The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cold Weather affected Doves? can it be? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Hello all...got a quick question to see if anyone else is battling this issue:

The weather here in the south has been pretty much back and forth this year (not a normal type thing) with some days being cold, and then the next being warmer (which could cause for illness). The issue I am having is during shows on the colder days, I get the doves out and let them fly around to "warm up". (Sort of like stretching the muscles before a big race). On the colder days, this process takes longer than the norm of course because the weather. What I am noticing however is that during the show, the doves are in a sense "lazy" during productions and don't look as "lively" and these are indoor shows. They perch too fast and "puff up", and look weak. However, when its warmer, they are full of energy and more aggresive. Is there anything that can be done in this case, or just let nature be nature.

Dave, I know you are up in the freezing part of the country, so how do yours react?
Bob, you're in my neck of the woods, so how do yours react?
Shaner, you're up in canada, and its GOT to be cold up there!

Just trying to see if this is just a fluke. I have been doing dove magic for a long time, and this is the first notice I have taken of this. They seem lately that they would rather walk than fly.

Whatcha think?
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
How funny was just about to post same question, well not exactly same, but should I bring doves insidetobight? I'm in Miami- its 42 F now maybe colder at night - but weatherunderground says 40 F

yesterday I left them out- think it was about 46 F, but don't know if I should bring them in tonight.

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Even in San Jose California, it got down to 30's few weeks ago, I decided to bring the doves in the garage overnight even though they may do ok in subzero temp, just make sure their water supply doesn't freeze up. The rule I follow is when I feel really cold, I bring them in so I can sleep better knowing they are OK in the garage.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Even Phoenix had a freeze a few weeks ago. I covered the cages with a sheet at night. Everyone was fine the next morning.
Max
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I know doves are hardy and cousins to pigeons. However, with my outdoor cage setup, I always cover the cage with thick plastic sheeting and/or a blanket in the winter and put a brooder light in the cage. I notice the doves always perch near the brooder light.

In cold weather, birds fluff out and do seem slower. For that matter, so do I! (I really dislike the cold. Give me Hawaii and a beach any day!)

Warmth is especially important for older doves with arthritic feet. Doves get arthritis on occasion, especially if the perches are all the same diameter.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tom,

Are your doves molting?

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
They are molting a little, but not much....today was 70, and they were jumping around and full of life, sunbathing, and totally different....they seemed 'excited' to go through the routines today. Dunno, maybe just a fluke?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My doves wanted to play today too. They can smell spring coming!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4982 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
As Autumn said, doves are hardy and can withstand temperature changes but in cold weather, it is a good idea to cover the cage (if it's outside)with plastic as she said. In doors, like in a garage, the plastic isn't necessary. If it's really subzero weather, I run a small electric heater in the garage just to keep the chill down a bit but it isn't necessary.

Jaime, I had to laugh at your post saying the temperature was down to 40 F. Don't misunderstand, I'm not laughing at you, just the statement. It doesn't go up to 42 F where I am between December and March usually. I have minus zero degrees through those months.

Tom, from you original post, it sounds like you excercise the birds before your show when it's cold. This is a technique used by many to purposely slow down their birds. If you don't excersise them the same way when it's warmer, that could be your answer. They're tired after the excercise and just want to rest which looks like they are being sluggish.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cold Weather affected Doves? can it be? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL