The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sleeping with the enemy? Friends of the Masked Magician (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Valantine for Comptroller!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Is that 9.99 American?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Yall nedd to let go off your hatred towards Valentino. That is his Myspace and he is cool with me. As stated here laypeople don't remember what was exposed and now in retrospect his work makes ours more interesting.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
No hate, only love.

I agree 1000%!! Valentino's contributions are the best thing to ever happen to magic as an art and a craft. He should be hailed as a liberator from age old methodology.

And I agree, that his actions are not remembered and at the same time made our work more interesting.

By exposing our methods, he frees us from taking people into a new world, for we become tricksters. We no longer are tasked with bringing back a lost state of childhood astonishment. We are able to focus on what is important.... sucker effects and really good trick methods. Magic for magicians, for the whole world. One big magic club. Maybe they should teach a trick on the morning news, and we could all practice it together.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Since you agree 1000% I take it you are being sarcastic. I also agree with you in that there should be a trick on the daily news. The best magician is one who would take that trick and make it unique, still fooling all the people who knew how to do the trick with a different method. All I'm saying is the masked magician is making a comeback soon and the old work might come out on DVD soon, so watch out!!! The new age of magic is here!!
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-17 00:50, Atom3581 wrote:
All I'm saying is the masked magician is making a comeback soon and the old work might come out on DVD soon, so watch out!!! The new age of magic is here!!

New age of magic is here????

Sounds like the same ol crap that Val used to spout about his specials. He'd say his show would spur magicians on to create new illusions and abandon the old ones. Come to think of it he also ended the last show with.. " In the next few years you'll see me performing new and exciting magic! "

I suppose he's going to start that new and exciting magic career when OJ finds the real killer!!! LOL

Best,

Tim
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Valentino has acheived acclaim after his specials, just in other countries. He is almost a cult hero in Brazil. He has (not singlehandedly) forced us to be more creative and stop relying on old outdated methods. Time to get rid of all the cliched bunny rabbits and zig zag ladies already. Quit beating a dead horse.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Yah. Cups and Balls should be the first to go. How could you possibly fool someone with a trick that's been around since ancient Egyptian times? I'd much rather buy something that is hot and new, than suffer through some outdated Tarbel effect.
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Magic is not all about fooling people. Cups and Balls is widely exposed yet a good magician still makes it entetaining. Tarbell is a great volume. Since you would rather "buy" something new you aren't really getting in on the new age of magic. Maybe you should think of some new magic on your own instead of buying somebody else's stuff, then you would be a part of the new age of magic.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-03-20 16:13, Atom3581 wrote:
Maybe you should think of some new magic on your own instead of buying somebody else's stuff, then you would be a part of the new age of magic.

I keep hearing that word "new". Can you tell us ANYTHING new Val ever performed????? If he's responsible for the new age of magic then surely he must have lots of NEW magic to show us?

Tim
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Atom,
So the "new age of magic" includes the methods used in Cups & Balls, and Tarbell? But I thought those old methods were holding us back. Didn't you argue, someone was doing us a favor by exposing them?
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Val did nothing new, correct. He is more so responsible for ushering out the old age. The new age of magic encompasses everything from the old age of magic, but realizes that you can't keep fooling people with the same tricks. Eventually the methods will be leaked, so you have to be more creative.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-03-20 16:45, Atom3581 wrote:

... you can't keep fooling people with the same tricks. Eventually the methods will be leaked, so you have to be more creative.

Quote:
On 2007-03-20 16:13, Atom3581 wrote:

Magic is not all about fooling people. Cups and Balls is widely exposed yet a good magician still makes it entertaining.

I agree with one of you.

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 5:11pm
--------------------------------------------
As far as the out with the old concept, can you name a competent magician performing "new age" magic, who doesn't have a through understanding of the classics? How many "new" methods are not discussed in Fitzkee's The Trick Brain?
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
A mastery of the "old" classics is a must for any good performer, agreed. There are an infinite number of new methods that are not in Fritzke's book, because there are an infinite number of new methods. So which of me do you agree with?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Hmmm? An infinite number of methods, not mentioned by Fitzkee? I see.
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
See I think for myself. I don't care what Fitzkee's book says. I believe there is infinite possibility in our universe, so therefore there are infinite methods. You will only find finite methods when reading other peoples material, but inside your mind is the infinite. My advice to all magicians, stop reading other peoples stuff if you already have a good amount of knowledge use that to create your own effects.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

I agree.

No more reading for me. I'm going to invent the wheel.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Atom, that philosophy almost sounds Vulcan: Infinite diversity from infinite combinations, or IDIC.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Atom3581
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Atom3581
Try inventing something that is not yet invented.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

I'm just goofing around Atom. You're alright!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sleeping with the enemy? Friends of the Masked Magician (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL