The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration, where do I find a replacement box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I have the original matchbox penetration which is great. The brass block is way thicker than the knock offs. Only one problem, I can't find a matchbox to replace the one it came with years ago. It is starting to get pretty ratty and I would really like to replace it. Anyone out there replaced their box and know where I can do the same? Thanks.

-Paul
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Paso sorry brother, but where did you get your block, out of quickness I think I bought a knock off, maybe its me but after I bang the box on the table ala Garret Thomas, I can see the descrepency.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I bought mine at hank lee's years ago. The knock off are quite a bit thinner which makes it less impressive I suppose but easier to replace the box.
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
I use the box from children's staples the kind that come with the tiny toy staplers you can find them at dollar stores and places like that. I find it is just the right size. I also change the patter to include the fact that it is a box of staples. "I'm going to put this needle through this box of staples without breaking any of the rows of staples." This gives them a mental picture of the staples in the box, but they think the needle could go between rows. You do the penitration, then say, "that's pretty cool if it really were a box of staples, but it's not" take out the brass, "it's a solid block of brass!"
People just can't wrap their minds around it after thinking it could go between the rows then finding no gaps.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I appreciate the help. I am shocked nobody out there has had to deal with this issue and been able to find a replacement matchbox. Thanks paisa23 and mrmystic.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
How much bigger is the original that any matchbox wouldnt work?
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
Any extra space makes people think you slid the block over and went beside it. The block needs to fill the box, even if you have to cut down the box.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Paisa23,
The original is about the same as the generic I think, just about twice as thick. This thickness is what makes it hard to find a matchbox that fits it.
Sir Pharaul
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Sir Pharaul
I am having problems finding a matchbox replacement too. Has anyone found one?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I use a Diamond match box from Kroger. There's about half dozen "penny match boxes" sealed in a package. It's just a little taller than the original box, but it works fine.

Jim
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Why not make your own box, maybe print it out on the old computer with your name and logo.

You can also wrap a bill around the block instead of using a matchbox.
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1676 Posts

Profile of mystre71
I've been searching for the original matchbox penetration for some time now. Anyone know where to find one, or perhaps someone might want to let theirs go ?

Thanks,
joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 20:23, Sir Pharaul wrote:

I have replaced the matchbox with a box that I made myself out of stiff paper. This has the additional benefit of being exactly the right size for the block and it has a cut-out on the opening side which guarantees swift operation. I keep a template in a Word file so it is very easy to prepare. I would be happy to send the template to anyone who's interested.
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 20:23, Sir Pharaul wrote:

I have replaced the matchbox with a box that I made myself out of stiff paper. This has the additional benefit of being exactly the right size for the block and it has a cut-out on the opening side which guarantees swift operation. I keep a template in a Word file so it is very easy to prepare. I would be happy to send the template to anyone who's interested.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Mr. Mystic,
what version of the trick do you have? I am thinking of getting it.
Thanks,
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Hi Jack,

I think I own the same version that Paul has. I bought mine from MJMMagic for a little over $80. I'd heard too many bad things about the cheap knock offs so I bought the nice one. The match box it comes in is slightly larger than a Diamond match box. I'm able to get it into a Diamond but it makes the sides bulge out and it fits very tight which makes it a little tricky to switch it out if you want to later in your routine. It also makes it possible to for soemone with a sharp eye to possibly see inside the matchbox and possibly even spot the 'gimmick' from the side. For this reason, I'm also looking for the right sized matchbox. From the little searching I've done so far, I think that the supplied matchbox may be a standard European size. I'm also considering printing up some custom match boxes with my info on them that I can give away after doing the 'card to matchbox' routine ala Garret Thomas.
Mike
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Mike,
Great idea on printing boxes with your info.
I have the (gulp) Magic Makers version. The gimmick is invisible on it, but the
"move" before handing out the box and block to spectators is a little...
let's just say it's a little tough to do smoothly. I don't want to tip the gimmick even though most of you own it or know what it is.
It won't be long before I have to replace the box, so I may try to make my own too.
Thanks
Jack Skalon

fallout
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fallout
Jack,

I'm not exactly sure what problem you may be having in the move before handing it out, but many users have had issues with there being a noise. If this is the problem, one way to get around this (and this is a Garrett Thomas idea) is to tap the matchbox (hard) on the table or surface several times and say something like "there definitely is something in there..." Those hard taps may reset the gimmick.
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Ahhh! That's a great idea. My problem is that the gimmick doesn't reset easily. To me, it seems that it is obvious as to what I am doing.
Thanks
Jack Skalon

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I bought the gimmick after watching Garrett Thomas's video and that's the method I always use to reset it also. (Tapping it hard on the table). I have yet to have this raise any suspicion in anyone's mind. Garret then progresses to a stunning card to matchbox trick which is the whole reason I bought the gimmick. It really blows people away!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Matchbox Penetration, where do I find a replacement box? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL