The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cup Problem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I have just bought a nice new set of cups and balls. It is a combo set with a chop cup and two standard cups.

In last set the chop cup m****t was not very powerful and yet it worked fine for my closeup performance.

The new set I have bought is a Morrissey's set and the m****t is much more powerful and I find that I am slamming the cup down so hard and yet its still sometimes sticking.

Does anyone have any suggestions that may help. I like the set and don't particulary want to take it back so what should I do. Is there any one who has had this problem?

I am using 1 inch crochet balls.

thanks,

m@t
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
As you can't change the cup, you have to change the balls. Take out the m*t in the ball and replace it with a piece of steel. this should solve all your problems.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
Mr A
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Mr A
Also try to bring the cup into contact with the table or mat at a slight angle, sometimes this helps.
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
Find heavier balls.

Mat
kasper777
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of kasper777
Do it all by sleight of hand.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I used to think you could buy everything on-line but cups and balls and chop cups should be bought in person where you can try the ones you are buying. I think the only exception would be something like the Loomis/Riser set where they require 100%
satisfaction from their customers. There are several other manufacturers and dealers that do this too.

I would write the dealer and explain your problem. If they won't help, vote for them with your wallet and take your buisness to someone who will.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Isramagia
View Profile
Regular user
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
114 Posts

Profile of Isramagia
Sometimes the manner that contact is made on the mat makes a difference. In other words, a smooth handling with the cup being placed directly down helps. I'm probably not describing this well but see if how you place the cup down releases the ball easier.
Izzy
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Thanks guys for all your help, I am going to try all the suggestions- thanks again

m@t
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I've got a drawer full of one dozen sets of balls for the Chop Cup from Morrissey. Some of them are way too powerful... some are way too weak. They just vary all over the place and only a couple of sets work properly.
Since you use the phrase: "...take it back..." I assume you got them from a Magic Shop. I'd take it back. Many shops have a whole drawerful of the chop cup balls, and you can keep trying different balls in the cup until you find one that works well.
When we started to work on the Riser/Loomis Micro Chop Cups, we had plans to buy the balls from a manufacture. After a lot of shopping around, we decided we would have to make out own to get the quality we want. The balls are manufactured by Jim Riser, and tested in his shop. He sends me all of the Cups and Balls because I keep the inventory and ship all orders. (Whether they are ordered from Jim's Web Site or mine.) When I pack the orders, I test the balls in the cups again. Still, if a customer is not satisfied, we'll replace the balls, or the cup, or both.
Most magic stores are also concerned about the quality of the things they sell, and will work with you until you get a good match of the balls with your cup. Good Luck.
Dennis Loomis
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloomis/dai.html
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
shobley
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis
81 Posts

Profile of shobley
I would recommend replacing the cup at a 45 degree angle. Another technique is to replace the cup flat, but introduce some lateral motion as you do it.

Paul Daniels uses this technique a lot in his chop cup and it prevents the ball from detaching, hitting the table and bouncing back up again, which can happen.

Steve
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Thanks guys- I have found something else that works quite well. The close up mats a quite spongey and were stopping the cup from hitting the table well. I have covered a block of wood with thin felt and this is working well.

I am also trying out the 45 degree thing aswell. Smile

Mat Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Cup Problem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL