The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oscar picks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 11:43, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
The Oscars are stupid. Smile

Yeah, but enjoyable. There are people who think the same things about what <we> do!

Quote:
On 2007-02-26 09:47, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-02-26 09:42, Lambertmoon wrote:
Ouch....not because you lost the bet or OSU Beat Wisconsin.
Ouch because you watched the Oscars.

I watched the first 45 minutes or so, and caught only the supporting actor and actress awards. When I saw Alan Arkin win best supporting actor I said, "Ok it's going to be one of those years. Feel good winners and lifetime achievemnet awards in the form of Oscars".

A ten dollar bet was not anywhere near enough to get me to watch that whole trainwreck.

If that were true Peter O'Toole would have finally been recognized for this which will probably be his last major work. Not that Forest Whittaker (did I get that right?) didn't deserve for "Last King of Scotland," but I was honestly expecting the sentiment vote to swing towards O'Toole.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
He might have, if he didn't get that lifetime achievement award in '06 or '05.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I was miffed that they overlooked me [i]again[/].

They fear my raw power
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 01:09, LobowolfXXX wrote:
He might have, if he didn't get that lifetime achievement award in '06 or '05.

Took the words right out of my mouth. They already gave him an Honorary award.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Gore won one for his Science Fiction film...

*sigh*
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 11:43, MAKMagic wrote:
Gore won one for his Science Fiction film...

*sigh*

Did that surprise you?

Melissa Ethridge won for the song as well. She performed it with all these goffy messages on a screen behind here. "ride a bike to work" "reduce your carbon footprint" and other inanities. Flavor of the day. 20 years ago the same song would have won but when she performerd it they would have flashed messages like "No Nukes". Same song and dance, just a hot new cause.

Al Gores carbon footprint is probably bigger than the 10 biggest energy users on this site combined. He ain't running up $30,000-a-year utility bills on his Tennessee mansion by lighting it with candles.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
No, not suprised. Just felt like getting the dig out there to all the hosers out there that believe it. AND I knew you'd pipe in to back me up:)
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
HA! No, I couldn't resist. Remember now, it's not a political issue, it's a mroal issue. Smile
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Even though I disagree with all your "Morals" or "mroal's"; I agree that should a person feel the need to insist I clean my yard they should make sure the doo doo is picked up off their lawn first. Absolutely non political, just doo doo related.

And I meant to sat "again" earlier, instead I said "[i]again[/]" which makes no sense.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
If Hollywood gets back to making GREAT pictures, then perhaps I'd send in my SAG ballot. What tripe from which to choose.

I came up with a variation on Mad TV's line, "Don't make me put my carbon footprint up your A**!"

As far as politics goes. After midterm election I read this story title: Politicians Spend Nearly a Billion Dollars to Prove They Can't Be Trusted.
POOF!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Great pictures like what?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Lawrence of Arabia, Apocalypse Now, Godfather, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Chinatown, North by Northwest, Charade, Lord of the Rings, and much, much more.
POOF!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
So it's more an issue of 2006 being a down year than a general decline? I notice you included Lord of the Rings, the most recent movie of which was made just 3 1/2 years ago, so if we're "going back" to when they made such great movies, we don't have to go back too far.

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Don't get me wrong, I love movies. However, awarding "The Best" is absurd when we have examples of excellence in which to follow. The business of making movies is exceptional these days. Yet, so often there's that one thing you can't put your finger on that keeps the film or the talent off the wow list.

Lord of the Rings is the rare exception. As the story goes, Peter Jackson wanted to do the rings as a trilogy, but, decided to sell it to the backers as an epic movie. One of the backers asked Peter if he thought the picture would suffer as one long movie and recommended it be shot as a trilogy. Most studios and their insurance companies won't take accept the long term risk - like Terry Gilliam's Man of La Mancha which resides in a vault owned by the insurance company - but for Lord of the Rings it worked. One condition was the crew and the actors had to sign up for a long term shooting schedule.

The other problem (facing production companies) is the box office payoff to cost ratio. A name actor might pull $20 million, but, the film opens at $30 million or less for a short run. If the film cost's $100 million plus, then it's essential to bring the film to market ASAP, no matter what. To offset loses, DVD's are ready to roll a month after the film leaves the theaters. Not to mention, video games and goodies.
POOF!
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ever since Eli Wallach was ignored for his brilliant 'Tuco', the Oscars have been a farce.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-02-28 11:31, kregg wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love movies. However, awarding "The Best" is absurd when we have examples of excellence in which to follow. The business of making movies is exceptional these days. Yet, so often there's that one thing you can't put your finger on that keeps the film or the talent off the wow list.

Lord of the Rings is the rare exception. As the story goes, Peter Jackson wanted to do the rings as a trilogy, but, decided to sell it to the backers as an epic movie. One of the backers asked Peter if he thought the picture would suffer as one long movie and recommended it be shot as a trilogy. Most studios and their insurance companies won't take accept the long term risk - like Terry Gilliam's Man of La Mancha which resides in a vault owned by the insurance company - but for Lord of the Rings it worked. One condition was the crew and the actors had to sign up for a long term shooting schedule.

The other problem (facing production companies) is the box office payoff to cost ratio. A name actor might pull $20 million, but, the film opens at $30 million or less for a short run. If the film cost's $100 million plus, then it's essential to bring the film to market ASAP, no matter what. To offset loses, DVD's are ready to roll a month after the film leaves the theaters. Not to mention, video games and goodies.

I actually don't see it that way. I think that the good movies of the last 10 or 15 years are as good as the good movies of any era; we just have a lot more bad movies, too. Part of this is because the industry has expanded as a whole, and part of this is because the BAD movies from 50 years ago didn't survive. So you see a biased sample of movies from yesteryear, and conclude that the average movie back then was much better than it really was. This also happens with music, athletics, and just about everything else.

kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
It all comes down to what the inner politics of the academy accept as the "best".
No matter how I play it, it's like the game of tic tac toe when the best director doesn't win best movie.
POOF!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2007-02-23 11:43, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
The Oscars are stupid. Smile

Josh,

You are right. I haven't watched the Oscars in years. I think it is nothing more that a Hollywood kissiface lovefest. It truly makes me sick. The people in SAG in Hollyweird do not have a clue.

David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Oscar picks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL