The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » World's First and Largest Wiki-Encyclopedia for the Magical Arts! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I am undertaking a huge project. I am creating the worlds first wiki-encyclopedia of everything magic.

Check it out at;
http://www.magicsanctum.com

It will be for performers bios, magic shop blurbs, magic book blurbs with contents, and basically everything magical from double lifts to Harry Houdini and everything there in between.

Unlike Wikipedia we encourage performers writing articles about themselves and their products. If you want to write an article about a friend, a hero, a favorite book, then by all means please come and contribute!

I just started this project 3 days ago and I think it's coming along quite nicely...

Let me know what it needs and what you think!

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 2:41pm
-----------------------------------------
I should probably give you a brief wiki definition. Wiki encyclopedias are maintained by the community. The users write the article for the encyclopedia.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Scott,
With such contents, what will prevent this information from becoming common, public knowledge?

So I can just write a slanderous article about anyone? Nice!
How will materials be edited, accepted, researched, etc. Wikipedia is full of errors . . . do we need a magic one?

Kind regards,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Edith
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
130 Posts

Profile of Edith
A very respected German Newspaper (Die Zeit) did a research on errors in Wkipedia last summer. They found out that it contains the same amount of errors that every encyclopedia does.
Besides I like the idea of having a Magicyclopedia.

Edith
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Edith,
Newspapers are notorious for being rite with errors.

It's going to take more than that to convince me.

Best,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Since it is a community driven, then anyone can edit articles. We also have a standard of citing sources and such. But in the end, I have 3 moderators as of now who will review articles and remove slander.

BUT, in the end, if you read something and it's wrong, ITS COMMUNITY DRIVEN! Edit it!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great idea, perhaps it would be good to have membership only site with log-in and PW.
Cards never lie
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Its hard enough to get this off the ground...

Although once this is off the ground, I am thinking of putting together a tarbell course since it is public domain.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

And it looks good as well - once it is populated, it will be a great resource
Cards never lie
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Thanks Andy, for day 4:

The wiki engine is installed.
Blogs online.
We have about 480 visitors and 3200 page hits.
Guest books up.
Mailing list is up.
Tweaked the interface.
Added youtube hack to allow for video embedding.
And about 40 articles...

There's facts on there that aren't ANYWHERE else, its making me proud.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
My favorite is the Paul Harris and Harry Houdini page. Because they both have video! You can see master jedi Paul Harris work and even wittness a part of Harry Houdini's funeral!
tupawk
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of tupawk
I like the idea. Looks pretty good so far for just launching the site.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
So what do you have in place to prevent this from becoming another exposure site?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Until you have some kind of anti-exposure measures in place, as well as some kind of login, you can include me out.

There is enough exposure of magic on the internet already.

Magic is an art form in which the secrets are a very important part. To desecrate them by making them public is anathema.

Already there has been a request that our local magic club and its membership support this. I have posted my objections to it to our webmaster.

BTW, this isn't the first one. Whit Haydn had the Scoundrels Wiki up over a year ago. It includes all things related to magic.

Also, make sure you dot your I's and cross your T's, when it comes to proprietary information and video posting. If you post without permission, you can get into caca profunda.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Sounds great.

I'm assuming the moderators also check to make sure there is no exposure?
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Exactly. We do check posts for exposure. And before ANYONE can post they do have to register. Registered users can update articles and the poster of the original article has the option to get an email when ever their article is changed. Just some nice small steps that are making wiki'ing easy.

I personally encourage anyone who's bored and surfing the Café to stop by and write up a blurb on the site from the dust jacket of your favorite book! In the end, I hope this keeps growing. The database of magic is the next logical step. It's working nicely already and taking a nice direction to creating an open forum for knowledge, the way learning should be...
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I predict that eventually it will get out of control. There will be too much for the moderators to keep up with and it will be nothing more than another exposure site. Hopefully I'm wrong, so good luck.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

To be clear on this - my view is that there should be 0 exposure and discussion about tricks at all. I see this as a databank for looking up the greatest magicians and their history.

Also, a membership-only to even view the inputs is important.

Andy
Cards never lie
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
KNOWLEDGE is free. There will never be a membership to view or read the information, sorry for any confusion.

I always hated the fact that while in college I needed to work 2 jobs and go to 2 schools part time cause it was cheaper and I could afford to finish in the correct time. It didn't make me appreciate knowledge more, it just made me realize a flaw in the world. The Café is free and open, and is the reason why now I perform for colleges and corporations world wide. I wish to give back to the community.

And if it does get that huge as to where exposure is a problem, than I will hire moderators. I am eating the cost of it already. In 4 days it has sucked up 124 megabytes of bandwidth, which I pay for. Money isn't an option when it comes to education and the advancement of ones art...

All the best, back to work for me.
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
I have a question...

The titles of the various articles don't show up. They are white so they blend with the background.

Is this happening on just my browser?

And one suggestion... change that title. Its too long. Just set it to "The MagicSanctum".
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Titles get you a higher placement in google. Its all keywords...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » World's First and Largest Wiki-Encyclopedia for the Magical Arts! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL