The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls routines...what's in your repertoire? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I'm wondering...have you seen what I've seen in magic?

From what I've encountered, it looks as though most magicians who perform the Cups and Balls perform a close variation of Vernon's routine. A distant second, from what I have seen, is Ammar's.

This opinion is primarily based on my interactions with amateur magicians, although I have seen pros that have preformed Vernon's routine and not one of their own.

So I'm curious...

Do you perform your own routine?
If not, who's routine do you perform? Is it the "stock" performance, or a variation?
Lastly, if you agree that Vernon's routine is the most preformed Cups and Balls routine out there...why do you think it's so heavily preformed?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I perform my own routines, and practice with a variety of others. These range from Aldo to Ammar and Gertner, depending on my mood and interest.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Roland Henning
View Profile
Special user
Kiel, Germany
511 Posts

Profile of Roland Henning
I perform a two cup routine that has its roots in Hofzinser and Williamson's routine.

I never understood the three-cup routines, way too confusing.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24249 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The use of three cups is rooted in the Western European idea that the number three is mystically significant. In medieval times, it was the symbol of perfection. Hence the trinitarian theory, and many other philosophical references to the number three.

I prefer the simplicity of a chop cup.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
Well, actually, I'm starting to learn the Cups and Balls and, so far, the only routine I have pretty much down is Vernon's routine, because that's the first routine I encountered when I got Vernon's Revelations video, Volume 5.

I got my first Cups and Balls set and started to learn this routine right away, then of course I saw Michael Ammar's routine performed on World's Greatest Magic. Then I got Michael Ammar's The Complete Cups and Balls videos, and I'm practising new routines and moves, but I need to practise a lot.

I've seen Aldo Colombini routines, and he has so many routines in his book Mama Mia Magic! He even has a lot of routines with a complete set of cups and balls with a chop cup and different colored balls. He even has cups and knots routines, where he makes knots with some pieces of ropes and performs a Cups and Balls routine with them.

Well, that's my experience and opinion.

Best Regards,
Pablo
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I used to perform Vernon's routine. Over the years I took a phase out and put another one in there, then I changed a little here and there.
Right now I am working on Johnny Paul's routine, and I am having fun and a lot of hard time.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think what Vernon did was to REFINE what had come before and made it easier for the spectator's to follow. There is nothing worse than a routine that confuses the viewer.

What I have done is taken the basic premise of Vernon and modified it to use with Indian cups (although, I still do the routine with my Paul Fox cups or the Riser Minis).

What's MORE IMPORTANT (IMHO) than the moves is your presentation and style.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
I started with the routine in the Mark Wilson's Complete Course, but that was years ago. It was a pretty good and clear routine, mind you.

Now I have just finished working out my own routine, heavily influenced by Tommy Wonder's, yet still with three cups, which I know has the added complication issue, but I have tried to simplify it as much as possible. I've also been toying with playing off the "confusion" in my presentation.

That is, NOT making the routine confusing, but basing my presentation on the idea that the effect can be confusing and, based on that, I constantly try to simplify the effect, always failing to keep track of it myself. In other words, the ball(s) is (are) always getting out of my control, despite how many measures I take to make it easier to follow.

Just now, I have started to work on a Chop Cup routine now based, again, largely on Wonder's ideas and suggestions.

Still continuing to work on all of them, though. My only really issue with my three cup routine is the loads; carrying them, that is. Mainly, it is just after seeing Wonder's routine, anything else seems so inferior. But for what I want in my routine, I require pocket loads.

I still want to work out something similar to Wonder's for a more contained routine, just for the convenience of being so simple and self-contained, and yet so unbelievably powerful. I don't want to just do his routine but may have to give in and do it, as it is so hard to improve upon, so any changes would just weaken it. Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
I am currently working on a version of Al Schneider's Classic Cups TL MPL. It has many of the Venonesque pieces, but there is also what amounts to a two-cup sequence in the middle. Very straightforward, understandable, and eye-popping.

My standard for the last few years has been John Carney's Fruit Cup.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
My routine has elements of the Vernon routine and David Regal's routine, but it has been customized to suit my own performing style and rhythm. I think that's an element that many people overlook when working with the Cups and Balls. Each routine has its own distinct rhythm. If you try to present a routine that doesn't fit your natural rhythm, it will look and feel contrived.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I started the Cups and Balls not long ago. I do Vernon's and a 2-cup routine. Other than that, I practice sequences, timing, and moves from the Ammar book.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
My routine started with the Mark Wilson routine, then added the first phase of Vernon's routine done with subtleties by Michael Ammar, then the Final loading sequence morphed into something of my own. In short, it looks like the Vernon routine, but the handling is more natural for me.

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I like the Vernon routine a lot. I replace the vanishes with wand vanish, though.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 12:57, walid ahumada wrote:
I used to perform Vernon's routine. Over the years I took a phase out and put another one in there, then I changed a little here and there.
Right now I am working on Johnny Paul's routine, and I am having fun and a lot of hard time.

What cups are you using? I'd love to work on J. Paul's routine, but you need some cups with some pretty specific specifications. I've had very little luck finding cups that will even work!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Quote:
What cups are you using? I'd love to work on J. Paul's routine, but you need some cups with some pretty specific specifications. I've had very little luck finding cups that will even work!

Until recently, Pete Biro had sets of Johnny Paul cups available. You might check with him to see if a set remains that he is willing to part with.

Regards,
Bill Sutter
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Ireland cups Bill Palmer has put out will work if you can get the right size sponge balls. A little bigger than 2 inch. I sold the last of my sets, but once in awhile, I find some in the garage. I'm going away for two weeks and, when I get back, will look again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
959 Posts

Profile of lint
Pete, when are you gonna have a "garage sale"? You always seem to find the best stuff in your garage!

-todd
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
My routine is 2 cups, 1 ball, based on Gary Ouellet's "The Two Goblets."
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Quote:
On 2007-03-01 13:30, gaddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 12:57, walid ahumada wrote:

Specific specifications? Oh, I know what you mean. I was lucky enough to get a set of Johnny Paul's cups from Pete Biro.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Lucky ****

I was at an auction of some of his props shortly after his passing and was outbid by a dealer who had recruited an out of town "front man" to mask his identity.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and Balls routines...what's in your repertoire? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL