The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Eggs - and sitting on them ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
Hey guys,

Third pair, this year, of eggs laid just now. First that did not crack. Well I moved them to a "nest" in the corner of the bottom of the cage. Sometimes the doves will stay there for hours and then just leave. If I put my hand inside the cage, sometimes they will walk towards the eggs, to protect them.

A lot of the time however, they will just stand 2 or 3 inches away from the eggs and stare. (both the female and male at the same time) They won't lay on them.

What's the best thing to do?

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 9:59pm
PS- Has anyone ever used incubators?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Try sitting on them yourself so they get the idea.

Just kidding! Give them time. Eventually they'll figure it out and you'll have more baby doves than you wanted.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
They have already laid eggs and hatched them before.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Baluk, its a possibility the eggs are not fertile, or there is something else wrong with them. just let them be for a little while, and if after a few days nothing happens, then just discard them. If the weather is warmer where you are, they may not need to sit on them during the day, and are maybe doing it at night when its cooler, and you're sleeping. ya just never know sometimes....

On a different but related topic...Rabbits do this too! During the day, the momma rabbit will not go near the babies, and this is only to protect them from predators. They stay clear of the young ones so that if a predator comes by, it will only see the Momma and go after her and not the young ones. Rabbits feed late at night when no one is looking. I know doves Don't do this, but if they are warm enough without being sat on, then they won't .....perfect temperature readings they have....
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Great advice, Alpha. As for incubators, dove eggs rarely do well in an incubator. They are just too fragile and if they hatch the parents will usually reject them. Tube feeding new hatchlings has a high mortality rate. This is because the first few days of "dove milk" the mother and father feed them is vital to their survival.

I wish I had better news, but doves are very instinctive. If those eggs were good, they would be setting on the eggs.

I have a suggestion: For your next batch of eggs, start giving your birds a calcium supplement daily with their food to make the eggshell stronger. Then get a "strainer nest" (it looks like a small food strainer) at the pet store. (I usually cram a circle of hay in the nest before I let the doves set, for stability of the babies legs. Doves are not the best nest builders. This nest and hay will make it easier for the parents to hatch the eggs and foster the young successfully.
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
BalukMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
315 Posts

Profile of BalukMagic
6 eggs in total.
They are living indoors - temperature constant daily.
They have been sitting on them almost non-stop now.
Everyone once in a while one gets off and some time later
a new one goes on.

I think two females are going in intervals. (not male/female)
Not 100% though. However, It seems like atleast the last 4 eggs
may hatch (and maybe not the first two)

I'm pretty sure they are fertile as I saw them..... yea. lol

Um. How long can the eggs go for and not "expire" without any added heat?

Thanks.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20501 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If you have more than two eggs, it may be better if you identify and separate the pairs into cages together.

It's hardly rare for a pair doves to fail with their first nest together. Recycle time is FAST! Hang in there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Eggs - and sitting on them ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL