The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A presentation idea for comments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Not sure if this is the right area but anyway here goes an idea I am playing with.

A banquet type setting with ten tables of ten people each.

The food has been served and tables are cleared witing for the MC to begin the evenings events, all of a sudden on cue, one person at each table (that has been there all along chatting with the table)remove their jackets and stand up.

All ten of these people now standing is a magician, dressed the same, the music begins and a deck of cards is displayed in unison.

They all break into a routine (all doing the same routine) involving coins, cards and some fire (flash paper)leaving the remnants of each effect on the table (signed card, torn card, centavo, sponge ball)after each effect.

They perform 8 effects (10-15 min), finishing at the same time and turn and leave (disappear), nothing else said, leaving everything on the table for examination and discussion.

What are your thoughts on this idea of a performance?
How magical of an experience would this offer?
Would it generate a lot of coversation after the group of Magi left?
Would it be remembered?

Just an idea of creating memorable magical experiences.
I am a Sankey addict....please, help me!

My name is Will, my company is Blink, an experience in transposition.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
It's an interesting idea, but it seems to me that it would be exceptionally difficult to choreograph, especially if it ran perfectly synchronized, which it would have to to meet your criteria; pattering would also be an issue, everyone would drown each other out. I tried something similar with a friend, but we drowned each other out, even saying the same exact thing.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I agree. This would be interesting, but would be a logistical nightmare.

The performers would have to be all very well rehearsed to keep up with each other - but even being well rehearsed wouldn't guarantee unforseen incidents.

Because of the nature of close-up magic, there's always a chance that a spectator will not promptly return a card when asked to, cooperate as anticipated, or understand directions - thus throwing the timing off...

Lyndel
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
That's all assuming it is done with speaking roles. Choreographed to music it stands a better chance, but it still seems like a financial disaster. Clever, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
The timing I think, during the performance is not so important. I kinda like the fact that ten pieces of flash paper would be going on at relatively different times. This adds the " hey he is doing the same thing over there, I gotta ask my friend at that table about the effect afterwards".

The magi would stand silnt untill all were finished.

Yes, the coreography would be tough but so was The Phantom of the Opera and they pulled it off.

Possible yes, practice tons, worthwhile financially as a performance, definately.

More thoughts would be great.

Will//

dgiancaspro
View Profile
Regular user
New York City
117 Posts

Profile of dgiancaspro
I could see this working with a manipulation routine. This would require zero audience participation which is going to be one of the big variables in getting things synchronized.

Dave
"Mommy when I grow up I want to be a magician"
"Oh sweety you can't do both."
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Interesting...
multiple manipulators.

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13401 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Certainly interesting and creative.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Interesting and creative but I don't think it is a workable idea. Reminds me too much of the hidden stripper scenerio and also why would anyone want something like that?
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
What would it cost to hire 10 magicians to sit and chat at separate tables (remember, time is money whether they are peforming or not), and then have each of them stand up to perform a synchronized manipulation routine, in the round, for 15 minutes? By the time you also factor in rehearsals (and yes, the magicians will want to get paid for that time as well), the costs can really start to skyrocket.

Let's assume that each magician is going to charge an hour's worth of time for the evening and an extra hour for rehearsal. Even at a low $150.00 per hour, that's a total cost of $3,000.00. I don't know of many clients who are willing to pay $3,000.00 for 15 minutes of magic.

For that kind of money, the client should be able to get a really good platform show that runs about an hour. But then again, I can only speak for the markets that I am familiar with. Things may be different elsewhere.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Creativity wise, I like it. On the marketing and financial side I don't see it paying off. Selling the idea of ONE magician is hard enough but now multiply that by TEN. Marketing is also limited to "Events" or timed seating since the shows have to be done at the same time and finding a price that's acceptilble to the owner and 10 magicians would be a good trick in itself! Smile
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Hmmmmmm....

Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1059 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Can I come to the rehearsal?
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Agreed, interesting and creative...but wow expensive. At my rate (which is pretty cheap) - and 1 hour minimum charge mind you, this would run the event planner $1500.00.

Now...lets switch things up a bit and lets say this was an event that had a "Magical" theme to it, where there'd maybe be an opportunity for a quick stage act at some point also. Then it'd be something of scale where there'd be a budget for it. But for the sounds of it. 20 mins max of performing time for 1500$ is a bit much for most folks I gather.

Again though...I like the idea.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Ok, so maybe this is a way to begin a magical event.

Perhaps the ten performers will then do a stage show, or card manipulation routine on stage or....?

I was thinking that ten people would be selected and specially trained. Perhaps training ten amateurs to do one routine exceptionally well, hence avoiding the rates of the higher paid professionals. Is this ethical?

Will//

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
You know where I see this working Blink? At a magic club banquet.

The magician at each table who is in on it - all dressed alike - and the MC at some point during the evening directing everyone's attention to the magician at their table wearing the white tux, or tux t-shirt, or how ever you costume them... The stage lights go black, the music starts, and the close-up table magic begins!

This would be somewhere that the cost would be minimal because you could probably find guys in the club willing to donate their time. Getting them all together to rehearse prior to the event might be a bit more challenging.

Lyndel
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
Good idea Lyndel, thanks for the contribution.

I haven't been to any large magical gatherings yet however will keep this in mind when I attend CAM.

I'll enter the close up competition with it....hehe

So let me pose a question....

How long is long enough for a perfomance at a table? I originally said 10-15 min however since the magi is working only one table, can the time be extended without the spectators getting magic overload?

Would extending the performace to 30 min add value?

I'm also thinking that the table could be nicely preloaded, centavo under the centerpiece for S&S as a basic example or a card stuck under a chair for a nice revelation during the performance.

Thanks for the input folks, I love brainstorming new ideas. Might even make it happen.

Will//

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It may only be me but the idea is disturbing. Outside of military formation when I see men acting in unison it comes across as very feminine and there has never been a context beyond the military that didn't give me that feeling. I think that ten magicians rising and removing their coats at the same time wouldn't be magical entertainment it would be distracting as one would be looking from one magician to another and I doubt it would be enjoyable. As for it being a new idea I believe I've seen something like this done before on a smaller scale and the result was people were saying "I had no idea what was happening" rather than "gee that was good magic". There are reasons some things don't happen.
blink_inc
View Profile
Loyal user
Hamilton
278 Posts

Profile of blink_inc
"It may only be me but the idea is disturbing"
ummmmm yup, probably just you, hehe

I don't know about the use of the word feminine in this context.
I have never looked at magic having a feminine or masculine side.

See, I look at it like this, Magic is making a resurgance once again thanks to the you know who's of television land. As well, it is coming back in a new way. new ways to present old concepts and ideas. We don't see much of linking rings anymore however we are starting to see linking key rings, old concept, new presentation.

What I am looking to do is present a magical experience in a new way with a sense of granduer, as opposed to the traditional top hat, wand, rabbit and stage.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I must have missed something, who is causing a resurgance in magic from being on TV? Blaine is pretty much done so it can't be him, wait, Criss Angel is active, got it. To you it is granduer, to me it is chorus boys doing magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » A presentation idea for comments (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL