When I moved to Germany in 1995, I had trouble finding a decend pumpkin for Halloween. These days, when Halloween comes around I not only see pumpkins all over the place, I see Halloween decorations and costumes all over the place as well. This year I even had Trick-or-Treaters. No kidding.

Now, you could say that there is some other cause at work. But what would it be? I say it's the influence of Harry Potter.

As for magic: well, I have also yet to meet a single person here who knows who David Blaine is. And if I were to run into someone who did, it would almost certainly be because of his stunts and not because of magic.

So, IMO, chalk up the blame to HP.

Gruss,
Jeff
Goettingen
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
The strange thing is - in my most humble opinion - is that fantasy-readers (a group that grew in number since HP and LOTR) know a lot more about "the magical worldview" than most magicians do. I think this is just a tad embarrassing, although many magicians will shout out that they don't need to know about all this esoteric stuff... They're doing entertaining tricks, right. Right.
But, since the title "magician" is used, I think it would be a natural thing to know about magic.
So, I believe the curator is right... magicians should explore the world of fairytales, mythology etc...
I would recommend the enchanted world series by Time Life books as a good head start.
And... Since I do understand French, I'm off to look for the compendium sortilegionis...
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
I think that the growing interest in fantasy and escapism has more to do with our current culture's reaction to more complex technologies, the speed of communication of information, and some really scary "realities" that we see on a day to day basis.

HP is a part of that wave, but not the force that generated the wave.

Chris
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 07:28, Ringo wrote:

So, I believe the curator is right... magicians should explore the world of fairytales, mythology etc...
I would recommend the enchanted world series by Time Life books as a good head start.

I just got a wonderful idea, why don't us as magicians create our own world, in other words we make our own goverment, our own school systems, our own vocabulary, our own history, invent our own sports and set up a community away from "muggles".

-Guy Jarrett

Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Magicians in general (not counting most bizarrists, I hope) are woefully ignorant of magic(k). Of course, many of them are woefully ignorant of magic (conjuring) itself. Magick is not illogical; it has its own laws and consistency, and I believe this should always be taken into account when performing.

The beauty of the Harry Potter stories is the consistency of its theoretical, that is, magical, background.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 10:20, ibm_usa wrote:
I just got a wonderful idea, why don't us as magicians create our own world, in other words we make our own goverment, our own school systems, our own vocabulary, our own history, invent our own sports and set up a community away from "muggles".

http://www.surnateum.org is my answer to that...
Within the walls of my museum lies another world, another History of different humans, a world parallel to the world of muggles.

Posted: Feb 17, 2007 2:08pm
Ringo, you can find the Compendium here: http://www.cc-editions.fr/livres-de-magi......&y=0
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Thanks, Curator !
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I wouldn't dismiss Blaine too much in the equation, nor Criss Angel even.
I remember the days after the first couple of Blaine specials, people were talking about it at work - I mean, really talking. I don't recall any of that reaction from a Doug Henning or David Copperfield special. People just don't relate to that big distant stage anymore, it's too remote, too suspect, it's too lofty, too.. elitist, even. Look at rock'n'roll in past 15 years; gone are the hair glam days and outlandish clothing, it went back to the grunge/garage band look, where everyone is pretty much equal, and even though grunge is, itself, a bit passé, remnants still remain.

More truthfully though, I think it's a number of simultaneous factors: Blaine, Harry Potter, C. Angel, the Internet, etc.. all combined at roughly the same time period.
I sort of disagree with the technology angle however - technology has been rapidly advancing for decades without generating any interest in fantasy, only SciFi; however, it might contribute to magic and fantasy sticking around more; wait til people see "eInk" and stuff in person, the first thing they'll think of is "The Daily Prophet". ;-)
I welcome the change, especially in wands.. I never liked those black white-tipped things.
One thing I have noticed: almost all the kids books now in the book store are fantasy based, it's just amazing.. Harry Potter, I believe, can take credit for that.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
If it ain't Harry, Criss or David, it has to be the sudden increase of magic being featured in movies. Lets take a look at the films that include magic
Films:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix
Click
The Prestige
Night at the museum
The Illusionist
Arrested development (TV show)
Now you see it ( Walt Disney production)
My date with the Presidents Daughter

so the media must be 80% of the problem, but what about the other 20%?

-Guy Jarrett

Doriangray
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Doriangray
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 03:09, The Curator wrote:

(...) But it will be a mistake to copy the image of HP, it's both too late and irrelevant.
I seriously advice to explore the world of dark and adult fairy tales, legends and myth now...
And mentalism with... well it's in Hauntiques.

Yes ! It's what I work on !!! Adult Fairy tales.
Even if read your Books dear Curator, I asking my self if the audience of movies and books will paid a performer at home to see fantastic magic?
I would like perform at customer's home for 5 at 7 guests ( Seance style). My show will have a strong style and people don't have trailer (as for the movie) to know if they want see this story and/or could pay a such show (seem often too expensive for them)?

I think I will do what Docc Hilford advice: make a small exhibition.

And I know that with the per 2 per and all numeric copies, the lives show will regain interest.
As David Bowie said: the artiste of the coming century's lives will be the main incoming; the albums only a link with artists and audience still the next concert where the particular artiste work will be share and..be payed.
Recording will be easy to have, being cheap, and real wealthy entertainment will be the live.

But again are peoples ready to trust and payed the price for Bizarre Magic, not as divination or spirit seance, but as theater show? Like a Live Burton movie.

The Bizzare magicians know what's the reality of the market. They are in activity. But me in my workshop and my prototype show...some time I doubt.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 17:00, ibm_usa wrote:
If it ain't Harry, Criss or David, it has to be the sudden increase of magic being featured in movies. Lets take a look at the films that include magic
Films:
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

*snip*

But you just listed two Harry Potter films right off the bat !
You can't "include" what you just "excluded".. (" If it ain't Harry " ..) Smile

Point taken though, there does seem to be more general interest, especially with Prestige and The Illusionist.
You might also want to throw the Lord of the Rings and Narnia films in there.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007-02-18 17:06, Doriangray wrote:
But again are peoples ready to trust and payed the price for Bizarre Magic, not as divination or spirit seance, but as theater show? Like a Live Burton movie.

At least, they pay me... far better than any table hopper in Europe.
There are so many venues for strange storytelling magic, a lot more than table hopping. Most of the time I play both classical close-up/parlour magic and storytelling/bizarre magic during the same evening but not at the same time.
And my shows pack small and play big (at least most of them), so I can easily travel by plane with a minimum props... Or do large scale exhibition of part of the Surnateum collections.
Doriangray
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Doriangray
Ok.
That's a really interesting subject.
The format of the show depend of the Time/Area/Audience.
So in the evening, where and when are you playing? At customer's home? Hall Theater or small theater? After the dinner?
In Europe? In U.S?
What are your conditions?
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Private parties, at the client's home.
Otherwise, usually in a very nice setting: private room in a castle or an old house, small theaters, ...
I always have my own space and the guests come to my show(s). There are so many venues and possibilities that's impossible to resume.
Doriangray
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Doriangray
OK.
That could seem odd but that help me.
That show me it's possible...the path.

Most of them contact you by The Surnateum, I guess.

(Thank to Ze Konservatif).
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Curator,
I'm thrilled to read that there is a market for such performances. I just wonder how you started out...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Harry Potter to blame for the rising interest in magic? Whats everyone's opinion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL