The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Biggest / best tip? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Tonight, one of the tables I performed for was a 7-top of 3 adults & 4 kids. The kids were enthralled, but I came away empty-handed. Of course, I'm paid a flat rate by the house, but I love getting tips. About 1 hour later, the grampa from that table found me, pressed a bill into my hand, said 'thanks' and walked off. It was a $100 bill! That was an all-time first for me. Mabye some of you in the biz longer have had that or better happen?
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1084 Posts

Profile of Nash
Not gonna lie I used to work at a pretty gangsta frequented bar.
THe week after I almost got shot as an innocent bystander at a parking lot gangshooting... I got a $100 tip from a different gangsta fellow.

needless to say I don't work there anymore.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 05:31, Nash wrote:
Not gonna lie I used to work at a pretty gangsta frequented bar.
THe week after I almost got shot as an innocent bystander at a parking lot gangshooting... I got a $100 tip from a different gangsta fellow.

needless to say I don't work there anymore.

Wooooord. Glad you are ok.
Magic_Steve
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1476 Posts

Profile of Magic_Steve
My biggest tip was my private private gig. It was my first, and definately wasn't my last. Other than that, the biggest cash tip I recieved was $10.

Congrats on your tip!

Best,
Steve
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
I've been tipped $20s from working for a lot of local business men and women, but never been tipped $100! Congrats on that one.
INFANTINO
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of INFANTINO
I usually don't push for tips. If the customers feel that your performance is another thing they have to pay for, they might not come back. A family with 3 or 4 kids have enough things they have to pay for without another 5 or ten dollars on top of that for a magic show at a local restaurant. Better to push for a private show where you can make much for than a 10 dollar tip (or even a hundred if you price your private shows right).
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I've been tipped a $50.00 bill on two different ocassions. I never look at the tip, I just slide it into my pocket and take a peak at the end of the night - either in the car or when I get home. What a pleasant surprise to find a fifty amongst all the ones and fives!

Lyndel
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1603 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
Quote:
On 2007-02-17 12:12, INFANTINO wrote:
I usually don't push for tips. If the customers feel that your performance is another thing they have to pay for, they might not come back. A family with 3 or 4 kids have enough things they have to pay for without another 5 or ten dollars on top of that for a magic show at a local restaurant. Better to push for a private show where you can make much for than a 10 dollar tip (or even a hundred if you price your private shows right).

Spot on.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2124 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I don't PUSH for tips either, but I still love getting them, not just for monetary reasons, but for the compliment factor. One cool tip I got once was this: After doing a show for a table with a 3-year old girl, the waiter brought me something from the table after theyd left. It was a disney pin, wrapped (actually 'crumpled' would be a better term) and a very scrawly 'thank you' written in crayon.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I never push for tips, I always politely decline and let them know "I'm taken care of by the house" If they then push on me again I graciously accept. The largest I recieved was around christmas time last year when they pushed it in my hands and said they wanted me to have a "magical christmas" as well and they gave me 100$. Very cool. I've gotten many crayon written notes from kids. Those are great.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
I get LOTS of offers for drinks but never dollars...

I did have a lady call me cheekey and slap me upside the head once, not sure how much that was worth. As a reaction,I thought it was priceless.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
While performing at restaurants, I have received $100 dollar tips on many occasions. At a private events, I have had many $300-$350 tips.

Usually, they don't tip. I especially the ones that S-L-O-W-L-Y open their wallets but never quite get the money out until after I leave. Or the ones that put the tip on the table without saying a word about it. Since it was not offered, I just walk away. I usually here them take credit for the tip they never gave by telling their guests "I GUESS HE doesn't WANT THE TIP, HE JUST WALKED AWAY"

While tipping is nice, it is not why I work in restaurants. I just find human behavior interesting.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
The biggest tip I've received so far is $5. Like many people stated, I don't push for tips. I do accept them though, under certain conditions however. If a customer asks me if I accept tips, I tell them the best tip they can give me is to let the manager know they enjoyed the magic; if, however, they just hand me the money, or shove it in my chop cup, I'm not going to refuse.

I guess the best tip would've been from a friend that drove three hours to see me work, and bought me dinner.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I worked a place where tips were heavy and frequent. I never had to push for them. $20.00 bills were the norm, but $50.00 and $100.00 bills were not uncommon. I was making a grand a week at the place.

Doctors, lawyers and other well-to-dos frequented the place. Also, several of our clients were bookies. Tuesday was when they collected (after Saturday, Sunday, Monday football games). The "sugar" was spent freely on Tuesday nights. Dom, Moet, and Tattinger flowed like rivers. I was always called to entertain at the tables, often a few times a night.

These groups came and stayed the entire night. We took care of them, and they took care of us.

Oh, and what MAKMagic said about crayon written notes... those and homemade cards are GREAT!!!

But... The BEST tip I ever got came from a woman who bought me a rose after I did magic for her and a friend. We have been married now for almost 16 years!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Good advice: Never take a tip while working a brit-mila!

Lyndel
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 08:04, Lyndel wrote:

Good advice: Never take a tip while working a brit-mila!

Lyndel

Thank you and goodnight! Smile
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I'm here all week! Try the veal!

Lyndel
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2007-02-21 19:24, Lyndel wrote:
I'm here all week! Try the veal!

Lyndel

Might as well, it's the only kosher thing on the whole *** menu. Smile
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Besides not taking a tip at a brit mila, don't take a front row seat.

Getting back to the thread, got a few $50 tips.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
My biggest tip was an extra hundred dollars in the form of a check, last friday night after performing the cups and balls in a local bar/club/organization I was tipped 3 twenty dollar bills.

Mostly I usually get tipped a one, a five or a ten...but never a twenty let alone three in one performance.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Biggest / best tip? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL