We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Harry Potter to blame for the rising interest in magic? Whats everyone's opinion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 12:27, Mystician wrote:

Pardon me, but personally I think you are looking at it entirely backwards, from a bizarrist' point of view.
You'd rather be compared to a known trickster than a "real"(albeit fictional) wizard ?

I'd rather be compared to someone fictional who had real magic powers, myself.
I'll bet most of us here would. The last thing I'd want to be compared to is a stereotypical stage illusionist, no matter how famous.
Why are we into magic, anyway ? For fame and fortune and glory ?
Put it this way: would you rather be remembered for being magical, or clever? I see a distinct difference, though the two can certainly overlap.

I'll probably step on someones' toes here, but to me, Stage Illusionists just are not "magical", they're clever. No one in their right mind, no matter how powerful the suspension of disbelief, ever believes for a nanosecond that someone has just been sawed in half alive, for example; they applaud the imagery, the trickery, and the cleverness of the illusion. That's it. It's a very different level.
There, the "mystery" lies not in the contemplation of the unexplored secrets of nature and the possibilities of forces yet undiscovered or uncategorized, but solely in, "How'd he do that ? That was amazing looking.."
If that is what you're into, fine, but it sure isn't what I'd call bizarre magic.
I'd take it as a complement to be called a Harry Potter. At least he was a "real" wizard, in a magilogical sense.

I would have to agree with you when you look at it that way. At the time we were just a bit shocked and felt that she was reffering to us as 12 year old boys who go to wizard school. It did make us feel like geeks, but I spose that is what most females first think when they see a magician.

However as you said, and what we didn't realise at the time, that if she was reffering to our tricks as being on par with a wizard who performs 'real' magic, then I would take it as a complete compliment. Which may well have been what she intended the comment to mean, however it was just intepreted differntly by us at the time. But I do agree with you, that I would prefer to be compared to a real magician rather than just a trickster.

As much as I love illusion you are correct in saying they are just clever, they present puzzles to fool their audience and make them ponder over. Altough I think illusionists can still be 'magical', becuase for that split second you want to believe that is it actually happening, illusionists make you believe that nothing that is impossible and that is pretty magical to most. So to say illusionists are not magical is not entirely true.
just my opinion.

Hagan.
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Once again, the keyword is adventure, more than magic. HP, LOTR and other won't exist without this primal concept.
Blaine and others don't live in a world of adventure and conflicts to be solved, they just live in the mundane trying to be odd. In Europe, Blaine, Angel and C° aren't known by the public, but HP is.
If Quidditch was only about flying a broomstick, no one will care about it more than 2 seconds; it will be movie special effects without any real kind of interest.
That's why storytelling is so important and makes our kind of magic so different.
Puzzles versus a world of adventures, mysteries, the unknown...
Logic versus emotions.
The choice is entirely ours.
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 19:58, Bill Ligon wrote:

Perhaps Harry otter doesn't inspire some to perform magic, but inspires many to appreciate magick.

indeed... the climate has changed... For instance, when I go shopping for children's books (I have two kids and storytelling is very important to us) and I look at the books, well... there are books about kiddie werewolves, teenage vampires, witchcraft schools, etc...
The creatures who were "evil" in my childhood are now utterly delightful and fascinating. The same thing goes for sorcerers and witches. In TV-series like Buffy, charmed etc... witchcraft plays an important role. In "judging Amy" the prejudices agains wicca were taccled. There's an open-mindedness that just wasn't there before. I wouldn't go so far to say that HP caused this phenomenon, but Rowling surely contributed to it...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Rowling is the tip of a gigantic iceberg that's floating around us for years.
She emerges and opened the way for the hidden part.
Isn't magical adventure about cryptic underworlds, hidden temples, mysterious destinations, strange people...
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
173 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
Blane started it but Chris took it to a new plane . I see day in and day out kids coming in with there dads asking for the trick Chris did or how did Chris do that . Never once did a kid come in to the magic shop and asked if we have the trick Harry Potter did . So from seeing all the kids that asked I have to say (and I wish I didn't) but Chris brings magic to the masses. They watch H P and say that's cool but with Chris they want to do it.

P.s for the record I'm not a big fan Of Chrises TV show
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
"Isn't magical adventure about cryptic underworlds, hidden temples, mysterious destinations, strange people..." said Curator

...and White Owls say I who lacks the proper permit.

(No...not the Cigar.)
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Very true, Curator.. without adventure, it's all boring.

Hagan, sorry to come off kinda strong on you there, it was a rough morning. Smile

Rev Moonchild Moonie Moonpie man, Smile I agree, I haven't heard one person yet come into Johns' for that "Harry Potter" trick; but then again, it's surely had to have hadsome effect, otherwise Andrew Mayne wouldn't have come out with Wizard School 1 & 2 DVDs.
hmmm.. both of which I bought from John.. so .. there ya go ! Smile
I think Nal nailed it on that count.. it hasn't inspired magicians directly per se, but it has seemed to make the general public more "magic aware" or something.. along with Blaine and CA, of course, but they influence magicians more directly.

You might be getting more work as a result of Harry Potter though , no ?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 15:57, Rev.moonchild wrote:
Blane started it but Chris took it to a new plane . I see day in and day out kids coming in with there dads asking for the trick Chris did or how did Chris do that . Never once did a kid come in to the magic shop and asked if we have the trick Harry Potter did . So from seeing all the kids that asked I have to say (and I wish I didn't) but Chris brings magic to the masses. They watch H P and say that's cool but with Chris they want to do it.

P.s for the record I'm not a big fan Of Chrises TV show

I didn't think that Midnight Monster Hop was on in your market...or are you confusing me and my show with something else? Rest assured, that even though I do have a TV show, it is not mine *per se* as I am core character but not the host and I am definitely no Angel ;-)

Chris
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 01:40, The Curator wrote:
Once again, the keyword is adventure, more than magic. HP, LOTR and other won't exist without this primal concept.

Well put. I can't speak for Potter, as I have only read the books and not any serious dissertations on them. But the wonder of Tolkien strikes even deeper, and in this sense is more critical to magic(k) then we allude. Tolkien's purpose was to give Britain its own mythology. All the elements we see as British myth stem from Nordic, Germanic, Pagan and Roman influence. (Ironically many of the characters and groups share these influences, one can not look at the Riders of Rohan and not see influences from Norse and German culture, but he makes it clear they are from other countries. The hobbits and I would guess the line of Isildure are the "British" elements, esp the hobbits as they are the true heroes of the epic)
But his goal was mythic , epic lore, that borders on religious history (one cultures myth, etc.) and who can deny that magic((k) is not a key to that, wether it be wizards staffs, healing herbs, turning water to wine, slaying dragons, they all elude to a higher sense. That is what real magic is, and what many of us try to impart a sense of awe, wonder and possibility. If we do it through a well made tale and great effects and no sense of "I am only a guy who does few cool things" to paraphrase Penn and Teller, we can suspend that belief even more. And hopefully inspire something deep, archetypal and meaningful, not just revealing a card that was picked from a deck, with a sly smarmy smile.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I know, I know, this is tangential, but...

My kid, offspring of an unrepentantly incurable bibliophile, was struggling to learn how to read. There was simply (horrors!) little interest in the written word in his seven-year-old noggin. Then Pottermania struck, and suddenly literacy became the key that unlocked the secret world of wizardry.

Said kid still has no particular interest in hocus-pocus, but bet me whether there's Magic in Harry Potter...

Leland

[P.S. -- and less tangentially: When the last Potter tome debuted, I approached a number of local bookstores to offer a themed Magic show. I kid you not, one response was: "What would a Magic show have to do with Harry Potter?"]
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
LOL !
Leland, you're kidding ! They actually asked that ?
Well, that's very telling I guess. Many people still only see magic as that stereotypical tux/tails |top hat |rabbit |sequined-girls type stuff.
Pity.
It almost makes me hate Houdin for it.
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Leland, that story sums it all up, but it shouldn't be like that...
To paraphrase Charles Cameron 'it's time for a magic revival' (although he called it "gothic")...
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2007

[P.S. -- and less tangentially: When the last Potter tome debuted, I approached a number of local bookstores to offer a themed Magic show. I kid you not, one response was: "What would a Magic show have to do with Harry Potter?"]

When the fifth Harry Potter was published, we transform a top Brussel bookstore (in Galeries de la Reine)into a Diagonalley shop with artefacts from the Surnateum.
The new name of the shop was "Surnateum Museum Shop".
No one make any other comment than Waooooooooooooooow.
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Waooooooooooooooow Smile
(wish I had known about it !)
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
173 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
Don't get me wrong .HP changed what kids think Wizzards look like . Made Wizzard theme magic shows big again. I even dress a kid up in the HP rope ,scraff and glasses when they come up to help me in my kids show . But I have to say it's blane and C.A. that makes Kids WANT to learn magic . I see it first hand every week .

And yes Hp had an Impact . But Blane and A.C had a bigger impact making kids want to learn the Art of Magic .
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
Leland -- I performed at a bookstore for the last opening, and it was great. When we wrapped up, I heard that another nearby bookstore had some magicians, so I headed over there. It was a standard illusion show, with garish props, tux, tails, and sequins. I asked my self the same question that the bookstore owner asked you; "what can this possibly have to do with Harry Potter?"

Dave
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3829 Posts

Profile of The Curator
HP changes more than "how wizards look". HP reintroduces a demand for a more poetic, mysterious and fantastic form of magic.
HP changes the way we should look at magic. And it's not a matter of funny robes and strange hats.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2007-02-20 15:56, Jaz wrote:
Harry Potter is fantasy and has very little, if anything, to do with inspiring people to perform magic. My 12 yr. old grand daughter has the books, posters and other Potter products but has no desire to perform magic.

In my opinion it's Blaine who initially inspired folks to learn magic by bringing close up and impromptu type magic into living rooms.

I would rather have a young magician inspired by Harry Potter then to have them inspired by Blaine, Because Harry is fiction, Blaine does stuff that oridinary magicians can't accomplish. I would appreciate it if people could tell the differenc between reality and fiction. Blaine, he does dangerous stunts, a bad role model if you ask me.

Blaine-the envy of us all.
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2007-02-22 15:07, The Curator wrote:
HP changes more than "how wizards look". HP reintroduces a demand for a more poetic, mysterious and fantastic form of magic.
HP changes the way we should look at magic. And it's not a matter of funny robes and strange hats.

Agreed. Well, actually, does it change the way Wizards look, really ? I thought they always looked like that ! It just makes them fashionable again. Or maybe it does make them look more organized and respectable, what with Hogwarts and "coming of age" and the Ministry of Magic and all.
(Frankly, I'd trust Goblins better than I trust the blighters that run my bank !) Smile
But yeah, HP has brought back the "real" magic to magic; the mystery, the universe hidden within ours, and so forth.
I'd give anything to be even just a mudblood ! (Hermione kicks arse, after all)
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've looked at pictures of Merlin, Gandolf, and Dumbledore. They all look alike to me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Is Harry Potter to blame for the rising interest in magic? Whats everyone's opinion? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL