We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Salazar Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
344 Posts

Profile of Salazar Magic
How about powered speakers like the JBL Eon?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Received my Sekaku PAS767 yesterday and loved playing with it. The volume setting was turned just a notch from the lowest setting and it sounded crystal clear. I did get a quick feedback when I was about 1 foot in front of the speaker. That is not a problem.

My first reaction when I unpacked it was, It is kind of small and light. I am impressed with it so far and DO NOT feel as if I was ripped off. I really liked the headset feature. I am used to projecting my voice, now I find I got to learn to talk normal!

This is an ideal starter system for under $400 which can incorporate music with good quality sound. It fits nicely in my suitcase table and works fine with my Sony walkman.
Dennis Michael
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I just received my Fender Passport 250 System today. I have not used it in a show yet but have been playing around with it this afternoon. I am impressed. The system would be overkill for a birthday party but I can’t wait to use it in a school show.

I got it from Pro Stage and Lighting at http://www.pssl.com They had excellent service, promptly replied to my emails & had a prompt delivery. In fact I have to mention the delivery because I was amazed. It was shipped on the 20th and arrived here in New Zealand on the 23rd. (It is still the 22nd in the USA now) With the difference in time zones that is about 2 days delivery time. Not bad for the other side of the world. I would highly recommend them for anyone looking at buying the Fender Passport. They also offered free shipping within the USA and have a 110% price guarantee which I took advantage of. I got the P250 for less than $550. That worked out to be less than half the price I would have paid from my local Rock Shop, even taking the air freight charges into account.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
what about players? Any good ones out there on the low level of costs?
I would like it to have a remote and will fade in or out.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I am looking for a good player as well. I saw Ken Scott performing on his Birthday Dough video and was very impressed with the way he has integrated music into his show. You can't do what he does using an infared remote.

I am seriously looking at the Mini Tech, but I can't afford it now. The other alternative to the Mini Tech is the Virtual Soundman which is cheaper. It does not look as professional because the remote control has a long cord attached to a transmitter that can clip to your belt. If you run that cord up your sleeve then you have to keep the control pad either in your hand or up your sleeve for the whole performance.

When I was watching Ken's video I lost count of the number of times he put his remote down on the table and picked it up again. It was a lot and it would seem a major inconvience not being able to do that. I am sold on the Mini Tech, but my accountant isn't.

I noticed in an electronics shop recently, they now have very small sized mp3 players, the same size as a flash USB key chain drive. You could easily hold one in a finger plam. Skipping tracks and changing the volume could be quite easily done with your thumb. One of those is a possible alternative, but you would have to run a wire back to your amp. There might be a product somewhere that could give you a wireless connection but I am still looking.

Right now for my birthday parties I use a car CD player with an infared remote.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Andy, I use the Virtual Soundman Version 6. It costs $600, if it is still available. Version 7 is now shipping.

It is a less expensive alternative and works fine, but there is a major drawback, in my opinion. You have to stop each track with the remote...AND advance it to the next track while in pause (Ver 6).

For about $750, the Ver 7 will auto advance the track for you after pausing the current track. You still have to stop the current track yourself before it auto-advances.

If you use short sound-bites (sound effects) during your show, you'll have to pad the end of each track with dead space when you record your music, to give yourself time to stop it.

The Mini-Tech works similarly in that the only way to auto-advance is by using the fade-out feature. Anywhere during the track, one button press fades music, pauses, advances to next track.

The only way to have a one button press "pause, advance, ready for next track" is with Showtech's full blown system with programming features. Note: I'm only comparing functionality between the VSM and Showtech.

As for the VSM remote, I keep mine in my front pants pocket. The buttons are such that they can be easily accessed. They are raised, easily identified, even through the pants material.

I personally feel I made a mistake in justifying my purchase on cost. Now that I'm familiar with the different technology available, I'll be upgrading to a Showtech soon.

Hope this makes sense...

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1058 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I have used the cuemaster pro for several years in all shows except home parties.

http://www.geocities.com/cuemaster_pro/core.html

It has been fantastic. The ONLY thing I don't like is that it is rack mounted, so it's not as small as the other 2 systems on the market.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The choice on which one to purchase really hinges on what you want to do with it.

In a discussion with the Seller of the Show-tec, Min-tec, I told them I wanted to use it with flash pots and lighting. The Mini-Tec can't do that. After the lengthly converstation, the choice kept coming back to the Show-tec. It is a near future buy for me.

I personally drilled Ken Scott at the Kidabra Conference on this when he wasn't busy at his dealer booth. It is one thing to see the small posts here but imagine a conversation about it from those who use it regularly. Also back home here, there is another magician who uses it regularly and he reinforced what Ken had said.

The price is high, but I tire of buying things and then paying for the another better one. It is so much easier on the wallet to get the one that really works the first time. Like Tim above, I don't want to pay $600 then upgrade to $2400 later.

As for the Virtual Soundman, after reading about the "false advertisment" in the Magic Magazine and the bitter battle between comparing this with the Show-tec for less than half the price (It still is advertised this way in Magic Magazine) I won't consider it. It's like comparing a plastic chop cup with Johnson's Three Cups and Balls. It is an improper comparison. If any comparison is done it should be compared to the Mint-Tec and the Mini Tec is supposed to be better. If a dealer/manf. is deceiving me this way, how can I believe anything he has to say about it.
Dennis Michael
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
150 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
Whew, the discussion strayed a little there... back to the original... while you may not need a full system for small parties, at least add music to the act. Get a pair of battery powered speakers designed to be hooked to a Discman... hook up any inexpensive CD player, pop in your mix CD and go for it. The speakers and CD player can stay right in your roll on table, while providing music for the act. Nothing to plug into the wall... and adds an element of surprise when the music kicks in... and really cheap. Up grade later with lave mike, Virtual Soundman or Show Tech, Passport etc.

One aspect of the Passport that has not been mentioned... I like the ability to keep the volume/tone/balance controls backstage... so that if theyneed to be adjusted during the show, I don't have to walk to the front of the stage where the speakers are to do the adjustment (which risks feedback). Love the Passport 150.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I need sound reinforcement that doesn't take-up much space, considering the venues that I perform in. I use a Crate Limo amp, a nice speaker stand and a wired hyper-cardoid mike (a Sennheisser Evolution series 845s, with a Gim-Crack holder or weighted mike stand). I like it because the entire set-up is powered by its internal battery and it has a 50W output.

Be sure to get a speaker stand with a pneumatic safety feature. It'll keep the amp from crashing down if a pin is pulled or a screw is turned.

I gave-up on wireless mikes because they became obsolete almost as soon as I bought them -- the channels had too much interference. It's even hard to get decent sound from a wired lavaliere microphone and besides the kids won't stop joking about the cord that appears to come out of your ... Anyway, I use the Sennheiser mike because of the feedback rejection, as well as the high gain.

I got the amp for about $340, shipped, over a year and a half ago. Elderly.com had them. As a rule, you may want to consider a sound system for audiences of over 50 people, especially if the acoustics are bad. Noisy environments beg for a sound system, quite often.
Simon Williams
View Profile
New user
Reading, UK
54 Posts

Profile of Simon Williams
Dennis, how is the purchase of your Sekaku pas767 sound system working out? Have you used it at a show yet? Are you able to say what the wattage is?
I am looking to purchase a small system and would love to hear any updates you have.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

The system has a maximun of 20 watts, and it really is a good sounding voice PA system with audio input.

Right now, most of my weekends are booked until May doing seminars and I am spending time getting those done. This is my busy season. I'd rather be doing shows because that is so much fun.
Dennis Michael
Faroshuffle
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA (Orangevale)
69 Posts

Profile of Faroshuffle
Can someone post a link to SHOW-TECH if there is one? I'd prefer direct from the manufacturer. Smile
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1153 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
http://www.wirelesswizardry.com/product.htm

It is a costly investment, but absolutely the best investment I have made in my show. After using my Showtech for two years and making notes after shows on (I should have played this, or that would have been a cool sound effect) I spent this entire last weekend re-doing a whole new music and effects recording. Only problem, I am right at the edge of filling up an entire 74 minute minidisk.

You will be thrilled with what this will allow you to do to take your show to the next level.

Kerry Pollock at Wireless Wizardry is one of the nicest guys in magic.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Michael

You need to get the upgrade for the Showtech. You can use 5 discs and have 25 programs.
Ken

Ken
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Ken you did do a great job at MagiFest. The mental epic was very funny, you handled music cues very well. Hope you have a great 2003!

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Tony Chapparo
View Profile
Special user
Albuquerque, NM
705 Posts

Profile of Tony Chapparo
I just purchased a small portable PA system.

It is a Hisonic SH 120B, it comes with 3 wireless mics and 15 watts of power.

Should be adequate for what I plan on using it for.
cost: $150.00 including shipping.

http://www.hisonic.net/SH120B.htm

I will post my opinion on this when I have thoroughly checked it out.
Tony Chapparo
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
New England
137 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
Had fun reading this. Thanks to all. I travel with a full PV sound system. 300-watt amp. Speakers, stands, cords etc. It is nice, but a bit heavy.

The Fender Passport 150 sounds great! It has been added to my wish list. I have found that for smaller shows, I can just set up one speaker and that is just one less thing to carry. For private parties, I picked up powered speakers for a computer system. Staples, Best Buy etc. have some peppy systems for your computer that may work for you. Also, Cambridge sound works has some nice systems. http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com They have a neat partial unit called Model Twelve. http://www.hifi.com/store/category.cgi?c......c1md12ee

As far as the Show Tech... AWESOME!!! It makes your one man show look like a two or three person show! Not only will it play your music better that your normal sound person, it will run AC outputs, AND run a light board!!! It really is MAGIC. People ask me all the time who was running the music, lights, etc... It ROCKS! Can't say enough about it.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2003-03-30 22:03, Tony Chapparo wrote:
I just purchased a small portable PA system.

It is a Hisonic SH 120B, it comes with 3 wireless mics and 15 watts of power.

Should be adequate for what I plan on using it for.
cost: $150.00 including shipping.

http://www.hisonic.net/SH120B.htm

I will post my opinion on this when I have thoroughly checked it out.

Sounds too good to be true. I'd expect a lot of interference from competing radio signals. I have a $220 VHF true diversity wireless mike that was obsolete as soon as I bought it, a few years ago.
Shadow
View Profile
Regular user
Akron, OH
171 Posts

Profile of Shadow
I still think it is hard to beat the StageMate frome Carvin.

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.ex......;P1=SYS1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Sound System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL