The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Check this out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
I just found a good article on adding comedy to your show, check it out-

http://magic.about.com/library/weekly/aa061799.htm
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
First of all, you shouldn't try to "add" comedy to your show.
Comedy should -- nay, must -- be an integral part, if it is going to be used at all.
Too many performers try to graft comedy onto routines with the result that both suffer.
They must be woven together, not glued together!

And the article in question lists about a jillion books on comedy.
You can no more teach someone how to be funny than teach someone how to be tall!

The article is a bit -- or a lot! -- thin; sounds more like a rewrite of other articles than original thinking.

But that's just my opinion.
mforteath
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
62 Posts

Profile of mforteath
Yes, Peter, I have to agree that you are either funny or you are not! Billy Connolly is just funny, and he didn't learn to be. BUT There is no harm in looking at comedy ideas to add to routines, provided you are quick witted and the lines then come naturally. Best of luck with it.

Mark.
Keith Larocque
View Profile
New user
Ontario
47 Posts

Profile of Keith Larocque
yeah usually when performers try and add comedy to their act that aren't truly funny on their own usually is shown in the acting.
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-01-13 00:07, Peter Marucci wrote:
First of all, you shouldn't try to "add" comedy to your show.
Comedy should -- nay, must -- be an integral part, if it is going to be used at all.
Too many performers try to graft comedy onto routines with the result that both suffer.
They must be woven together, not glued together!

And the article in question lists about a jillion books on comedy.
You can no more teach someone how to be funny than teach someone how to be tall!

The article is a bit -- or a lot! -- thin; sounds more like a rewrite of other articles than original thinking.

But that's just my opinion.

Well said. I use comedy in my shows but I draw off the audience. I try some stuff and if it goes well I adapt it to the way they respond. Canned lines or copying anothers patter just does not work. The jokes, or in Peters case, Puns I use depend on the situation. Keep up to date on your humor too. Stuff that was funny 5 years ago does not go over well now. Well not usually.
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Hey I have read ALL of those books.

You can't learn to be funny but you can learn to take your existing humour and make it funnier, make it professional and make it get strong reactions.
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Why do we feel comedy is such an elusive thing? Why do we think that a person can learn to be dramatic but not comedic? If you want to improve your dramatic acting you wouldn't hesitate in taking a class or reading a book. If someone wants to learn comedy we tell them it isn't something that's learned. If Robin Williams can be dramatic (One Hour Photo) and William H. Macy can be funny (Mystery Men), I think anyone can learn.

Comedy on stage and being funny in person are two separate things. You can learn comedy on stage. There are classes one can take to improve their delivery of lines, ability in crafting lines and how to make it all work together on stage. Being funny in person is harder because it is "real". It can be done. It is a shift in thinking that's all. Everyone is funny, I mean that in the nicest sense. Being funny is about finding your voice, who you are, and why you are interesting. The same can be said for drama.

I agree that dropping bits of comedy into a show without having thought through the implications is a bad idea. But a carefully placed one liner or funny anecdote can bring the house down.

I further agree that comedic instincts play a large role in being able to adapt to a situation on stage. It is the instincts that take a while to be learned. It is possible.
Jason
HighClass
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of HighClass
Exactly! Comedy like all other talents can be learned. Its not some god given talent for the rare few.Take some classes, read some books and most of all get out there and practice.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2579 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Jason makes a good case that we can all train ourselves to be comedic performers. So with regard to comedy magic what form would that training take?

Many on this forum have advocated doing stand up as a way of learning to be funny without having to rely on the magic. That might well add to your comedy chops but I'm not sure how it translates to a comedy magic show where you are doing so much more than finding a funny way of delivering your script.

In fact I don't see it as relying on your magic... you only rely on your magic when your comedy isn't working... you don't rely on the magic to be the comedy. Magic isn't a substitute for the comedy in a comedy magic act. It's a twin discipline... magic.... and comedy... and comedy cannot be the minor partner.

As a comedy act there is an expectation from your audience that you will make them laugh. If you don't you don't meet their expectations. As a magic act they expect to be astonished and amazed... as a comedy magic act they expect both but the magic can take a minor role. (think Amazing Jonathan, Tommy Cooper)

So what practical steps can one take or apply to a performance, other than going out and doing it and learning from experience, that can better make a person maximize their comedy potential in regard to doing a comedy magic show?
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Check this out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.81 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL