The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stan, Kate and Edith (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I've not seen this routine, but it seems to have a loyal following in this forum. Tell me, is this strictly an adult piece? Are there any innuendos and the like? Basically, is it clean?
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Nope! Smile

I used to do it in my adult cabaret but I found that, at least in the UK, people weren't laughing as much recently. We've become a bit 'politically correct' and jokes about lesbians and threesomes - however subtle - are less acceptable than they used to be.

I don't do it now Smile

Hey ho (sigh)
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
It is an adult piece, manly because kids don't get innuendo. I use it in my adult show, but replace it with Monarch Montie in my corporate shows. I have video of myself doing both routenes on my website
http://www.iyqent.com/vids/adultcomedy1.mov
http://www.iyqent.com/vids/adultcomedy2.mov
They are in quicktime format.
Rather then try to explain the difference to corporate clients I let them see it and decide which type of show is better for their group.
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
Yes, there is plenty of innuendo. It's not really a "blue" piece, for the patter is innocent. The "dirty" happens in the minds of the audience.

As James said above, these days fewer folks find gay humor funny.

I use the Eason version, but substitute for the "Two queens in love; so happy, quite gay...but not so the King for he'd not had his way." couplet. It may be part of another version, but I use "The King lost his kingdom, both queens and his luck; in fact, you might say he was royally f....rustrated!"

It gets you away from the "g" word. (Of course, you still have Edith "lusting" for Kate...and the threesome thing.)
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I think I've got a good sense of humour, but I don't find this trick even remotley funny.

M:C
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Maybe I'm missing something here but (as long as they are adults) why or what are people objecting to?

There are gay people in the world and they don't find the term "Gay" offensive. In fact that is the correct PC term for homosexuals. Also the world should be getting more liberal and so if some people wish t have a three-some then surely that is LESS shocking than it used to be and wouldn't offend anyone.

I come form the UK and so countries vary but am I being thick here as I don't see a problem with the trick and I can't see it offending anyone.

So please bring to my attention where the problem is?
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The problem arises because gay people have been subjected to centuries of mean spirited and offensive ridicule because of their sexuality.

As soon a gay joke is made, regardless of whether it is actually offensive or not, it puts people of edge. That is the reason why western society tends to allow jokes about white people far more often then black people.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
It's also why there are more jokes about fat people. After all, we're supposed to be "jolly" folk and have a "thick skin" when it comes down to rotten jokes about us.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
You can see the routine on one of Doc Eason's Bar Magic DVD's. Don't remember which one. But this routine doesn't offend anyone. It's subtle. I definitely would not do it for kids though. Everyone takes political correctness to far.
Personally I don't do the routine because I don't do off color stuff but Doc has excellent success with it in a Bar.
Daniel Faith
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2009 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I like doctor amazos adaptation.
As far as the threesomes, I bet you most guys will laugh.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Well, I finally made it back here to see all the replies. Thanks all. This sounds like something that doesn't fit my personality though. My shows are squeaky clean-- even for adults.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
dfield
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of dfield
I saw it performed recently by Chip Romero on a cruise ship and it went over really well with the audience. It's a great piece and in the right hands plays well. It was a mixed age group.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
828 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Can anyone tell me if this is angle proof? Can it be done without anyone in the rear spotting it? Like at another table in a restaurant? And don't tell me it's not suitable for restaurants, cos I'm not listening.....!! Smile

Or, indeed, is there a smaller version, suitable for close-up? Or somewhere I can make the gaffs?

Thanks!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
773 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
I've purchased the recent release of Kate and Edith in "jumbo" 5"x7" format which I consider suitable only for close up. Does anyone know if is available anywhere in "Giant" size. thanks
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I've seen acts use the 5 x 7 on cruises in a pretty big room (800+ seats)
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
...a friend of mine was recently asked by the cruise director to not do this anymore because it was too dirty.
There!
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
These are the kind of people we eventually hear of being arrested for touching this and that..... do they show edited Lawrence Welk tapes on that cruise line?
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
People are uptight.
It's EVERY cruise line.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Stan, Kate and Edith (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL