We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
As you may know, I'm 14 and will soon (hopefully) be doing 1 or 2 shows a week maybe per 2 weeks or whatever. Is a sound system "needed"? I will most likely be doing birthdays where I doubt it would be needed. Maybe the biggest would be a library show... so basically, for a 14 year old doing birthdays, is it a necessity, or can it be passed on my list of things needed to buy. Thanks in advance-Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Put a sound system on your list of things to buy in the future. One that will meet your needs like a Fender Passport 150, or Anchor Minivox will cost around $450.

I know of a magician who uses the Fender Passport 150 and acts as a DJ when not doing magic. This alone paid for his system.

You can get by without one for now. As many pros said once they switched to sound and music they'll never go back.

(Name error corrected)
Dennis Michael
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks for the quick response-Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Jimo
View Profile
New user
Bristol
18 Posts

Profile of Jimo
I think Den meant to say "Fender" as the brand of those products---probably the most famous guitar maker in existence (as an aside)-cheers!----Jimo
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I have found that for those events that need a sound system there is generally one there and all you need is a good wireless to plug into. If all you are planning to do is birthday shows and libraries, and your not going to be using music, then put the sound system on the back burner.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
victorkent
View Profile
New user
Narnia
76 Posts

Profile of victorkent
For a pretty power little system that comes complete with everything (wirless headset and lavalier) all-in-one console then look into the outfit offered by Florida Magic. They advertise in Magic Mag. I bought one when I was doing smaller shows and it worked great. For a small box it has great range. A DJ at a show was impressed with it.
-vk Smile
John 3:16
http://www.victorkent.com
http://www.kentfamilyillusionshow.com
[email]victor@victorkent.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Thanks Victor I'm going to look in to that, because my Fender 250 is to big and heavy for use in a small show, the 150 is still big, but half the weight.
Dennis Michael
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
does anyone have a web address for Florida Magic please?

Thanks, Billy
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Dennis Michael
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
Thank you Dennis

Billy
magibrad
View Profile
New user
Canada
59 Posts

Profile of magibrad
Is it worthwhile for a Canadian to shell out that kind of money? Or is there a Canadian company I can go to?

-Brad
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
You could try using a coomber, I use their 2100/w, which has a built in radio mic.

You can get them with optional, cd player, tape deck, radio mic reciever, 12v rechargable battery.

you can find them at http://www.coomber.co.uk
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
The passport is a good little system
Jewls
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan-USA
360 Posts

Profile of Jewls
I have been using the Apollo 6000 for years, they have a few different systems. It weighs 30 LB# comes with a wirless, can run 2 wireless mics, 5 inputs altogether. Built in tape player, I patch a personal CD player in too. Dave Mitchell at Jam Magic carries them I don't think he has a website yet? I will be lecturing with him at a convention this weekend I can let you know.
Until then you can take a look here!
http://www.grant-ent.com/apollo/PA6000.htm
I love this rechargable system I can walk into a party, set it down, push a switch and I'm live!
Smile
DanTheMagicMan
View Profile
Regular user
Edgewater, Maryland USA
138 Posts

Profile of DanTheMagicMan
Check out the portable sound system link at http://www.wearefun.com
This is Joe Leffler's site and is always demo'ing various sound systems at magic conventions.
Dan The Magic Man
e-mail:[email]info@familymagicshows.com[/email]
web site:www.familymagicshows.com
MagicEvents.org - View or subscribe to upcoming magic events and birthdays.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

After studying the Florida Magic/Sekaku PAS767 Portable PA System on the Florida Magic site, and looking at the the following products...
Anchor Systems

... I decided to purchase Florida Magic Sekaku PAS767 sound system for the following reasons:

• My Fender Passport 250 is much to heavy and big.
  • I have been looking into Headset Microphones and they are expensive ($300-$400 Range)
  • I wanted something small, compact, light, AC/DC, portable anywhere, with wireless Headset Microphone

I also liked the features:

Features Florida Magic Sekaku PAS767:

• Wireless Microphone System (Headset AND Lapel Mic.)
  • Auxiliary input for CD Player, Tape Deck or Another Microphone
  • Line Out to use with other systems
  • 120 AC/12 Volt DC Hook-Up System
  • Small (8"x9"x6.5") and Light (5 lbs.)
  • Price: $389.00 (plus $15 for shipping).
  • Extra: 12 volt DC Battery/Charger Outfit $89.00

I was going to get the Passport 150 (30 lbs) Had it in my hands three times and come so close to buying it $495 and I still needed a wireless head set which would be another $350.

What really sold me is the reality of the cost for the headset microphone was as much as this complete system. I really liked what I read on the Flordia Magic Website. Also, this system and the mic can be used with my Passport 250 for a large show. Now I have a Small Show system (<100).

I believe I made the right choice here. Time will only tell!
Dennis Michael
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Dennis:

I've had my eye on the Florida Magic system for some time...please keep us updated.

Ron Reid
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
The thing that I'm concerned about with the Sekaku system is the overall quality...how well it's made, and how good it sounds.

You can look up Sekaku on the web, they appear to be a small Taiwan electronics company with limited US distribution. My local music shop had never heard of the brand.

http://www.sekaku.com.tw/index.asp

When you get yours, please compare it to the Passport and let us know what you think.

Jeff
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I too had the same thoughts. Rather than order on line I called them and from our phone conversation, he is a ventriloquist and the exclusive distributor (no middleman -it's like buying wholesale) he has been in music for over 16 years has assisted with the design. (He owned a music shop.) He even offers a guarantee, if your not satified with it. (There's that guarantee "clich" discussed in another post.)

I should have it in a week. As compared to the Passport, I can tell you the Passport is a better system, and so will Florida Magic. It has stereo multi-line in/ouput capability with huge speakers. Passport also weigh 30 lbs for the 150 model and 75 lbs for the 250 model. With the Sekaku system and headset, I can use the line out and connect to my Passport 250 and blast the audience away. I already go to a chiropractor for my back and I agree with Florida Magic on this point; his system is a back saver! 5-lbs verse 30-lbs/75-lbs! small, compact, and light, verses, big, bulky, and heavy.

I already have the great big, bulky, and heavy powerful Passport 250 system which I love so my choices were microphone related and exclusive use for the bulk of birthday party and smaller shows. If I did DJ work on the side, the choice would be difficult. (Keeping in mind I have the Passport 250 which can do DJ stuff.)

A talking comedy show goes so far but adding sound and music to an existing show brings the act to a higher plain.
Dennis Michael
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of afknight
I've been using the Sekaku PAS767 for five years without any problems. It works eqully well in an auditorium, a living room or even outdoors without electricity (using the 12V DC battery). I use a small insulated beverage cooler as the carrying case which holds everything including a retractable 50' electrical cord for those occasions when the outlet is not located nearby.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL